Rare Old Taylor Interiors

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I came across a web site with a lot of interior photographs of the Old Taylor Distillery, in its current ruined state, which I've never seen before. They are here.

Thanks for that link Chuck.

Is it possible to go there and check this place out?

Amazing photos. Thanks for sharing the link! When we drove by there back in April it was very hard to resist the temptation to hop the fence and do some exploring.

Amazing photos. Thanks for sharing the link! When we drove by there back in April it was very hard to resist the temptation to hop the fence and do some exploring.

I'm going down to KY in late July or early August, tell me more, I want to check it out.

I'm going down to KY in late July or early August, tell me more, I want to check it out.

OT and Old Crow are on the same road. You bascally turn left out of the Woodford Reserve parking lot (which is also a cool old facility). The Old Taylor castle kinda pops out of nowhere on your left (I think) after maybe a mile or two of some of the most beautiful rolling bluegrass horse country you'll ever see. Here are the photos I took. Amy has more:

post-3804-14489816731499_thumb.jpg

You can see how low that fence is on the left in this next one.

post-3804-14489816731736_thumb.jpg

post-3804-1448981673198_thumb.jpg

Thanks for sharing Chuck. Does anyone know who owns the site now? It strikes me as a site that'd be ripe for restoration given its history and layout.

That is surely one of the coolest distilleries there ever was. Thanks for posting

Thanks for sharing Chuck. Does anyone know who owns the site now? It strikes me as a site that'd be ripe for restoration given its history and layout.

There were a couple of links at the bottom of that page of pictures that reference a couple of different pages. One page state that Cecil Withrow owns it, but the page looks kind of out of date. - http://www.ellenjaye.com/ghosts.htm#taylor

The other links to (http://heartpinereserve.com/) which seems to be selling wood and bricks from the old place.

Man, I'd love to have been able to get inside to take pics there. I had to settle for walking up and down the road on top of the low wall.

Here are my pics from spring of 2009. Please forgive the odd looking guy in the one pic. I think he was looking for a place to take a leak. :cool:

I was going to take a leak but saw some electrical conduit down in the drainage basin and didn't want to risk getting a zinger!

Thomas

It has been like that for a long time. Everytime someone starts to talk about preservation or restoration nothing ever comes of it. You can see a lot from outside the fence. I was inside the fence and inside a couple of the buildings (legally) once about 20 years ago but even then they wouldn't let me into the distillery proper. Those are probably the only interiors I've seen taken since it closed.

The current issue of The Bourbon Review has a realtor's ad on page 29 that features the Old Taylor site for sale. The copy reads: "...still sports many of the original buildings, wood, hardware, and 83 acres of rolling forest."

List price is only $1,900,000

Here are my pix of the Old Taylor exterior. It is a beautiful place and it was appropriately raining when we were there, making it look so sad. Unfortunately we see a lot of this sort of thing in Detroit--beautiful old buildings past their prime left to deteriorate in the elements.

post-4234-14489816736617_thumb.jpg

post-4234-14489816737014_thumb.jpg

post-4234-14489816737014_thumb.jpg

How cool is that. Thanks so much Chuck and Amy. Would just like to sit in the middle of all that and have a bourbon. Fantastic.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.