BOTM 8/10: Weller Centennial

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This was the bourbon that reinvigorated my interest in finer bourbons in the late '90's. While I moved on to other favorites over time, this one is always a sure fire winner. I need to dig one out of the bunker and join the discussion.

Randy

I didn't even realize you had used the term "thick" one post before me... must be a recurring theme.

Just means our respective tasters are in working order....... :grin::grin:

Just means our respective tasters are in working order....... :grin::grin:

Either that or they are both broken :grin:

This thread has caused a weakness in me and I have looking over the WLW Cen bottles in the bunker to see if I want to open one.

But I stayed strong because I have eleven open bottles now and that's a lot for me.

So, I opened up a WLWeller 12yo selected by Binny's.

I love the nose, it is multi layered, several different aromas over a few minutes time and you don't want to stop.

But the taste is a letdown after the nose, thin is the first thing that comes to mind especially after all this Centennial talk. No the term thick can't be attributed to this bourbon, thin, and I'll say smoothe but that isn't a positive.

Medium finish and that's better than none.

Cen was 10yo 100prf, 12yo is that and 90prf.

But judging from the taste they are not the same whiskeys. I think 12yo is the same as OWA and SR.

The Centennial is from another batch, it's just to rich and deep to be related. I suppose BT is using it for WLarueW and I haven't run the numbers but getting $65 for barrel proof vs $38 for 100 proof doesn't seem like they did the profits much better if any at all.

As I said eariler, the WL Weller Centennial is becoming a ledgend.

I used to know a shop with a decent-sized stash of dusty-ish Frankfort bottles. I might have to see what they still have and set up some trades!

Well, put me in the group of "wanna -try" and while I'm at it I'll get in line for any that are willing to trade. In the mean time I guess my BTAC WLW is as close as I'll come to this legend.:drinking:

I guess my BTAC WLW is as close as I'll come to this legend.

Life could be worse my friend.

Oh, btw, if it is the '09 Larue, then hit that thang with some water.

That makes 2 of us...

Rod, I'll take care of that. I'll get some in the mail to you next week sometime!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, time flies, it's almost the end of the month and just today I open not one but two bottles of Weller Centennial. (Opened both without breaking either cork.) The primary differences between the two bottles one had a Frankfort label with a UPC code of 88004 and an 8 on the bottom of the bottle while the other had a Louisville label with a UPC code of 88076 and a 4 on the bottom of the bottle.

Set up a small tasting using two identical tulip shaped glasses. Brushed my teeth and did all the dental care like a dental hygienist and when to work.

First there is no spectral difference between the two bottles. Comparing them using different backgrounds I can't detect any difference in color. (I wish I had access to a scanning spectrophotometer to determine analytically if there is any difference but I don't.) Tasting: pure enjoyment, similar to when I did this in the past any difference between the two bottles that I sampled is difficult to find. Same nose, taste, feel, and finish. First class enjoyment.

Perhaps someone else or I at a different tasting may find some differences but this evening I could not.

I find this to be either good news or my inability to discriminate.

Will

Tasting: pure enjoyment, similar to when I did this in the past any difference between the two bottles that I sampled is difficult to find. Same nose, taste, feel, and finish. First class enjoyment.

Perhaps someone else or I at a different tasting may find some differences but this evening I could not.

Will

I never had the chance to taste them side by side but thought they were pretty much the same too so I'm with you on my inability to discriminate. I've only got a few pours left of any Centennial, a Frankfort, and I'm not happy about that.

Well, time flies, it's almost the end of the month and just today I open not one but two bottles of Weller Centennial. (Opened both without breaking either cork.) The primary differences between the two bottles one had a Frankfort label with a UPC code of 88004 and an 8 on the bottom of the bottle while the other had a Louisville label with a UPC code of 88076 and a 4 on the bottom of the bottle.

Set up a small tasting using two identical tulip shaped glasses. Brushed my teeth and did all the dental care like a dental hygienist and when to work.

