BOTM 6/10: Fighting Cock

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Gonna get an early start this month since it seems last months BOTM didn't get too many responses.

So here it is. Let's hear it for the Kickin' Chicken. Fighting Cock. The bird with the bite. Cheers! Joe

Thanks Joe I am going to give this one a try. I have always passed on this one for whatever reason. This is the push I need to pick up a bottle and give it a pour.

Thank p_elliott. He came up with the suggestion. I've only had a couple tastes of this one. If you need a pour with a little extra "ummph" to it, this is a good one. Joe

Fighting Cock is one of my favorite upper lower shelf bourbons. It's got some kick to it until you get used to it but once you do it's a very fine tasting bourbon. If you have never tried this get a bottle and give it a shot, it will grow on you. Every bottle I have had is better than the last and it's less than $20.

What he said. Excellent bourbon and value, it keeps getting better.

Gary

I have a bottle of the Fighting Cock 103 with the clear label aged six years. While it doesn't present as a complex nose or palate, it is nicely smooth for 103 proof bourbon. The nose is light and aromatic with vanilla, oak, nuts and spice. The taste follows the nose with a sweet entry that quickly launches into drier oak-spice notes with a little bit of the chick'n-kick'n going on. The finish was rather short which automatically induces the glass gripper muscles to go into clear-reset-repeat mode.

The price is definitely right and if you are results oriented, FC will get results. If you haven't tried it before, buy a 200 or 325ml bottle and give it a try :drinking:

Paul is right on the money. FC is a good, fun, in your face bourbon. On those days where you're in the mood for a drink with a little attitude, this is it. Love the price as well

Gary

if you are results oriented, FC will get results.:drinking:

LMFAO I haven't heard it put that way before but yes if play with the chicken enough you will get results.

I've only had one bottle of FC in my time, but I enjoyed it quite a bit, and to reiterate, especially for the $16 I paid.

I can't get it around here or I'd probably have some around -- I liken it to OGD 114 without the wood.

I'm on board with all the good that has been said about this fine budget bourbon. Fighting Cock is my college football season pour. I take a bottle with me when the neighborhood gets together for the Saturday evening SEC games. A nice, sharp, neat drink, with a cinnamononnonomny character. It also holds up very well as a mixer, for those that splash it with Coke, ginger, etc. Plus, it makes for a great conversation piece towards the end of the game, when everybody is a little shnockered. :D

Another fine example that you don't always have to plop down a lot of money to get a quality whiskey in the bourbon aisle.

I really would like to see the sales numbers for FC in South Carolina. Could be a really big seller this Fall in Columbia, as some are predicting the 'Cocks may challenge the SEC East elite.

I live in Columbia, SC ...home of the USC Fighting Gamecocks and I can tell you it cannot be kept in stock during football season. I drink it while watching USC football games in a glass I picked up at Heaven Hills. My daughter wears a Fighting Cock bandanna that was a promo with a bottle last year. So it does quit well here. I tried it along side Baker's last night and was amazed at the similarity. Not my favorite but a decent drink with a group watching football.

Of all the bourbons I have had, this one benefits the most from the slightest splash of water. Not to take the proof down, but to tease the flavors out. Straight it seems a bit lacking in flavor for a 103/6yr pour.

If anyone knows where I can find this in CT, let me know. Not having any luck so far.

If anyone knows where I can find this in CT, let me know. Not having any luck so far.

The only bottle of this I ever got was in CT . . . I can't for the life of me remember where, though . . . somewhere north of Waterbury, I think, but I'm only guessing. I know I ate at a great little pizza joint in the same plaza.

:rolleyes:

I've had some great tasting bottles of FC and a few that were just okay but nothing to write home about. I agree with the suggestion to add just the tiniest splash of water to bring some flavors out. While difficult to find in my neck of the woods, I always have a bottle on hand when football season comes around. They seem to go hand-in-hand, along with a few cold beers.

I've only had one bottle of FC in my time, but I enjoyed it quite a bit, and to reiterate, especially for the $16 I paid.

I can't get it around here or I'd probably have some around -- I liken it to OGD 114 without the wood.

Not having tried FC I was thinking to myself, it sounds like my experience w OGD. Now I have a frame of reference....a somewhat in your face old fashioned bourbon (what I used to associate with bourbon taste wise) that can grow on you.

a somewhat in your face old fashioned bourbon (what I used to associate with bourbon taste wise) that can grow on you.

In my ubernewbie days, I used to describe to my girl how I really liked the liquor that kicked you in the face. Which led me to bourbon, which led me to OGD114, which led me to Stagg/WLW/(any other 120+ proof whiskey).

I'll take a crane kick from Ralph Macchio, to the face, any day.

As Mark Twain might have put it, there are three kinds of lies -- lies, damned lies and global warming science. - Melanie Phillips - The Spectator UK

Per My Girlfriend, there are three kinds of lies -- lies, damned lies and Religion.

I've always been curious about this juice...guess I'm going to have to pick up a bottle for an outdoor/camping overnight gig coming up... :D

TP

I've been looking for a bottle since this thread started. Evidently, it's not widely available where I am. I think I've seen it in Delaware before. Looks like I'll be taking a trip up there REAL SOON.

So we had a party at the house for the Belmont Stakes and I picked up a bottle of Fighting Cock. We used most of it in a Mint Julep Punch (found the recipe on the internet, was deliscious). I saved a couple of pours for myself and had it over ice, and it is a mighty fine bourbon (especially for the money, I think it was $13 for a liter).

Picked up a bottle tonight for 17. I don't hate it... Pretty smooth for a 103.

Tempted by this as it sounds pretty promising from the reviews you guys have given it, may not be able to place an order until later in the month though.

Had a few friends sample with me the other night. Lewd references to how much they enjoyed my c*** made for a very entertaining evening indeed...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.