Whiskey Stones?

Sin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

http://www.vat19.com/dvds/whiskey-stones.cfm

whiskey-stones.jpg

Anybody ever try these things? I don't drink a lot. I sip, mostly. I'll nurse a drink for up to a hour, at times. Since I don't drink it quickly enough, I never use ice. But, I would like to, since I know you get a different flavor out of your bourbon.

I found the Whiskey stones, and they sound like a good idea. I just don't know anything about them. How well do these work? Maybe there's a better alternative? What other options are there?

See this thread

Anybody ever try these things? I don't drink a lot. I sip, mostly. I'll nurse a drink for up to a hour, at times. Since I don't drink it quickly enough, I never use ice. But, I would like to, since I know you get a different flavor out of your bourbon.

We have some, given as a gift. My wife is the whiskey-on-the-rocks drinker, so she tried them, but didn't like them.

I found the Whiskey stones, and they sound like a good idea. I just don't know anything about them. How well do these work? Maybe there's a better alternative? What other options are there?

Keep your bourbon, and bourbon glasses, in the freezer.

Sounds like a kidney disease (grin).

I did a lot of looking around on these last year, and the general consensus seems to be "Don't waste the money."

I tend to agree that if you like your bourbon cold (I don't - I like it at room temperature), then put the bottle and/or glasses in the freezer. Back in my bohemian days, I used to keep a bottle of Glenfiddich in the freezer, and this worked out well.

I keep all of my bourbon in the freezer. I've never chilled the glassware, but I suppose that would be effective as well.

I know some who like cold drinks, but don't want the melting to water them down, freeze grapes and use them as ice cubes. I can't see this for bourbon, but an idea nonetheless.

I think they probably suck as they won't cool the whiskey down enough to make an appreciable difference unless you have a bunch of stones and just a small amount of whiskey.

If you think you might like something like this, just get a handful of rocks, clean them and use them as you would these overpriced novelties.

My mother just got back from Chicago and brought back a set for my father and I. They do chill your bourbon ever so slightly but nothing like pouring it over ice. Then again, for someone like me who always drinks their bourbon neat, they don't water the bourbon down, which is great.

Personally, at 19.99 I probably wouldn't buy them on my own, but I wouldn't be disappointed if someone gave them to me a gift.

Personally, at 19.99 I probably wouldn't buy them on my own, but I wouldn't be disappointed if someone gave them to me a gift.

I am right there with you.

Maybe there's a better alternative? What other options are there?

This alternative is only good during the winter months in a cold climate, but I have found it creates the perfect cooled whiskey (in addition to a great overall environment).

When the weather is below 32 degrees find a hot tub outside (or in my case open the doors to the unheated sun room with a hot tub)and set your whiskey glass down for about 5 minutes near it. Then get in the hot tub and sip your whiskey that should now be somewhere around 60 degrees (Note: as long as you don't get your glass too close to the water it should continue to chill). This method of drinking is even more enjoyable if there is a lady with you in the hot tub.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
Keep your bourbon, and bourbon glasses, in the freezer.

It seems to me the fridge would be much better. Grappa and fruit brandies, for example, usually taste their best at about 12.5°C (~55°F). When I got a bottle of local Black Forest cherry brandy for the first time as a gift and didn't know better, I put it in the freezer. It tasted like vodka (this is bad). Having that same Kirschwasser from the fridge, it was delicious... the ripe cherry flavor really came through. A good bourbon will have more flavor and you won't lose everything in the freezer, but you lose so much flavor drinking it cold... so perhaps at least keep it in the fridge, not the freezer? Or else just put the glasses in the freezer? It just seems such a shame to have such cold whiskey with so much of the flavor frozen out of it...

Depends on the ambient drinking conditions. My wife, who is the cold whiskey drinker in the family (I drink it neat, at room temperature) likes to sit out on the the patio duing the summer. The bourbon warms up pretty quickly.

• 4 months later...

I received a set of these as a gift and was told to keep them in the freezer. They do the job as advertised but the novelty is when a guest asks for whisky on the rocks.

As for keeping whisky in the freezer, well, that's perfectly acceptable. It's your whisky, drink it as you like.

• 2 months later...

I also received these as a gift a couple years ago. For some reason, I really enjoy these with rye whiskey and certain types of scotch. I think the coolness takes a bit of edge off, but not so much as melted ice. Otherwise, I don't notice much difference with bourbons and most whiskey, and they just get in the way.

Chilling a bottle or glass makes sense as well, but I have a tiny freezer. Besides, my my bottles look much better on my shelf. I'd say if you can find these for $10 or less, pick them up on a whim and try it out.

The wife got me a set of these.

If you're looking to chill your whiskey they really don't work at all.

However, I enjoy the weight they add to my glass. I don't know why.

Whiskey Stones? A gimmicky fad and from the same fold as the "Pet Rock".

Sounds like a kidney disease (grin).

I'll pass.

Craig

I sure hope that pun was intentional... and if it wasn't, you need to claim that it was!

The wife got me a set of these.

If you're looking to chill your whiskey they really don't work at all.

However, I enjoy the weight they add to my glass. I don't know why.

It has to chill them some, right? I enjoy my bourbon neat, at room temp or slightly cooler, not cold though. However, my room in the summer gets 80-85*. Hot bourbon is not as enjoyable. I was really considering some stones to keep in this freezer to cool my pours down to proper temp when it's hot as hell in my room. I keep my bourbon in my room since I have a house with roommates.

• 7 months later...

I got a set of these for Christmas, and I am undecided. They came with a wooden tray and two double old-fashion glasses.

They cool a shot of whiskey just a little bit, much less than I thought they would. But about what the instructions claimed. I think it was 59 degrees, "the temperature of a Scottish whiskey pub." (sheesh)

Of course, they don't add water to your whiskey, which is a plus. And swirling a stone around in the glass is a novelty, and sort of cool.

http://www.thenewenglandtradingcompany.com/On_The_Rocks_Granite_Drink_Chillers_With_Tumblers.htm

I got a set for free from Laphroaig but have never used them. Don't see the point to chilling whiskey, it reduces your sensitivity to the flavors

I don't know. You drink red wine slightly cooled, but warm up brandy. What is the best temperature for whiskey, and is it the same for all styles?

One of my buddies just dropped one into a glencairn, and the glass shattered...not surprised, but be careful if you are using thinner lined glasses.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.