BOTM 6/10: Fighting Cock

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 4 months later...

Enoch,

Assuming that you are in Columbia, SC , how in the world is it that "The store I bought it from had about five or six cases left"? Even during their losing seasons, the Gamecocks played in a full stadium and many fans consoled themselves with another pour of FC. :grin:

I haven't picked up any FC103 yet but I did see case of it the other day. The outside of the case says, "Warning! Fighting Cock Inside!"

Enoch,

Assuming that you are in Columbia, SC , how in the world is it that "The store I bought it from had about five or six cases left"? Even during their losing seasons, the Gamecocks played in a full stadium and many fans consoled themselves with another pour of FC. :grin:

Actually this store is not in Columbia and not on Google. They don't have any new FC only the old stuff. I've bought about a doz bottles and traded some of that away. I have to be careful buying from this store. If I buy too much at once I think he thinks he's getting cheated and it will be off the shelf the next time I go there. It's not in an area many Gamecock fans will go.

Actually this store is not in Columbia and not on Google. They don't have any new FC only the old stuff. I've bought about a doz bottles and traded some of that away. I have to be careful buying from this store. If I buy too much at once I think he thinks he's getting cheated and it will be off the shelf the next time I go there. It's not in an area many Gamecock fans will go.

Even better! FC dusties and plenty of them. Ya done good, boy!

I picked up a Fighting Cock 7/103 a few months ago while dusty hunting in Kaufman, TX.

It was a very strange store. The front door was locked with a doorbell. The bell rang across the street at a small convenience store owned by a funny Paki guy. This guy walks out, comes and asks me what I'm looking for and I give him the collector spiel. He takes me inside and the store is separated by a wall with a window and all the liquor behind it. He takes me to the back and I start digging through mountains of disgustingly dusty shelves in a 15x15 room. I see all kinds of liqueurs from 60's and 70's... even some old school Bacardi I had never heard of. Among all the trash was 3 half pints of FC 7/103 with red tax strips. No barcode or Gov't warning on the back at all.

I picked them all up and walked back across the street to the convenience store to pay. The guy starts to tell me the story of how he acquired the liquor in the first place. Apparently it was originally owned by a competitor. That competitor died and his widow wanted to get rid of the store so my Paki friend bought it for a steal. Then he says "I guess you could say I really killed my competition!"

We had a good, morbid laugh.

At any rate, the FC I have is amazing. Truly an old school flavor to it that I don't sense in any current offerings. Shame I only have 1 half pint left...

I picked up a Fighting Cock 7/103 a few months ago while dusty hunting in Kaufman, TX.

It was a very strange store. The front door was locked with a doorbell. The bell rang across the street at a small convenience store owned by a funny Paki guy. This guy walks out, comes and asks me what I'm looking for and I give him the collector spiel. He takes me inside and the store is separated by a wall with a window and all the liquor behind it. He takes me to the back and I start digging through mountains of disgustingly dusty shelves in a 15x15 room. I see all kinds of liqueurs from 60's and 70's... even some old school Bacardi I had never heard of. Among all the trash was 3 half pints of FC 7/103 with red tax strips. No barcode or Gov't warning on the back at all.

I picked them all up and walked back across the street to the convenience store to pay. The guy starts to tell me the story of how he acquired the liquor in the first place. Apparently it was originally owned by a competitor. That competitor died and his widow wanted to get rid of the store so my Paki friend bought it for a steal. Then he says "I guess you could say I really killed my competition!"

We had a good, morbid laugh.

At any rate, the FC I have is amazing. Truly an old school flavor to it that I don't sense in any current offerings. Shame I only have 1 half pint left...

Do you mean 8 year or was there another version out there before the 8 year? If so, I have some looking to do.

• I like it 1

Do you mean 8 year or was there another version out there before the 8 year? If so, I have some looking to do.

It was a 7 year. Here is a picture

lPm4o.jpg

It was a 7 year. Here is a picture

lPm4o.jpg

Wow, something else to add to my quest. This appears to precede the 8 and 6 year. Thanks for the info.

• 3 months later...

Finally got around to trying a bottle and maybe it was just my low expectations but I was pleasantly surprised. I had expected something more along the lines of Old Granddad but FC103 has become my new low$$ pour, replacing EW1783.

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier this week we were at Heaven Hill in Bardstown. If you haven't been there, you ought to make a point of visiting. They are very welcoming and accommodating. I asked to taste some Henry McKenna Single Barrel ($35) and Parker's Heritage ($120 for the wheater) and Joe didn't even blink at bringing out the Parker's. (Which is marvelous juice, by the way.)

In the course of conversation, I mentioned that I was buying some FC for my son-in-law because he graduated from South Carolina where he met my daughter. Joe's reaction was that the FC was rather "strong," by which from his tone I assumed he meant "rough." My first reaction was that it was probably not good to be disparaging the company's product but then attributed it to his desire to promote the stuff that sells for a lot more than $16. At 103 proof, I suspose FC qualifies as "strong" but, in my experience, when the Gamecocks are ahead in the game, the FC doesn't taste at all rough to me. Frankly, my first purchase of FC was because of the USC connection. Since then, FC purchases have been made purely on the satisfaction it provides.

At 103 proof, I suspose FC qualifies as "strong" but, in my experience, when the Gamecocks are ahead in the game, the FC doesn't taste at all rough to me.

i'm a college football fan and i can confirm that when my texas longhorns are winning, ALL bourbon tastes marvelous. when they are losing....:smiley_acbt:

• 9 months later...

This is one of my absolute favorite bourbons. It's not overly complex, but I love the flavor and the price. I also found it interesting that for me it tastes very similar to VOB BiB, which I thought was cool cause I can't get the VOB BiB here so I won't feel like I missing out to much if I can just grab another bottle of FC. To me the main difference is the FC is sweeter while the VOB BiB tastes "drier". FC is also the first BOTM I bought solely based on the BOTM thread on here before I joined the site...glad I read the thread.

Oh yeah, and for full disclosure since there's a bunch of college football banter on here I'm a Clemson fan...not too much a fan of those cocks...but not in a position to talk trash.

That's an interesting take on FC vs VOB. I'm looking forward to seeing your Tigers play my Tigers - I think it'll be a closer game than most people think. :-)

• 2 months later...

I bought my first bottle of this stuff last night. Suffice to say that I, a budget-conscious bourbon drinker, regret the crime of not trying this earlier.

I agree with all of the above comments (sweet, hot in a nice controlled way, simple but good, good bang-for-buck, etc.) but would also emphasize the mouth feel as a selling point. I am a huge whore for mouth feel, and I have never had anything so rich, heavy-bodied, and oily for $16 a fifth.

FC is a little scary... 103 proof, super sweet AND spicy... and only $13 for 750ml.

It's the kinda juice you could OD on. ;)

But seriously, one of my favs. I too am annoyed that I waited so long to try it.

It was the package that put me off at first as it appeared to be just a high proof fraternity party special. Was pleased to discover appearances were deceiving.

It was the package that put me off at first as it appeared to be just a high proof fraternity party special. Was pleased to discover appearances were deceiving.

Same here --- the name and the logo scream 'rot-gut', and that kept me away for a long time... but that aside, I find more to like about this stuff then most anything in the $20-$30 range.

What's funny is that it is the name and package that makes it such a great seller here in Columbia, SC....home of the Fighting Gamecocks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.