First there is no spectral difference between the two bottles. Comparing them using different backgrounds I can't detect any difference in color. (I wish I had access to a scanning spectrophotometer to determine analytically if there is any difference but I don't.) Tasting: pure enjoyment, similar to when I did this in the past any difference between the two bottles that I sampled is difficult to find. Same nose, taste, feel, and finish. First class enjoyment.

Will

I haven't hit the Centennial in quite awhile and think i need to revist it. I have L'ville bottle thats pretty damn good if memory serves me right.

BT still has some good wheaters somewhere because I've recently had a OWA bottle that was nearly as good as the Centennial.

I took an extremely small pour out of a Frankfort Weller Centennial mini sent to me by a fellow SBer. First Class Enjoyment is a very good explanation of my encounter. Thank you Will for summing this up so eloquently.

I'll make it my duty to drink the rest, with notes, before the month is up.

I have 6 bottles of Julio's 13 yr left. This one is in my top 5 for sure. I'm sure they didn't just throw the brand away as some have alluded, we will continue to see it in the BTAC WLW and probably bottled by the Van Winkles and for a much heftier price. To think I paid around $25 per bottle for mine.... I should have bought the entire store!!!

That's an apt description that jives with the bottle I tasted. I'm having an early Frankfort from a half-empty bottle right now. It's fantastic bourbon that hides it's alcohol well. The nose takes some time to develop in the glass but it's a very rich, velvety and tasty pour.

Having had the Louisville bottle, I can say it's clearly better to my taste. The nose is far more complex and interesting and the taste is just out of this world. The Louisville pour I had tasted like an SW product, whereas the Frankfort does not.

That said, I have never and will never pass a bottle of Centennial, regardless of vintage.

Through the kindness and generosity of some fellow members, and a little luck while dusty hunting, I've been fortunate enough to taste six or seven different bottlings of this wonderful bourbon.

• 4 months later...

This brand has just the right amount of everything, nose, body, palate, round and full, it achieves a balance that I have rarely experienced. Wish I still had some.

• 1 month later...

I am so lucky to have come across two bottles of this (Frankfort).

I had several pours of it last night... it was just suppose to be one pour. This bourbon has got me miffed. It is so GOOD! Why would they put an axe to a gem like this?

Thick is a great way to explain this, sweet in the best possible sense of the term. Every sip that perfect sweetness lingers and when it does fade you just want to let some more roll over your tongue.

At the present being, I have shot of an email to BT asking them to reconsider bringing this back as it would server a great niche in the wheated world, priced between the SR/OWA/WL12 and the Van Winkle/WLW.

I know, silly to think an email would do anything, but I always try to voice my opinion, you never know. Back in the beer world, a large number of us made a big enough stink, for long enough, to get Stone to re consider coming to CT, and eventually they did bring their products to us.

Tasting this last night prompted me to have a taste of Weller 12. I can't see this being the same whiskey. Weller 12 is thinner and has some fruitier notes. The only thing I have had that reminds me of the Centennial is, well ... WLW.

This week, I plan on some hefty dusty hunting. Cheers!

The only thing I have had that reminds me of the Centennial is, well ... WLW.

This week, I plan on some hefty dusty hunting. Cheers!

That is why they discontinued it.....

age it a bit longer and sell it for 3 times the price of the centennial.:smiley_acbt:

That is why they discontinued it.....

age it a bit longer and sell it for 3 times the price of the centennial.:smiley_acbt:

Yep, but thats why I love WLW.

Ahh, if only I had gotten in the game earlier I would have a basement filled with Centennial and ER 10/101.

Like I said when I made Centennial the BOTM, I was surprised it hadn't been done in the past. I know some of you may get tired of my "three bears" analogy(s), but Centennial is one that holds true to that reference. It's not too smooth/sweet, or too hot/spicy. It's just right. I know that for all intensive purposes, there's no such thing as a/the perfect bourbon, but Centennial comes pretty close. IMHO, it has just the right amount of age, proof and flavor. A true classic. If only..................(big sigh) :rolleyes: Joe

I have a question about Centennial. Was it ever available in bottle sizes other than 750 or 50ml? Just curious, thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.