BOTM 9/10: Booker's

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had another bourbon in mind for this month's BOTM, but I received a suggestion from p_elloitt recommending Booker's. He noticed that it hasn't been BOTM before, and that there has been some discussion on the boards about it lately, so....... Booker's it is. :grin: Thanks Paul. :bowdown:

I can't add much as far as my own tasting notes go. I have only tasted this bourbon a few times, and the one bottle I own hasn't been opened yet. I did like it okay and was a bit surprised that the higher proof didn't overpower the flavor too much. From what I can remember, there was smoke, wood, tobacco, leather, and maybe a hint of nuttiness. Walnut? :skep:

Anyway, let's here what you all have to say. And remember, let's be kind to Beam this month. :lol: Thanks again Paul. Joe

My last pours of this juice were top notch. It was nothing like the last bottles of Bookers I had had (not hot like fire, bland, and undrinkable).

I plan to pick up this juice again when I am low a bottle.

Still drinking through some 2002 bottles that are very good... will probably grab a few newer ones given the positive comments...

I have notice that Booker's is enjoying quite the good press as of late. That, and the BOTM mention will get me to buy a bottle among my next purchases.

My thoughts on it in the past had it overpriced and very hot. I was under the impression that Beam dumped this as a 6 year old Barrel Proof?

I'm very fond of Booker's it carries it's high proof very well and doesn't kill the flavor of the bourbon. One thing I do see coming is when the KCR single barrel comes out at 120 proof and 9 years old I predict it cuts into the Booker's sales.

I have an unopened bottle of the 10th Anniversary.

Batch No. C90-B-8 126.3 proof.

Anyone have this and could say it's any different than the others?

This is my favorite bourbon in it's price range, intense and complex. Bites back a little bit but wow after every sip. Neat with just a few drops of H2O and I am in heaven. quickreply.gif

To me this is one Bourbon that I've loved immensely and had issues with from bottle to bottle. Perhaps as much inconsistency bottle to bottle as any I've had experience with. When it's great, it's great, a fantastic expression of uncut unfiltered bourbon whiskey. When it's off it tends to be little more than a proof monster only lacking an semblance of depth and complexity. It's been a good 8 months since I've last had it so it may be time to give it a whirl.

This is about the only Beam bourbon I like, and when at its best seems miles ahead of most of their widely available offerings as far as complexity goes. Nice to see it get the attention it deserves this month ;).

I've yet to see this reach our shores, will keep an eye out for it or add it the list for swaps for stinkin scotch!

Edit to say I have just found it for £62

I've had Booker's that I thought was delicious and thoroughly enjoyable and then I've had the liquid fire on other occasions. In my experience these differ greatly from barrel to barrel, thus providing a "true single barrel experience". Win some, Lose some.

I really enjoy this bourbon, but I haven't been purchasing it lately. Thanks for giving me a reason to pick up a bottle.

Booker is neither a single barrel bourbon nor is it unfiltered.

While it is not a single barrel, it is definitely unfiltered.

While it is not a single barrel, it is definitely unfiltered.

mah bayud . . . small batch collection? duh . . . I've been away too long . . . :rolleyes:

It is non chill-filtered but it undoubtedly is filtered through a fine wire mesh to catch pieces of the barrel char. Beam's filter must be a tighter mesh than BT's. There's a lot of fine particulate in the unfiltered Antique Collection, while there's virtually none in most bottles of Booker"s.

Is it true this lovely nectar can be bottled from 120-130 proof? Any clues as to why and if it makes any significant impact bottle to bottle in flavor?

The proof variation is because the final product is "straight from the barrel" meaning that no water is added once the barrels are dumped and mingled. They would either have to develop stunning luck or add water to each batch if they wanted to guarantee the final proof in each batch.

I agree with everyone that Booker's is good, but compare the taste to any of the 4R barrel proofers or the price to Rare Breed and it pales in comparison.

The bottle I have is about 3 years old, and still one of my favs in its price range. As far as the heat goes, I think I have grown accustom to the higher strength bourbons, and built up some tolerance to the fire. Similar to people who can eat really spicy/hot food.... I am a wimp there. Black pepper is as hot as I can tolerate.

Though I haven't had a bottle in several years, I have always enjoyed Bookers. Many restaurants will have it, though the bourbon selection may be limited, so it can be a good choice when I'm out. It is hot however; it's one of the few bourbons I prefer on the rocks to neat.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also a fan, but perhaps because I'm no expert and haven't branched out enough yet! I like to drink it straight, because I love that burn in my throat. I'm on my 3rd bottle now and have gifted two (and had a taste) -- over those only ~5 years since my first taste, I've definitely noticed the differences bottle-to-bottle as well. But I usually like it. I will have to start trying more cask-strength bourbons, though, to see!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.