Hypothetically Speaking

tsangster
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If you were about to become a dad for the first (probably only) time, let's say around early October, and wanted to purchase a box of cigars to share with a few friends, what would you choose. Now, suppose you're a wuss and prefer mild-medium smokes with a budget of $100-$150. Extra credit: What bourbon (similar budget) would you pair the stogies with?

How many are in a box?

I find myself in a similar situation in January.

I asked the exact same question a year ago in cigarpass and went with Don Pepin's "My Father" for cigar smokers and Fuente's It's a Boy (Girl) for casual smokers.

A very good (<$100 per box), mild, reasonably-sized cigar is Macanudo Hyde Park. I believe any bourbon goes well with any cigar.

ummm ... congratulations?

Yes, hypothetically. :grin:

(padpadpadpaqdpad)

The Hyde Park Mac's are a good choice and a tasty cigar. The My Fathers are expensive, ~$12 each and excellent flavor. For what you're looking for; mild-medium reasonable priced I would select 5 Vegas Gold. Since these cigars are on the mild side (still good flavor), I would pair it with a bourbon that has a little spice to it. An AAA Ten Year or ETL would be good choices.

short list so far:

CAO Gold

Alec Baldwin SCR

Oliva Serie G

In the humidor waiting to be tested:

Rocky Patel Vintage 1999

Will look for this weekend:

Hyde Park

5 Vegas Gold

Thanks for the responses.

Good luck finding that Alec Baldwin SCR. ;)

There are tons of great cigars to choose from, but my only advice would be to save at least 1 (or more) of them for the "little one's" special occasion(s) "down the road".

Congrats!

ummm ... congratulations?
Yes, hypothetically. :grin:

(padpadpadpaqdpad)

I'm glad I wasn't the first to post something like the above.

Let me clue you in tsangster, your life is over.

Here's the order of importance for the future 3 of ya.

1. New baby,... that's the only way it should be.

2. Your wife and new Mother,...you wouldn't want it any other way.

100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. You,...that's just the way it is and the sooner you realize it the better off you'll be.

Thanks for the tips OscarV. Working on getting my priorities straight now. Already researching education options, college funds, etc. Even considering a car purchase that will serve as a hand-me-down in a few years. The new Challenger sure is purty but I have more time under the hood of Mustangs.

Added Montecristo White Label to the short list over the weekend. Jury is still out on the Rocky Patel 1999.

Good luck finding that Alec Baldwin SCR. ;)

Fudge. I knew I was going to eventually do that. Didn't he move to Canada when W won the 2004 election?

I'd recommend maybe a La Gloria Wavell or maybe a La Gloria Figurado Natural. Tasty, but not really full bodied.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'll throw this out there for anyone else who might care or be looking for similar ideas.

My brother will become a father for the first time in August. Last week, when my wife was out of town, I distilled my own white dog, and charred my own white oak barrel. (I also bought some Gerogia Moon since I didn't yield what I wanted.)

My plan is to dump the whiskey into the barrel as close as possible to the day my nephew is born. My brother plans to serve the barrel at his son's wedding.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'll throw this out there for anyone else who might care or be looking for similar ideas.

My brother will become a father for the first time in August. Last week, when my wife was out of town, I distilled my own white dog, and charred my own white oak barrel. (I also bought some Gerogia Moon since I didn't yield what I wanted.)

My plan is to dump the whiskey into the barrel as close as possible to the day my nephew is born. My brother plans to serve the barrel at his son's wedding.

What size barrel? And if you plan on having any whiskey left in 20 years or so, you will probably have to keep that barrel stored below ground level or at least in a somewhat controlled environment. At about 5% evaporation per year, you would end up with only 50% of the distillate left at 10 years and that's assuming we're talking about a 55 gallon barrel. A colder climate (think Scotland) will slow the aging process down quite a bit. It's a cool idea for sure but that barrel will have to be managed.

From my understanding, you'll have to use a pretty large barrel, anything smaller than the standard won't hold up well AT ALL for long periods of time. The oldest I've had was 28 years... and it was well past its prime. Many 20+ are less than desirable, IMO it's hard to keep bourbon that old from going South.

Joe at Binny's was talking about someone who used a 1L barrel for only a few months and it ended up being WAY, WAY WAY past anything even close to drinkable.

• 1 month later...

If you and the other smokers are not regular cigar smokers you might want to offer a classic lighter cigar like the Macanudos that are being suggested. I like the idea of smoking a classic cigar that has been around for years as this will allow a referance point down the road when you tell your son what you were doing the day he was born. The Romeo y Julieta are also classic and very nice. Another that comes to mind that is very smokable to non-cigar smokers is the Bacarat brand. In general try to get thicker cigars and smoke them slowly as they will make it a more enjoyable smoke for the novice. You might try to obtain some of the Cuban brands from overseas sources (cough, cough) that might be found online. Oh and congrats to all parents, grandparents, etc involved.

Short list is getting longer:

Macanudo Hyde Park

5 Vegas Gold

Romeo Y Julieta Reserva Real

Just finished a CAO Gold Maduro - first CAO I've had with burn issues. Is this a maduro thing?

Another mild cigar that I haven't seen mentioned but that would fit your budget would be something from the regular Fonseca line like their 5-50 or Toro. In a milder cigar, I've always found them to be a good value.

Mike

• 1 month later...

And the winner is:

CAO Gold - Enjoyed trying all of the cigars recommended but ended up going with an old favorite (not to mention the good price on cigarbid). Thanks for all the input.

10:26 this morning - Baby girl weighing in at 6lb. 14oz. I'd smoke one of the CAOs but 1:45 came mighty early this a.m. Gonna finish this OGD BIB, eat a frozen pizza and hit the sack.

And the winner is:

CAO Gold - Enjoyed trying all of the cigars recommended but ended up going with an old favorite (not to mention the good price on cigarbid). Thanks for all the input.

10:26 this morning - Baby girl weighing in at 6lb. 14oz. I'd smoke one of the CAOs but 1:45 came mighty early this a.m. Gonna finish this OGD BIB, eat a frozen pizza and hit the sack.

Congrats on your new addition to your family! Best wishes to you, mom, and your little girl. Savor that CAO later on, and make sure to savor all of the great experiences that now lie ahead of you.

:toast:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.