Things tour guides say - Jack Daniels

wadewood
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If I ever take the JD tour, I'll ask why the whiskey is so damn weak and why does it taste like bananas?

I thought I was the only one who tasted bananas in JD :shocked:

I just did the JD tour today and the guide was quite knowledgeable (and accurate as far as I can tell). One thing that irked me was the restriction of cameras and cellphones in the production areas. Every other distillery I visited openly invited us to take pictures of whatever we like. My friend and I discussed that this probably helps build the mystique of the brand (such as the origin of the Old No. 7 brand)

The banana flavour, which is an ester of some kind, characterises Jack Daniels to a certain degree. In some bottlings it is strong, in others medium or almost absent. Mike Veach told me it is in the white dog, so it is a distillation taste, not one that derives from maturation as such.

However, in recent years, Jack Daniels has improved in flavor in my estimation. The banana taste is generally not as prominent and the overall palate is more complex.

The best Jack Daniels is the single barrel bottlings in which the banana taste can be almost absent and you get a rich-bodied drink with notes of plum, orange and fudge.

Gary

Gary your posts about the JD single barrel are peaking my interest. I haven't been paying much attention to this brand and perhaps I should.

I like the Single Barrel quite a bit from what I remember but my taste has evolved drastically since then.

They plugged the hell out of the barrel program at JD. I asked if we could get it bottled at barrel strength to which I received a fairly solid "never" haha

• 4 weeks later...
If I ever take the JD tour, I'll ask why the whiskey is so damn weak and why does it taste like bananas?

I third this! I and another whiskey drinker at work find Jack Daniel's very banana-flavored. I don't think I'll ever drink any more after the 1 bottle I had about 2 years ago.

As for tours, my wife and I plan on going to Beam, HH, Buffalo Trace, and a few others in the next few years. I wonder how many tour guides will know what I'm talking about when I announce that I am from Pennsylvania- about 15 minutes from Michter's Distillery. That should confuse some of them.

Not quite a tour guide saying but I'm posting this mostly for you, Ethan. Overheard at the Michter's table at Saturday Night's Kentucky Bourbon Festival Sampler.

Patron: "I thought Michter's was in Pennsylvania."

Pourer: "We were in Pennsylvania until 1989, when we moved to Kentucky."

JD in the last couple of years is much improved IMO especially the (94 proof) Single Barrel. More complex, less earthy, less banana, more other fruits, more complexity.

Gary

Not quite a tour guide saying but I'm posting this mostly for you, Ethan. Overheard at the Michter's table at Saturday Night's Kentucky Bourbon Festival Sampler.

Patron: "I thought Michter's was in Pennsylvania."

Pourer: "We were in Pennsylvania until 1989, when we moved to Kentucky."

And this Chuck, makes my blood boil. I can't see how they legally can claim they have any ties to the original Michter's. It's like HH saying "We made our Rittenhouse in Philly until the 80's and then moved it here." Why does Michter's seem to bend the truth so much about their products? I just don't understand.

• 5 years later...
On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2010 at 3:20 PM, bonneamie said:

I think it's amusing how all the tour guides try to make their particular distillery sound like a small family owned business. They ALL do it!!

We did a tour of the Jack Daniels Distillery, and they told us up front that Jack Daniels had been purchased by a large corporation which has allowed them to become a major player in the whiskey business.

I really enjoyed the tour of the distillery, although I did the free tour, and not the sipping tour.

I am planning a visit to the Buffalo Trace Distillery in the not too distant future, and it will be a sipping tour:)

10 hours ago, whiskey buyer said:

We did a tour of the Jack Daniels Distillery, and they told us up front that Jack Daniels had been purchased by a large corporation which has allowed them to become a major player in the whiskey business.

I really enjoyed the tour of the distillery, although I did the free tour, and not the sipping tour.

I am planning a visit to the Buffalo Trace Distillery in the not too distant future, and it will be a sipping tour:)

Jack Daniels was amusing. There is little indication that they are owned by B-F and I am surprised they even mentioned the "large corporation". When I was there you would have thought that they were wholly independent. Mention of the dirty word "bourbon" is barely tolerated and they apparently don't have rick houses (at least that was the case with my guide). They were "barrel" houses.

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Jack Daniels was amusing. There is little indication that they are owned by B-F and I am surprised they even mentioned the "large corporation". When I was there you would have thought that they were wholly independent. Mention of the dirty word "bourbon" is barely tolerated and they apparently don't have rick houses (at least that was the case with my guide). They were "barrel" houses.

When we did the tour, and went to the room where they do the charcoal filtering, the guide told us that the whiskey coming out of the still is basically bourbon,  before it is filtered through the sugar maple charcoal. I guess it is just which guide you get.

Did you see where Jack Daniels has now come out and said that Jack actually learned how to distill from a slave?

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 10:09 PM, whiskey buyer said:

When we did the tour, and went to the room where they do the charcoal filtering, the guide told us that the whiskey coming out of the still is basically bourbon,  before it is filtered through the sugar maple charcoal. I guess it is just which guide you get.

Did you see where Jack Daniels has now come out and said that Jack actually learned how to distill from a slave?

Yes, the PR department is apparently racking up some overtime lately!

I suppose it is guide dependent although it sounds like your guide also thought the bourbon (which was really not yet bourbon, having not touched new wood. More like Corn Whiskey given the likely high 80% corn content of the mashbill) was magically transformed into the vastly superior "Tennessee Whiskey" once blessed by dripping through those giant charcoal vats!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.