BOTM 6/10: Fighting Cock

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up a bottle of Fighting Cock today to check it out. Will have to dial some up tomorrow for the game. Go Hawks!

• 1 month later...

I got my first bottle recently. I'm having one now.

The nose gives you a good whack, but ...

...the flavor comes in, black pepper and cinnamon body slamming the ethanol nose to the mat; down one, ...two ...

...couple drops of water ...

...flavor forces reconstitute expotentially, regroup, and metamorphize...caramel, toffee, maple... overrun taste buds, setting up a defensive parameter from the gums to the tonsils, ...wire for reinforcements to secure positions...

a cavalry charged mouthful... settles all remaining micro skirmishes.

Good. Damn good bourbon.

Haven't tried it yet, but I think Ill be getting a bottle to celebrate the Gamecocks finally winning the SEC East.

• 4 weeks later...

As I finish the bottle, I am sad to see it go. The flavors started coming together today as I polished it off.

The nose is light and aromatic with vanilla, oak, nuts and spice.

I agree... Love the nose. Mucho vanilla which has a dark chocolate tone, and nuts (roasted almonds?), yummy.

I can see myself buying this again.

I finally found this for sale in Maryland and picked up a couple of bottles to have during the SC games.

its actually quite good. i get some vanilla/maple syrup type notes. ill definitely be crossing the Mason-Dixon every now and then to pick up some of this.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried this when it first came out. My take was it's the Heaven Hill profile with more heat. Robust, traditional caramel/oak Bourbon with an undeniable image.

I find this to be a good all around value play for mixing and using in recipes.... eggnog, marinades, etc. A bit hot to my palate for a neat pour.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Haven't tried it yet, but I think Ill be getting a bottle to celebrate the Gamecocks finally winning the SEC East.

just saw this post. heck yah Cocks winning the East!

i picked up a handle of this the other. it is a great workhorse bourbon. ill be having a pour for the spring game for sure.

• 1 month later...

Someone gave me a bottle of the FC a couple years ago at Christmas. For the life of me I can't remember how it tasted. Will have to buy a bottle soon and give it a taste test. :P

fc-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a bottle of this over the weekend and was quite pleasantly surprised.

On the nose, big notes of rum, a little varnish, something vaguely Canadian (?!). On the palate, the corn is very forward, it is pretty sweet at the initial attack (with ice, even moreso), but it's a clean, refreshing sweetness. The finish is a little more spicy but not overly drying. The whole thing is very well balanced, I think.

In the "it reminds me of..." category, the nose reminds me of rum and of some quality Canadians-- CC12, Forty Creek. The initial entry is reminiscent of some older WTRBs.

Overall, though, it reminds me of a younger, cleaner version of EC12 (the good examples of EC12, that is).

I think it's a pretty good value for the price. But you need to like them sweet...

Good notes, Brisko, thanks.

I do like sweet bourbons, and I keep meaning to pick a bottle of FC up. But I sent my mom to the liquor store when she was in KY to get me some value bottles I'd never tried, and I fear that the HH BIB (6) and JTS Brown BIB that she picked up for me are basically the same thing. Now I just have to wait to get those bottles from her (she's 600 miles away).

Good notes, Brisko, thanks.

I do like sweet bourbons, and I keep meaning to pick a bottle of FC up. But I sent my mom to the liquor store when she was in KY to get me some value bottles I'd never tried, and I fear that the HH BIB (6) and JTS Brown BIB that she picked up for me are basically the same thing. Now I just have to wait to get those bottles from her (she's 600 miles away).

• 2 weeks later...

On Fighting Cock's website, they claim most bourbon is made with wheat, but they use rye, instead, to give their bourbon more of a kick.

I thought most bourbon was made with rye instead of wheat? :skep:

Fighting Cock is one of the great bottom shelf whiskies. It's young and sweet but I'm never disappointed with it. Thank goodness it comes at a good high proof. I could easily see them putting it out as an 86 to try to increase sales.

• 1 month later...

Had the chance to pick up a liter bottle of FC from around 1980 yesterday (still has tax stamp). It states 8 years old. IMHO it is much better than the current offering and has a different flavor profile. The store had about 2 doz bottles left at around $15 each so I plan to go back and get some more. My question: has it always been an HH product?

I didn't think it existed in 1980. I thought this was a relatively new creation of HH. Can you snap some photos and post them up?

I can't figure out how to post a picture but I drank in in college in the 70's. Here is a quote from another website.

"Fighting Cock is an old brand whose history holds some interesting tidbits. According to Sam Cecil, in the mid-'70s "Ben Ripy was operating [the bottling plant at the old Hoffman Distillery in Anderson County], and was bottling the brand Fighting Cock as well as some private brands for Julian P. Van Winkle III...". In 1983, according to Sally Campbell, Julian purchased the Hoffman Distillery and he operated its bottling plant for nearly twenty years as the Old Commonwealth Distillery (RD#112) until his recent move to Buffalo Trace. Cecil noted that, as of 1968 Hoffman (operating as Ezra Brooks then) was still distilling new whiskey, so it's interesting to speculate what became of it. It might have been the Fighting Cock being bottled (it would have been six to eight years old, depending on what Sam meant by "mid-'70s"). Julian might be able to tell us if he knows where any of the other Hoffman stock went. Or maybe not.

Whiskey made in 1968 would have been just 15 years old in 1983. Anyway, they weren't bottling Fighting Cock at Hoffman after 1978, because Heaven Hill purchased the brand that year, according to KY attorney general Trey Grayson. I'm positive that the bottles we have certainly don't date back to that time, so they're probably just an older version of the same 6-yr-old FC we don't like today."

The label is paper and has a tax stamp. The store I bought it from had about five or six cases left. I don't think he has bought any since the early 80s except for cheap stuff that sells locally. Ifg I can figure out how to put a pic I'll do it.

this use to be a college favorite of mine. Price was good, plenty of flavor, stood up well to mixing, and was always on stock.

While my tastes have changed since then, along with the budget, it would be good to take a trip down memory lane.........

B

To me Fighting Cock tastes like a slightly older Old Grand Dad BIB- and since I LOVE OGD BIB, I like the Fighting Cock quite a bit. I wonder how and why they arrived at 103 proof? Always thought that was a bit odd.

I always thought it was to compete with Wild Turkey ... just a little higher proof.

I always thought it was to compete with Wild Turkey ... just a little higher proof.

I'd be surprised if that wasn't it. Both Eagle Rare 101 and Fighting Cock, named after birds and over 100 proof, are were Wild Turkey competitors. Fighting Cock just turned it up to 11.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.