Rye-ality

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yes, as of 2009- I have a bottle I bought late 2009 before I left wichita from a place that moves that stuff quick, still says DSP 354 on it. decent stuff... much better than it once was.

As I understand it, Brown Forman is still making rye for Heaven Hill but Heaven Hill is also making some themselves at Bernheim.

Rittenhouse originally came from that area (the Rittenhouse Hotel is a Philadelphia landmark) so it probably has a mix of old and new fans. My guess would be that's one of their bigger markets for that brand.

I've been to the Rittenhouse with a bottle of the Rye in hand. 'Twas a very good time. My father stayed there 50+ years ago, so I decided to pay a visit as well.

Philadelphia is one of my favorite cities. I've never had a bad time.

Pennsylvanians on the other hand.....I have a love/hate relationship with. On one hand, they fund my paycheck. On the other, there's 200,000+ of them driving around Ocean City on any day in the summer without a clue as to where they're going.

Having said that, I can't leave out the Baltimorons who do the same thing while "down the ocean, hun."

I think it's time for some Rittenhouse on ice to cool me off from a few hours of "surfing". When it's waist high, the term falls into quotation marks.

Is Rittenhouse the only Pennsylvania style rye? I really like it, as do others, I'm surprised there isn't more. Especially around these parts.

Is Rittenhouse the only Pennsylvania style rye? I really like it, as do others, I'm surprised there isn't more. Especially around these parts.

Continental and Michter's would have been two of the major players in the Pennsylvania style of Rye, and they are both long gone. Your best bet is most likely to hunt down a bottle of Old Overholt from the early 80s, as it was another Pennsylvania rye at one point. It's a different style, but a good rye!

Continental and Michter's would have been two of the major players in the Pennsylvania style of Rye, and they are both long gone. Your best bet is most likely to hunt down a bottle of Old Overholt from the early 80s, as it was another Pennsylvania rye at one point. It's a different style, but a good rye!

One of the most amazing things about Old Overholt is how consistent it's character has been over the past century. A few years ago some of us did a vertical from several different distilling eras (notable posts 22 & 23).

We also checked out Rittenhouse over time a while back (posts 51, 57, 58).

To the credit of American distillers, they kept the tradition of rye alive when it was unfashionable and very little was being sold and in my experience none of the many distillers who passed the torch along ever let the quality slip greatly. Good rye has been trickling out all along, if you could find it.

Roger

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.