Ale-8-one at Walmart

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

When I'm in my hometown of Mansfield, Ohio, I find myself at Walmart because that's where my dad wants his prescriptions filled. Last time I was delighted to discover that they had Ale-8-one, the Kentucky-made ginger ale that is my preferred mixer if I'm in the mood for bourbon with a soft drink (which happens occasionally in summer). I've never seen it elsewhere in Mansfield. I've never seen it outside of Kentucky except perhaps right across the river, so I wonder if they're expanding their distribution area.

Even though I brought home a couple of six packs from Cumberland Falls last week, there was a recent article in the Atlanta paper that stated that it is now available in Atlanta. It seems it's more of a limited thing, with an individual (who is a big fan of Ale-8-One) getting a distribution deal. So, it does sound like they are opening up the distribution channels. Good for us!

• 6 months later...

Man, I miss Ale-8. I still have a few bottles left from when my folks visited, it's a great mixer. A homemade favorite: The Kentuckiana (a variation of the Horse's Neck) 1 part bourbon (rye-heavy, bulleit is a perfect choice up here in Ontario) 2 parts Ale-8 dash of lime juice OR a lime twist (for fancy lads, I usually go with the lime juice because that's how we cheap kids used to do it)

They've been expanding. I've seen it up in Dayton occasionally over the past few years. I can get it at the grocery store here in Cincy; I've even seen it at a number of gas stations in town.

It's funny that this thread, dormant since last summer, would reappear today since just last night I was telling some people the story of finding it at Wal-Mart, and it was probably the first time I've mentioned Ale-8-one since last summer.

The ale8one.com web site (sorry I can't link from where I'm posting) has a detailed map on their distribution area. It is still not available unfortunately in the western Kentucky area which is where I am the most in my travels there.

I checked out the Ale 8 website and it lists CCE as a distrbutor in Columbus,OH. They distribute to a number of surrounding counties. Mansfield is in Richland county which isn't listed on the website so either CCE Columbus is covering the area or someone else is distributing farther north!

Thomas

Wal-Mart also does its own distribution and Ale 8 may not even know where Wal-Mart is selling it. I imagine Wal-Mart buys direct and handles its own distribution. It probably doesn't buy through a distributor.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.