Well Crafted Manhattan Contest

TomFischer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If you love making Manhattans and creating new recipes...Woodford Reserve and Esquire have teamed up to challenge bartenders and "at-home mixologists" to create the Well Crafted Manhattan.

I invite you to take a look at that link for details, there are some great prizes like a trip to NYC, and whether you enter or not, I'd love to see your favorite Manhattan recipes posted here!

Cheers!

Tom

If you love making Manhattans and creating new recipes...Woodford Reserve and Esquire have teamed up to challenge bartenders and "at-home mixologists" to create the Well Crafted Manhattan.

I invite you to take a look at that link for details, there are some great prizes like a trip to NYC, and whether you enter or not, I'd love to see your favorite Manhattan recipes posted here!

Cheers!

Tom

If I make the perfect Manhattan recipe...

as god as my witness I will never let anyone know it... :grin::lol::lol::slappin:

Cheers!

the creation that won last year was the Cider Manhattan with a cider reduction

And Ethan, I enjoyed watching your White Manhattan Cocktail Video, good stuff. You should do a Woodford one and submit!

mmm... cider reduction...

Gotta say I've been tempted... half the fun of making one... is practice... ;)

Thanks for the comments by the way and the kind words, perhaps I'll give the contest a shot.

Cheers.

Well Crafted.

I'd like to think that all of mine are. Now if someone else would think so that's okay but...

Not with Woodford Resereve.

Can I be the curmudgeon and ask if the Manhattan is on the trail to be bastardized like the martini?

Can I be the curmudgeon and ask if the Manhattan is on the trail to be bastardized like the martini?

No need to. It has already happened.

when I guess people start adding vodka then we'll be set... :cool:

• 1 month later...

I've finally had an idea and now had a chance to try it in motion...

I am working on a concoction now, it's coming along... I am actually quite pleased with it, but I am going to try it out on some guinea pigs... first.

Making it takes some practice.

If I am happy with it.. I''ll probably make a video of it also along with the submission.

Crossing my fingers.

• 9 months later...

Here's my favorite new Manhattan recipe.

2 oz Ritt 100

1/4 oz sweet vermouth

2 tbsp Midnight Moon

6 dashes Fees Orange Bitter

5 ice cubes

The Midnight Moon is Piedmont Distillers cherry infused raw make. It adds a nice spicyness.

I make mine from a mixture of bourbons, straight ryes and brandies. I will also mix two or three red vermouths. This is traditional since brandy was sometimes used along with the whiskey to make the drink. Using more than one type of whiskey, brandy or vermouth just increases complexity; it doesn't change the basics. I like Angostura as the bitters but will sometimes add one or two other kinds. I go by the final taste, there is no fixed formula but this is the template. I've got one now that is very good IMO - I may bring it to Gazebo upcoming.

Gary

P.S. Adding vodka sounds unorthodox, but it isn't really since you can use blended whiskey in a Manhattan and there is plenty of that in it.

That's interesting, I'd never heard of using more than one whiskey or vermouth in a Manhattan... I'll have to experiment for myself and find some good new combinations... thanks for the suggestion!

How I view it is, if you used Seagram 7 Crown to make one, that itself is a combination of numerous whiskeys (or say VWFRR, two whiskeys combined) so you can do similar on your own but end up with a particular palate by using all-bourbons or a combination of bourbons and ryes. I'd start this way first. The adding of brandy is a flourish but then too vermouth itself contains grape brandy, so it all makes sense.

Gary

I've judged a couple of manhattan competitions and the contestants invariably cover up the whiskey with fruit and sweetness. I'm increasingly of the opinion that you should start with a good whiskey, look for a vermouth or vermouth alternative that compliments it, and use that ingredient sparingly so the whiskey is the star. Also, don't omit the bitters unless you are using a very bitter vermouth or vermouth alternative.

That's still mostly a theory. I haven't perfected it in practice.

The whiskey has to dominate, for sure. I find using different types, sometimes in different combinations, can permit different proportions to be used. Straight rye is useful in Manhattans because of its strong taste. BItters is essential and I use more now than I used to. There should be a winey note to the drink and some sweetness but I also make it less sweet than in the past. Always a question of personal taste though..

Gary

I make mine with crushed ice, a manhattan snow cone. I add angostora bitters (sometines apple bitters if I feel special), sweet vermouth, my homemade maichino cherries and a Tb of the maichino, I use a higher proof bourbon poured over, Knob or OGD BIB, and stir, never shake.

• 2 months later...

I would never claim to be a mixologist, but for whatever reason I find Blanton's to make my best Manhattans. The citrus notes blend well with the vermouth, and I can mix the two at a 4:1 ratio to make sure that the vermouth compliments the bourbon instead of overpowering it. About 4 dashes (I'm not sure my "dash" is ever a consistant quantitiy anyway.), some ice, and I'm set.

• 1 month later...

Woodford Reserve just tweeted the recipe for the winning Manhattan in a Louisville contest:

2oz WR, 1oz. apple brandy, 1oz. sweet vermouth, 2 splashes bitters. Garnish w/ red apple slice

I think I'll try this tonight less the apple slice.

That's interesting; on a recent trip to NY I had an old fashioned that included apple brandy, and it was absolutely amazing. Might have to try this Manhattan. Don't have any Woodford right now, but I'm sure I can find something on the bar to substitute.;)

I like the twist of spice that Creme de Cassis adds.

I've substituted a 1/2 oz of it and reduced the sweet vermouth equally.

Lastly, I love the show that burning orange peel oil adds to the prep and flavor.

(Squeeze a piece of orange peel through a flame and let the burnt oil land on the surface of the cocktail)

Kind of like merging a black dahlia with a manhattan.

I substituted Blanton's for the WR because it was handy, and used some home-aged Apple Brandy. I have to say it was a fantastic drink, but I felt guilty calling it a Manhattan. The whiskey was a little too covered to really call it a Manhattan.

• 2 weeks later...

I consider the Manhattan "the king of all cocktails," and try to make a perfectly crafted drink every time they are called for.

Our standard recipe is based in Jackson's bar and cocktail companion, which uses the ratio of 2.5 oz rye to 1 oz sweet vermouth, and angostura bitters, garnished with an maraschino cherry. We modify it by using 2 dashes of blood orange bitters instead of angostura, and for garnish a moonshine-soaked cherry with just a drop or three of the cherried 'shine for good measure. I have yet to also add an orange twist, but plan to try that out soon.

For whiskey, we use either Bulleit rye, or a homemade infusion of Jim Beam rye with apples, cinnamon, and clove. The fruit and spices of the infusion add a bit to the flavor, but don't cover up the whiskey so it still makes a great Manhattan, one that I feel can still bear the name without shame.

• 2 weeks later...

Heard someone order the winning WR Manhattan recipe at the bar today.

The addition of apple brandy to whiskey is an interesting combination. I enjoy it in the Diamondback cocktail, which is RittBiB, Laird's BiB and green Chartreuse

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.