Blending Rum

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was talking to Tony, Joe from Rockford and Jake recently about some blended rum I was drinking (blended by me). I have found that blending rum is different from blending bourbon or malt or other Scotch. The results I prefer best are to balance out young rums, including some white ones (which may have a few years since the colour is often taken out by some form of filtration), with medium and old rums. If you use only old ones or old and medium, I find the taste too woody. There are some great old rums ones I know, e.g. Zacapata 23 (spelling may be off there), but in general I find wood does not necessarily make a better rum whereas it does so with bourbon and rye up to a point. It doesn't matter really too how many rums you use, as long as the balance is of specific components. I find this way, the drink has a milky mouth-feel, and the fine flavours from the older stock rolls in more as it goes down, not upfront on the palate. When I used to smoke cigarettes (many years ago), I used to like a glass of rum with it (well, bourbon too). Sometimes I dream still of smoking a cigarette. One day I might try one again just for fun. I used to like strong ones, like Philip Morris or Camel plain ends, or Export A in Canada, very heavy flavours. Or Sweet Caporal with the fly fisherman on the yellow pack (aging myself here). It's been almost 20 years since I stopped but I don't rule out the possibility of doing this with a glass of rum one day, maybe.

Gary

Gary,

While I don't have your persistance in blending, I've tried blending/vatting rums on a couple of occasions, but have not hit my desired results yet. What I've been trying to do is take an over the top sweet rum like Pyrat and blend/vat it with something with a little more depth and body (e.g. El Dorado, Zacapa (not been brave enough to use the 23 yet). I really feel that if one could get the proportions right, it would make a dynamic blend/vat.

Tom

I agree Tom. It really is a question of balance and sometimes small adjustments in the proportions make all the difference. I would try one bland rum in your combinations, something soft and good but not too assertive. Sometimes it brings rich and heavy components into a new and winning relationship.

Gary

Gary

I find blending Rum is much easier than vatting Bourbon. Seems to be much easier to anticipate results.

Mixing Cuban style (Matuzalem, Cubany, Monte Cristo etc) with the heavier, sweeter Demerara style (el Dorado, Zacappa, Zaya etc) can give excellent results. Also Cuban style and some of the "flavors added" Rums like Pyrat and nearly any spiced Rum will give a good result that will benefit further with the addition of a heavier Demerara.

steve

Sounds like blending and balancing identifiable styles of rum is the way to go. I saw Sea Wynde on our shelves here which states it is a combination of pot still Jamaica and Demerara rums. Any opinions on that brand? Here you have the link of the pot still character but two countries' production, I'd have thought Demerara is the heavier in style..

Gary

I haven't tried Sea Wynde. It has received mixed reviews on Rum Forums.

• 1 month later...

I tried Sea Wynde at a "tasting tower" of LCBO. I thought it was excellent, full-flavoured, creamy and smooth, dryish. A Blend of Guyana and Jamaica pot still rums, very well done.

Just sampling now my own blend, which I made for Tom and Barb's famed dessert, Bananas Foster. It is 2/3rds a complex blend of aged and younger rums, and 1/3rd Wray & Nephew Overproof (white and unaged of course). It's actually very nice neat with grassy, molasses and creosote notes. How high it will blaze in the Bananas Foster remains to be seen. I could see it too with lime, ice optional.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.