Black Tot Rum

silverfish
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

From examiner.com:

"The last remaining stone flagons of the original rum once served

to the British navy have been gathered, re-blended and bottled

as Black Tot "Last Consignment" British Royal Naval Rum."

Sure is an impressive looking package but at $1000., I'll probably

have to pass.

blacktotopenboxshotsc.jpg

I know at least one of our members has a bottle. Com'on, bring out the tasting notes! That's probably as close as I'll ever have a chance to be to Black Tot.

• 1 month later...

For disclosure, I should say that I do work for the company that has bottled Black Tot.

Tasting notes by Dave Broom, as well as my own less than objective scribblings are available on The Whisky Exchange blog:

http://blog.thewhiskyexchange.com/2010/08/black-tot-rum-tasting-notes/

There is also an official site with more info here: http://www.blacktot.com/

Apologies for tooting our own trumpet, but thought these might be of interest.

After reading the tasting notes on the blog that was posted above all I can say for a thousand bucks I'm glad I won't have the opportunity to buy any.

I already have a bad bourbon habit, no need to add to my sins.

Damn it sounds sooo good.

Is this the same rum as the British Royal Navy Imperial rum, but broken into 750 ml bottles?

Vange, it's not the same as Pusser's (which was made to a similar formula after the abolition of the tot). It is genuine British Royal Navy rum from stocks left over after Black Tot Day. It's been bottled in 700ml for Europe, but I believe there will be a 750ml US release as well.

Hadn't seen those on sale before, Vange - thanks! I think those are the same as the flagons we used. The difference is that our flagons came from three locations (three different soleras decommissioned in 1970) and Black Tot was a blend of rums from all three locations. The other thing is that the rums in those flagons showed a lot of variation, even from the same location (probably due to differences in porosity and varying headspace in each flagon). The first one we opened was stunning, others less so. I'd be careful about buying a flagon (although they do look pretty amazing and obviously you do get rather more rum for your buck). Apart from anything else, although it's a gallon flagon you are not getting a gallon of rum, unless they have opened them and topped them up.

[edited for typos/crappy spelling]

I have owned one of these for years now. Saving it for a special day of which I dont know what that will be.

I didnt pay 3K though......

Thanks for the info,I assumed it was a blend of these flagons.

I'm jealous - Just be careful when you come to take the cork out!

I opened our first flagon in my boss's office a couple of years ago. It was a very delicate operation, which took about five minutes - the cork had the texture of wet cardboard and I constantly thought it was going to fall in. There was a hushed silence as I extracted it, then a relieved round of applause as I got the last piece out - followed by much glugging, swigging and sighing. A great moment.

Very interesting. I'm trying to understand. Are the demi-johns available for sale, or just single bottles? In either case, for the first time, or have some of the stocks been released before? I did read the links but couldn't get a quick read on it.

The rubber/oily notes noted by Paul Pacult derive from pot distillation in my opinion. You can taste such notes in Sea Wynde and also Myer's Rum (called Plantation Punch Rum in some markets). El Dorado's range in the older years also offers such flavours. All these are excellent products and excellent values for what you get although I take it the British Imperial Rum is something that stands apart. (Pusser's is very good too but I'd place Sea Wynde and El Dorado's 12 and 15 year above).

Gary

Hi Gary,

It's the first release of Black Tot, but it looks like some similar flagons to those we blended Black Tot from were on sale (in the US at least) previously (which I wasn't aware of).

Hope that's clear, it 's all quite confusing.

Cheers,

Tim

So, I am a little puzzled as well. I thought Castle Brands bought up all the remaining demi johns (600 or so) and packaged them as British Royal Navy Imperial rum. Yet now, this same rum has resurfaced, blended, and bottle in 750 ml bottles for 1K.

FYI. Tim you posted a response as I was typing. So I didnt see yours until after mine posted.

Hi Vange,

Perhaps we got some of our stock from Castle? I know we had more than 600 flagons.

I never quite fully believe all the stories associated with long lost spirits, but I cant say that I wasnt suckered in by thinking I had 1 of 600 demi johns left.

Look at it this way, Vange - if we did get some of our stock from Castle, you probably have one of a lot less than 600 remaining flagons seeing as we've blended ours together. :lol:

All very interesting, thanks gents for this.

Rum is a great drink and benefits by being blended (it is almost of the nature of rum to be blended I would say). I do some of my own blending at home, recently I mingled 4 aged rums, one from St. Lucia, one from Guyana, one from Costa Rica and one from Cuba (I'm in Toronto and used Havana Club's barrel strength, the blue label). The result is really good and while each on its own certainly is excellent, I believe I've come up with something unique. It's fun to do and creates new flavours.

Gary

Look at it this way, Vange - if we did get some of our stock from Castle, you probably have one of a lot less than 600 remaining flagons seeing as we've blended ours together. :lol:

HA, good point! The BRNIR is a treasure in my bunker. It won''t be easy to uncork.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.