What are you drinking this moment?!? (continued)

MurphyDawg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

That teetotaling plan of mine lasted all of five days. I was determined to give it a run (and I will give it a run again soon), but my father-in-law came a visiting. He drinks very little for health reasons, but he loves his flavors, spirits and food included (sound familiar, Jeff?). So, I treated him to ORVW 13 yo rye on Friday (as I have talked to him over the phone for months about this whiskey) and GTS on Sunday. I was letting him taste both so he could choose one to take a bottle back with him from my stash. (See, Bobby, I am romantic.) Of course, that broke the freaking ice for me and I started on Friday and kept on rolling through Sunday.

And worked sucked so bad today that I wanted to savor some ORVW to even things out. So back to the topic of this thread, my first imbibment tonight was ORVW 10 yo, but, dang, I know you are tired of me saying this, GTS has spoiled me, so I needed something with more flavor, so my second imbibement was ORVW 15 yo. grin.gif

BTW, the imbibements this weekend were ORVW 13 yo Rye on Friday, GTS on Saturday (finished bottle #2), Wathens on Sunday (yes, I opened GTS bottle #3 for my father-in-law, but somehow resisted myself), and ORVW 10/15 tonite. Damn, life is good.

Kentucky Spirit with a single ice cube. Until recently, for the last several months I have been drinking my bourbon almost exclusively neat. The last week or so I have been adding one small ice cube to most of my drinks. This has been a pleasant experience as I am discovering new flavors that aren't always apparent neat. That said, I think I prefer KS neat. The ice seems to be masking the warm vanilla and caramel notes that I love, and letting the spicier rye side show through. Not bad by any means, but if it ain't broke... wink.gif

I've decided tonight is a good night for Whiskey Sour's.. So, Jim Beam 7 year for me tonight.. Not the best in the world, I know, but when I mix Bourbon/Whiskey with a mixer (rarely) I usually focus more on a good mixer than the bourbon. smile.gif

Hi to all. Started with EW single barrel 93 Barrel 039 neat. OMG this is nice. Put the cork back in before I decided to kill it and started on the VOB 86. I took one sip neat and decided to add the coke. So I'm a wuss. It has a bit of a pepper taste. Even with coke I am not that happy. I would go back to the EW but I want to keep it for guests. I have a little Ezra I should finish so that may be next. Enjoy! and Cheers.

Back to one of my firsts (being relatively new to bourbon) Buffalo Trace (bought at the distillery and signed by Elmer). I have always like this one. Honey nose, nice mouth and mild finish. I have not tried EW products...but your post makes me interested smile.gif

I started off the evening with Old Fitzgerald 1849. smirk.gif I moved on to Weller Centennial. cool.gif I poured Old Rip Van Winkel 10yr 107. shocked.gif I am now on the Old Weller Antique 107. blush.gif It's a very smooth quiet night. Perfect night for tying trout flies. Good bourbon to drink and good dogs by my feet, life is good.

mark h.

Last night I opened my first bottle of Old Fitzgerald 1849. I was impressed enough with the BIB to spend a little more money. I find it nice enough, but slightly underwhelming. To me it tastes like Old Weller Antique 107 without the medicinal qualities or the tannins. I have been wanting to try the VSOF, but now I think I might wait on something else.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

I'm drinking a toast to Tom C. with 20 year old Pappy Van Winkel in hopes that all his hard work will pay off in the not to distant future. Huzzah! - Linn

You must be a wheater man thru and thru. What'd you think about following Old Rip 10-107 with the Old Weller Antique?

Some of us here have likened the Old Weller Antique to a "poor man's" Old Rip while others here cringe at making such a comparison. I think the 2 have definite similarities but would side with Old Rip any day if I had to make a choice.

-Troy

I am thouroghly enjoying Old Charter's Proprietor's Reserve, with just a splash of water. What a great bourbon! It has a nice rye spiciness that is just delicious. grin.gif

Bob

A friend came by, a few shots of Stagg followed by a few of Wild Turkey 12. Actually the WT held up good , I have had dissappointing experiences following the Stagg with anything! grin.gif

In one hand I have a glass of Stagg. In the other a glass of Booker's. Life is good laugh.gif

My third drink of Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve. This has to be as fine a bourbon as can be had at 90 proof. Very smooth yet rich with flavors of orange and vanilla. And there it is again: hints of acetone smirk.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

And there it is again: hints of acetone

Enjoying a large Baker's 107 before my evening meal. I think this bourbon exudes a cognac like quality, that when I am in the mood, must rate as one of my faves. I think one or two more after dinner drinks is likely!

Began with a pour of the last bit of Jefferson's Reserve left in the bottle and now cracked open a new bottle of Elmer T. Lee. Ahh, the taste of that BT Mashbill that most here have grown to love. Both neat of course. Life is definitely good! smile.gif

--> Mark R.

I'm with ya 'Dox. I had the exact same thing last night! laugh.gif .....Going with the Rock Hill Farms tonight! grin.gif I get alot of shucked green corn, and butterscotch on their pours which I really love. Life AND BT is GOOD! See ya, H'wood cool.gif

Again, Rock Hill Farms in a large crystal snifter (and yes, I am a firm believer in what good glassware can do!)....Waterford Crystal! laugh.gif Like I said I get a lot of shucked, green corn and butterscotch. Not a twin, but to me it favors Blanton's in many respects. See ya, H'wood cool.gif

Tonight it's Old Commonwealth neat. Julian can sure pick a batch of barrels, I tell you. Yummy, this whiskey.

Another glass of Old Chater Proprietor's Reserve. I can't believe how long and how many times I passed over this fine bourbon. Rich and mouth coating. Tonight I am getting a little cinnamon with a creamy butter-rum like flavor. Not so much acetone tonight smirk.gif

Jeff,

I'm glad you like the Proprietor's Reserve. It really is a fine tasting bourbon! It's definitely rich, creamy, and mouth coating. Do you get much rye flavor, like I described in the Tasting thread? I'm working on getting the Classic 90 so that I can do a comparison.

Bob

Old Rip Van Winkle 7/107 was what I had last night, so I'm feelin' ya! I just didnt get a chance to pop on and post about it!!

TomC

As a promise to Bettye Jo, tonight I am sipping 93' EWSB neat and enjoying every glass! I'm really beginning to fall in love with each passing year of Evan Williams Single Barrel...

--> Mark R.

Mark,

I have yet to purchase a bottle of the 93. How do you compare it to the last couple of years? I say that because I really like the 91, but I could pass on the 92.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!