2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games are being held in Lexington, Kentucky, from September 25 to October 10. Happily, it starts one week after the Kentucky Bourbon Festival ends, so it shouldn't interfer with that, but I'm posting this for anyone who may be thinking about visiting Kentucky during that late September, early October window.

Don't.

From what I'm told, Kentucky will simply be full. I'm not a horse person (I just eat like one) but I'm told this is like hosting the Olympics or the World Cup. Hotels will be full not just in the immediate Lexington area, but Louisville, Cincinnati, Bardstown and anywhere else there are rooms to be had.

The website for the event is here.

When I visitied Woodford in June, they were dreading the amount of people this would bring in. They didn't think they were going to be able to handle the crowds coming in. I know very little about the event, but I'm surprised to think it would spill into Louisville and Bardstown like that. However, the people making these estimates know a lot more than I do.

Last year Louisville had the Ryder Cup and everyone down there tells me this is much, much bigger.

Google tells me that the total attendance at the last WEG in Spain was 300,000 for all events.

With participants and spectators from around the world coming in for 2 weeks of competition, I don't think it is a stretch to think that there are not enough hotel rooms in Lexington to cover this.

For the more discerning, you can rent a private home instead of slumming it in a hotel. :grin:

http://www.equestrianhomeleasing.com/browse_weg_rentals.html

Last year Louisville had the Ryder Cup and everyone down there tells me this is much, much bigger.

Wow. I was in Louisville for the Ryder Cup in '08. I ended up driving back to Indianapolis instead of seeing any of the events since my daughter decided she was going to be born 2 weeks early, so I didn't get a real feel for the impact on the community. The hype and noise in the media was tremendous.

Hopefully this does well for the Kentucky, Southern Indiana, and Southern Ohio communities, and our favorite manufacturers develop a few new fans as well!

Wow. I was in Louisville for the Ryder Cup in '08. I ended up driving back to Indianapolis instead of seeing any of the events since my daughter decided she was going to be born 2 weeks early, so I didn't get a real feel for the impact on the community. The hype and noise in the media was tremendous.

Hurricane Ike, or what was left of it, had a much bigger impact on the community. Tens of thousands of people were without power during the Ryder Cup.

• 1 month later...

Gotta admit, I'm gettin excited about this. Just got a ticket to the opening ceremony for the games. Should be a good time.

Gotta admit, I'm gettin excited about this. Just got a ticket to the opening ceremony for the games. Should be a good time.

Are you doing the Beam trip?

Are you doing the Beam trip?

Nope. Just hanging with Mom and Dad . Can't wait to be home for the week. :grin:

Oh man. As a local I am not looking forward to this. It is going to be such a clusterfuck. Lexington can't even handle it's own small population, much less 600,000 other people (not sure how many tickets have actually been sold). Traffic is mainly what I'm dreading. Other than that it will be cool to meet people from all over. Work is going to be nuts I'm sure (huge liquor store off I75).

As for the Alltech products, Kentucky Ale and Light are pretty decent beers for what they are but nothing special. The Bourbon Barrel Ale is WAY overrated. It's really not that great, but it's ok. BBC (Bluegrass Brewing Company) from Louisville has a Bourbon Barrel Stout that it much better if you like stouts.

Alltech just released Pearse Lyons whiskey (not bourbon). It's all malt I believe, more of an Irish style whiskey, but cannot be aged more than 2 years. They haven't had their distilling equipment long. The bottle doesn't say it's age and the whiskey is fairly light, even for an Irish whiskey.

Guess that's all. If you're coming, hope you enjoy your stay! Expect the city to be a mess though. We have no idea what to expect...

A friend in Lexington told me the Pearse Lyons whiskey is very similar to an Irish whiskey and pretty good. I don't think it's all malt, however. More in the style of an Irish blend.

A friend in Lexington told me the Pearse Lyons whiskey is very similar to an Irish whiskey and pretty good. I don't think it's all malt, however. More in the style of an Irish blend.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.