Help recommend a Rye

harshest
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I do plan on giving it a try one of these days, as well as everything else on the shelf at the local liquor store.

Same here. I'm hitting every whiskey (bourbon, scotch, etc). from the bottom up. The wallet is limited. I've slowed down the pace now that I found ryes. For now I keep a rye, a scotch, a bourbon, something to mix with, and something new. Going to take many years, hopefully I have time.

I'm saving the empty bottles as I go, not sure what I'll do with the empties yet.

I would start with WT Rye and Rittenhouse BIB. JB Rye and Overholt are OK but when you consider they are only 80 proof and the $ are roughly right similar. Also the JB product has a unique mustiness. Baby Saz is also a very worthy pour. All should be had for $25 or under.

If you can find it and are ok Laying out 60 bones for it Thomas Handy is very very good.

Same here. I'm hitting every whiskey (bourbon, scotch, etc). from the bottom up. The wallet is limited. I've slowed down the pace now that I found ryes. For now I keep a rye, a scotch, a bourbon, something to mix with, and something new. Going to take many years, hopefully I have time..

I did this for a while, just had one bottle open with a couple more waiting when that one died. I found that having multiple bottles open at the same time really helps you understand the whiskey. I went a bit crazy and now have too many open, but 3-4 open bottles to bound around with at times can be pretty helpful!

I'm going to be a negative bastard here and hate on the Handy. I really don't think it's worth the money. Yes, it's good, but even factoring in the barrel proof, it's overpriced compared to the Saz jr. Take that money and buy the VWFRR and still have enough left over for a bottle of Ritt BiB.

I'm going to be a negative bastard here and hate on the Handy. I really don't think it's worth the money. Yes, it's good, but even factoring in the barrel proof, it's overpriced compared to the Saz jr. Take that money and buy the VWFRR and still have enough left over for a bottle of Ritt BiB.

I'm really glad to read that. I'm not fan of Handy either and though we're in the minority, I'm happy to not be alone.

I luv the Handy. You two are stoopid...;)

I luv the Handy. You two are stoopid...;)

Says the guy who can't pull up his big boy pants and compete in the BTOTY. ;)

(The proper response should have been: Good, more for me. :grin: )

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting conversation. It reminds me of when people ask me which is a better handgun: Glocl or Springfield XD. To be honest they are both good and it boils down to what is good for you.

I would add one more dimension that perhaps has not been added and that is availability. Wild Turkey is found on shelves all over the USA. Wild Turkey has got to be the most easiest to obtain Rye whiskey in the USA in general terms. I do see Jim Beam Rye in the yellow bottle quite a bit and Old Overholt too but not as widely distributed as Wild Turkey. In MY area (Southern Florida) that is about the most you will find in the average booze shop. You REALLY have to beat the bushes to find Sazerac ( I think I know what I could find a bottle in a boozer about 60 miles away) but it jis ust plain not on the shelves here in Homestead. I suggest this dimension should be considered as , for the most part, when suggesting Rye many will NOT have actually tasted the many small bottlings and harder to find brands.

• 1 month later...

Availability is a problem. I've tasted Rittenhouse BIB and really like it, but I can't find it anywhere. I think they've all been snapped up since the change from NAS to 3 year, but I can't even find the 3 year.

Availability is a problem. I've tasted Rittenhouse BIB and really like it, but I can't find it anywhere. I think they've all been snapped up since the change from NAS to 3 year, but I can't even find the 3 year.

Since when did Ritt BIB go to a 3 year age statement!?!

Dunno...the bottles that I snagged in WVa in Sept were the standard NAS BiB.

If I were to rank my favorite, easy to find Ryes, I'd put Ritt BIB at the top.

Although I find myself agreeing with Scott (ox), Josh (josh), and smokinjoe about whiskey preferences as often as not, I find myself strongly disagreeing with them on the Handy vs Saz NAS front. Saz NAS is one of the worst tasting whiskeys I have ever endured, and I would rather be punched in the throat than drink it neat. It is amazing that something as delicious as Handy can come from the same mashbill.

Which is why taste is so amazingly subjective. I'll buy Handy over Stagg, seriously. With that comment, 90% of the site just added me to their "do not talk to that guy" list. ;)

That goes totally against the grain- yet I can agree with Josh about how incredible FRM09 is, and with Scott about the Ritt BIB, and with Joe about how easy, and enjoyable, and buttery OCPRSS can be to drink.

So to all of you newbies- Read as much as you want, and read as many ratings as you want, and don't be surprised if someone else's 99 is your 67. Or whatever. To quote some guy I know, "It's all good." Perhaps he's right.

Interesting conversation. It reminds me of when people ask me which is a better handgun: Glocl or Springfield XD. To be honest they are both good and it boils down to what is good for you.

MJL, I would like to meet you and discuss pipes, whiskey, and firearms someday. I think the resulting conversation would be interesting. I'm a rarity- I am going to pick up a Glock 19 this spring, but I would own a 1911 in a heartbeat. I like both guns, for different reasons.

...JBW is a great example, you can find tons of posts on how nobody likes it, but for me, I really enjoy it.

I have never had rye before and thought asking what everyone else likes was a good place to start. I think next I will give JB Rye a try, although it got poor reviews from the people who commented on this thread, it fits in my budget. Who knows I might like it.

You may end up liking the Beam Rye. in my younger motor-crazed building days, a friend and I would imbibe lots of either JBW or JBR mixed with Barq's Root beer. I have a soft spot for beam rye, and if I had to build another motor tomorrow, I'd go buy a bottle.

....Take that money and buy the VWFRR and still have enough left over for a bottle of Ritt BiB.

EDIT: I was going to say something about how I thought VWFRR was over-rated, but then I went and poured myself some to verify. Dammit man! I love good ryes, and I'd buy another bottle of VWFRR. It was picked for a different profile than the typical rye-spice- the fruit is absolutely delicious here.

that being said, I'm the odd one out and would still take handy. ;) If VWFRR was bottled at 107 though, It might have been a different story.

If you like Jim Beam rye, you'll like Old Overcoat, err, Overholt. It's basically the same thing, assuming it's a current bottle.

Hmm. that's like saying that the current Beam produced Old crow and JBW are the same thing. ouch.

There is no such thing as 3yo BIB. BIB requires ageing for at least 4 years.

Ah, well put. I was thinking if it was under 4 years it had to have an age statement, but I believe you're correct.

• 2 months later...
Of the Rye's available here in Michigan and considering I don't want to pay over $30 a bottle which of the these would you recommend and why? Do either of these have higher Rye content than the others?

JIM BEAM RYE

SAZERAC RYE-6 YR

WILD TURKEY RYE

Thanks

Doug

I recommend the Sazerac Rye 6 year. A problem is that liquor variety is pretty limited in MI (especially with ryes) and pretty pricey (due to the state liquor taxes, I believe).

If you have the opportunity, visit Chicago and take advantage of their better variety and prices. (And, if you are ever in MD or Washington, DC, I would make a point of bringing bottles back. Much, much better prices and variety than in MI.)

I recommend the Sazerac Rye 6 year. A problem is that liquor variety is pretty limited in MI (especially with ryes) and pretty pricey (due to the state liquor taxes, I believe).

If you have the opportunity, visit Chicago and take advantage of their better variety and prices. (And, if you are ever in MD or Washington, DC, I would make a point of bringing bottles back. Much, much better prices and variety than in MI.)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.