Find It If You Can.

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Made at Tom Moore, the only straight rye they sell, and it's only sold in northern Wisconsin, only in handles. It's not great (young), but not bad.

I wonder if by "premium taste through the years" they mean "but not right now."

post-5-14489816910573_thumb.jpg

Is this recent production. A few years ago, another SB'er and I scoured all the areas of N. Wisconsin we were told it was available via phone and there wasn't any to be found. In 2009, during a tour of Tom Moore, it wasn't even in their display case of currently produced brands!

Thomas

And I've hunted near Madison last year to no avail. I have a friend who lives just north of there and I've hunted when I visit him every 4th of July. I don't think I saw any Fleischmann's rye.

I'll need to look a little more carefully next time.

• 2 weeks later...

City Wine Cellar in Staten Island lists it on-line:

375 for $6.00 (same image as in first post)

1.75 for $18.00 (label slightly different)

Empire Wine in Albany has 1.75 in store for $14.00 (same image)

They call it "Preffered" Rye - is this a different product? I realize

websites may not be accurate image-wise.

City Wine Cellar in Staten Island lists it on-line:

375 for $6.00 (same image as in first post)

1.75 for $18.00 (label slightly different)

Empire Wine in Albany has 1.75 in store for $14.00 (same image)

They call it "Preffered" Rye - is this a different product? I realize

websites may not be accurate image-wise.

"Preferred" is the blended whiskey and is more widely distributed. It is my understanding that the Flieschmann's Rye is only available in handles.

"Preferred" is the blended whiskey and is more widely distributed. It is my understanding that the Flieschmann's Rye is only available in handles.

I've only seen liters.

Of Flieschmanns's Rye? Where?

Handed to me by a friend who happened to go to WI and pick it up for me.

Handed to me by a friend who happened to go to WI and pick it up for me.

Are the liters plastic too?

Are the liters plastic too?

Glass. Embossed diamonds on the shoulder, similar to some Kentucky Tavern bottles I have.

My Dad goes out to the OshKosh airshow every august and a few years back I had him grab me a couple 1.75's at a store in that town. $15 a piece. At the time I talked to the WI distributor and was told it only came in plastic 1.75's. It is very distinctive and not bad. I like it. Like Mellow Corn, a must for your whiskey education. Reminds me strongly of bazooka bubble gum. I brought a bottle down to the gazebo the last time I was there, probably a year or 2 back. Still have some in the bunker :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've looked around (northern, central, western) WI and haven't found any. I'm really curious, even moreso the more I look and of course read posts here, to try the stuff.

Mike

When I worked in WI I drank it regularly. It had a juicy fruit gum taste to me. I only ever saw it in handles. Another rye I have only sen up there was stephen foster. It was really a good young rye. Same price range. I think heaven hill makes it. Lot of rye fans there I guess. It is also the only place I have seen 1.75 of jb rye. The store I shopped at really went through it also. It is a big cheap brandy and rum state too.

• 2 weeks later...

Wisconsin is a cheap state period. Buy this wonderful Rye now before it, sadly, all starts going into Baby Saz due to the new ownership of Tom Moore.

• 3 weeks later...
The person who contributed it to the BTOY door prizes is a SB member from Madison. Perhaps he'll reveal where he finds it.

I will be driving through Madison over the holidays and would love to find some of this. If anyone knows of a spot where there's some on the shelves, please shoot me a PM.

Made at Tom Moore, the only straight rye they sell, and it's only sold in northern Wisconsin, only in handles. It's not great (young), but not bad.

I wonder if by "premium taste through the years" they mean "but not right now."

Sounds like a prime candidate for a rebarreling experiment at the prices mentioned. I'm planning on doing some of that when I get home.

Sounds like a prime candidate for a rebarreling experiment at the prices mentioned. I'm planning on doing some of that when I get home.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.