Well Crafted Manhattan Contest

TomFischer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hidden

Read Julian Van Winkle's Manhattan recipe in foodie journal Lucky Peach today. If memory serves, it calls for four ounces of Pappy 15, a sugar cube, Angostura bitters, a small slice of orange and ice. (Definitely no vermouth.)

If anyone wants the exact recipe, lemme know and I will hunt it down and post.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been experimenting with the apple brandy. For my tastes, it works best in straight bourbon Manhattans. I prefer rye-based Manhattans, the apple flavors tend to muddle and mask the spiciness I really enjoy.

I have been experimenting with the apple brandy. For my tastes, it works best in straight bourbon Manhattans. I prefer rye-based Manhattans, the apple flavors tend to muddle and mask the spiciness I really enjoy.

Try this one:

Diamondback

1.5oz Rittenhouse BiB

.75oz Laird's BiB

.75oz Green Chartreuse

Combine everything in a cocktail glass, add ice and stir well. Strain, garnish as you please, enjoy!

I've messed around with many Diamondback variants since the drink was first made for me a couple years ago, and I have to say the one in the PDT Cocktail Book, while unorthodox, might be my favorite:

2 oz. Rittenhouse BIB

.5 oz. Laird's BIB

.5 oz. Yellow Chartreuse

• 2 weeks later...

2 oz Rittenhouse 100

3/4 oz Noilly Prat rouge vermouth

1 splash Fee Brothers Orange Bitters

5 or 6 Large ice cubes

Shake violently for about a minute. You have to really get the air in there. You need large ice cubes so they don't break up and water it down too much.

Strain over 2 large clear ice cubes and garnish with an orange slice. Even better, a blood orange slice.

• 1 month later...
2 oz Rittenhouse 100

3/4 oz Noilly Prat rouge vermouth

1 splash Fee Brothers Orange Bitters

5 or 6 Large ice cubes

Shake violently for about a minute. You have to really get the air in there. You need large ice cubes so they don't break up and water it down too much.

Strain over 2 large clear ice cubes and garnish with an orange slice. Even better, a blood orange slice.

I'll do it, but it's against my religion to "shake" a manhattan. And it is further a sin to shake "violently".

Try this one:

Diamondback

1.5oz Rittenhouse BiB

.75oz Laird's BiB

.75oz Green Chartreuse

Combine everything in a cocktail glass, add ice and stir well. Strain, garnish as you please, enjoy!

I've messed around with many Diamondback variants since the drink was first made for me a couple years ago, and I have to say the one in the PDT Cocktail Book, while unorthodox, might be my favorite:

2 oz. Rittenhouse BIB

.5 oz. Laird's BIB

.5 oz. Yellow Chartreuse

I ended up making the top recipe on Friday and, for me the, .75 of Chartreuse defintely overpowered the Rit.

I made another go of it on Saturday and think I dialed it in pretty good for my tastes.

I settled on the following

2.5oz Ritt

1oz Lairds

.5oz Green Chartruese

This was pretty balanced and allowed the Ritt to remain at the forefront where it was rounded out by the Lairds and Chartreuese.

I had never had a Diamondback but, must say I definitely enjoyed this one very much. I will definitely be making a few more of these.

• 4 weeks later...

My recipe is as follows:

3oz Wild Turkey 101 rye or Rittenhouse BiB

.5oz Dolin Rouge

.5oz Dolin Dry

2-3 dashes Angostura or Miracle Mile Sour Cherry bitters

stir until bored

garnish with wide strip of orange or lemon peel, squeezed 3 times

I don't like to light the orange oils with a match because I feel like there's always a burned taste left in the drink.

My recipe is as follows:

3oz Wild Turkey 101 rye or Rittenhouse BiB

.5oz Dolin Rouge

.5oz Dolin Dry

2-3 dashes Angostura or Miracle Mile Sour Cherry bitters

stir until bored

garnish with wide strip of orange or lemon peel, squeezed 3 times

I don't like to light the orange oils with a match because I feel like there's always a burned taste left in the drink.

Great recipe -- looking forward to trying it. Is this basically a 'perfect'? What does the Dolin Dry add?

Great recipe -- looking forward to trying it. Is this basically a 'perfect'? What does the Dolin Dry add?

A "perfect manhattan" includes equal parts sweet and dry vermouth. You can actually make any cocktail that requires sweet vermouth "perfect" by using equal parts sweet and dry vermouth; it's not specific to manhattans.

Try this one:

Diamondback

1.5oz Rittenhouse BiB

.75oz Laird's BiB

.75oz Green Chartreuse

Thank you! I made two of these last night - great cocktails. I modified the recipe to suit my tastes; I love green chartreuse but in very small quantities.

2oz Rittenhouse BiB

1oz Laird's BiB

.5oz Green Chartreuse

The next time I make one I'm going to start with an absinthe rinse and see how that goes...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.