Google map of American distilleries

macdeffe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi Bourbon Experts

I've been toying with world map of whisk(e)y distilleries but had to divide them up due to limitations of google maps

Here's the american one : http://bit.ly/bNM4HN

As I am close to clueless (well almost) about american whiskeys, and surfing the internet the state of various distilleries can be hard to determinate, so any input is welcome. Distillery I missed, distilleries that hasn't been operating so long whiskey from them isn't really availbale anymore, wrong postions, etc.

It was very fun to surf the internet looking for the exact position of distilleries

Kind regards

Steffen

PS : other parts of the world, various trivia quizzes about whisky at my blog, its dominantly Scotland thou :

Look at your Bernhiem (Heaven Hill) location, now go across Dixie Highway to the West, right there you will find the Old Forester Distillery. Less than 100 meters.

I'll add, since you have other dead distilleries:

In Owensboro, KY:

Charles Medley Distillery

corner of Ebach and Texas

Barton Distillery

4th St and Barton Ave

Frankfort, Ky

Jim Beam (Old Grand Dad)

Old Grand Dad Rd.

Old Taylor Distillery

approximately 4438 St Highway 1659 Frankfort, Ky

Old Crow Distillery

~ 3384 St Highway 1659 Frankfort, KY

I am really trying to only include dead distilleries which whiskey is still available on the general market, which means there's casks in stock being used for bottlings available today. Port Ellen and Brora in Scotland were the ones I had as "text book" examples of this in Scotland

With Bourbons being matured for a shorter time than single malts, I'd reckon it would general be harder for closed bourbon distilleries to be included

It can be hard to hard to judge. If you think I have added to many old ones , please let me know

I am looking on the likes of Shelter Point in Canada and Las Vegas Distillery to see when they start production

Steffen

Can you give the dead distilleries a different pin color to set them off?

Of the ones I listed, still in use I believe: Beam Frankfort (bottling and aging), Old Crow (aging), Barton Owensboro (bottling and aging). Charles Medley has some currently delayed plans to reopen.

There's a difference between, say, Old Taylor and Old Grand-Dad. Old Taylor is a ruin, completely decommissioned, as it were. Old Grand-Dad (i.e., Jim Beam Frankfort) is an active distilled spirits production facility, it's just not a distillery. It's a maturation, bottling and distribution facility. Likewise what Timothy called Old Forester is the site of the former Old Forester distillery but that site is still an active bottling and distribution facility for Brown-Forman. Distilling and maturation is at the Brown-Forman Distillery (formerly Early Times) down the road. Likewise no distilling is done at Stitzel-Weller but maturation is. The old Glenmore Distillery in Owensboro is, similarly, a maturation, bottling and distribution facility for Sazerac. KBD in Bardstown same way, not distillers but they mature and bottle. It makes sense for it to be a map of active distilled spirits production facilities, without worrying about who actually distills and who doesn't. Heaven Hill in Bardstown is the best example. They have maturation, bottling, distribution and corporate headquarters there, but no distillation.

I'm skeptical that there is still any whiskey aging at Old Crow.

• 11 months later...

Steffen -

Thank you for posting -- this is great.

jsbac

**EDIT: Sorry for posting on an old thread.. This was the first time I had read it, appears that although the thread has died down, the map is still getting updated periodically.

Steffen -

Thank you for posting -- this is great.

jsbac

**EDIT: Sorry for posting on an old thread.. This was the first time I had read it, appears that although the thread has died down, the map is still getting updated periodically.

I'm glad you bumped this - I hadn't seen it before either. This is a very cool idea, and if time allows, it would be cool to eventually see a map all whisk(e)y distilleries around the world.

You left out the best distillery in Arkansas. Old Ed Ward's Distillery in Newport, AR. They make the best "legal moonshine" in the country (probably the world).

Another pin for the Few Spirits Distillery too in Evanston, IL

These little operations are starting to really pop up all over.....

I only put up distilleries that age their spirit, I decided this to limit myself somehow. I even considered only to put up distilleries that has whiskey as main product put didn't. Some distilleries only did a whiskey as a small side production once so not sure how relevant they will be after a few years

Steffen

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.