BOTM 6/10: Fighting Cock

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been looking for a bottle since this thread started. Evidently, it's not widely available where I am. I think I've seen it in Delaware before. Looks like I'll be taking a trip up there REAL SOON.

yah, ive never seen in the DE/Southeastern PA region. if anyone has line on where one might find a bottle in this area, please let us know.

I'll second the comment about a little water teasing out more flavors. Yum, one of my favorite value pours.

I keep wondering what a few more years in the barrel would bring to the party - and FC is a party.

What would extra aged FC be called...... Old Cock?... errrr no.

Punch Drunk Cock?

i thought Limp.

but that probably wouldnt sell many bottles.

As long as it doesn't turn my vision blue.

I enjoy Fighting Cock, I bought 3 bottles when i visited Toddy's last year in June. Great flavor good on those cold California nites.

I'll second the comment about a little water teasing out more flavors. Yum, one of my favorite value pours.

I keep wondering what a few more years in the barrel would bring to the party - and FC is a party.

I believe it used to be 8 years old instead of the 6 it is now.

I believe it used to be 8 years old instead of the 6 it is now.

Fighting Cock Classic

Fighting Cock Classic

Just Classic Cock, i would think.

Got in a tangle with the Kicking Chicken on Saturday night and dusted half a bottle by my lonesome while enjoying a nice bon fire. Every now and then the FC is as smooth as can be, and that was the case that night. I'll be buying another bottle soon!

the Curmudgeon Cock... Too old to fight, but will shake a stick at all you whippersnappers crossing his lawn. My Dads picture will be on the bottle.

I bought my first bottle of FC last weekend. I thought I'd do a three-way head to head with similar whiskeys in my cabinet:

JTS Brown BiB: Grassy, slightly sweet nose. Sweet and delicate at first, then a heepin' helpin' of burn. Hot finish with a bit of mint. Not much of a sipper, I kinda feel like I've been assualted, but seems like it would make a good mixer for bolder drinks like whiskey sours or bourbon & coke. Oscar called this the PBR of bourbons. I see what he means.

Old Ezra 7/101: Minty/Eucalyptus nose, much more delicate. It's very soft, even delicate for something at 101 proof. On the palate, it's saltwater taffy, and caramel brownies. The finish is delicate, with a bit of burn, but a lot of mint.

Fighting Cock: The nose is all caramel, practically no mint at all. It is also considerably darker than the other two. Which is odd, since the Old Ezra is a year older, but there may be whiskeys much older thatn 6 y/o in the FC. Surprisingly smooth for 103 proof. A lot of caramel, sweet and smooth. I like this a lot.

I like FC a lot. I think it is one of the best value bourbons out there. However it can be improved. Let me explain. If you come across a bottle of the 8 year, which is also very nice on it's own, but a little woody. Try vatting the two together. I had very nice results and lost the short comings that both had. My bottle was from 1997, so they should be out there. All in all a great value.

Although its current 6 year incarnation is a little disappointing if you've had the 8 yr, I (Dave) am glad to see FC getting some recognition. Tina doesn't care much for it, but I always found its "in-your-face" quality appealing. The six year is still in your face even though it doesn't have the hint of pepper I remember from the 8 yo version.

FC lovers on this thread might enjoy this post we made years ago:

Fighting Cock Art

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to opening the bottle I bought after reading this thread.

I was very impressed. For some reason I didn't think this would be all that great. I will definitely buy another, if/when I see it. A great value bourbon that should be a staple on any shelf.

I agree with the "in your face" comments. Quite bold, in a good way.

• I like it 1

Never tried Fighting Cock, but will do the next time I see it.

From what I'm reading here I imagine it'll go something like this;

Cheers!

Thanks Ed, you have crushed my rockin' star dreams. That rooster would have taken me to the top. THE TOP.

• 1 month later...

The more I drink it, the more I like it. I've noticed some similarities between Fighting Cock and Old Grand-Dad BIB (more than just proof being only 3 different). I LOVE OGD BIB and now finding some common elements in the FC is making FC quickly head to the top of my favorite bourbons list!

• 2 weeks later...

I can only remember Fighting Cock from my rowdy College days. Fighting cock gave me alcohol poisoning two weekends in a row. Both times a fistfight broke out. All my buddies agreed that Fighting Cock was best left at the store.

I can only remember Fighting Cock from my rowdy College days. Fighting cock gave me alcohol poisoning two weekends in a row. Both times a fistfight broke out. All my buddies agreed that Fighting Cock was best left at the store.

So, if I read this correctly, FC = alcohol poisoning and 2 fistfights. Ummm....I don't think the problem was the Fighting Cock....:rolleyes:

First time: Shame on FC

Second time: Shame on you

In my rowdy college days, we were more careful, drinking WT 101. Its lower proof kept us out of trouble.

Actually, in my college days, Fighting Cock didn't exist. There was a brand called Fighting Velociraptor, however.

I saw a 375 mL of the fighting bird this weekend for $9.99, and I couldn't resist. Not a bad drink at all. I put it over ice since I didn't have time to let it sit in the freezer like my other whiskeys. It had a much longer finish that I expected. Definitely a good, inexpensive bottle to have around for guests or for mixing at a minimum, and not out of the question to become a regular value pour.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.