How is Bourbon shipped ?

WEG3
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My friend and I are working hard to secure a steady supply of ORVW 10yr 107 ,,,, to this end we have have our local bottle shops order a case ,(first time they have ever heard there is other Bourbons out there ) .. This is after we have given them the distibutors name ,,,

Well after any where from 2-4 weeks of waiting the case arrives at the bottle shop one of the first thing we note is the case is from another bottler and has a ORVW label over the other bottler , is this common ? or is this something that happens at the distributor ?

We also noted that the bottles in the case came from different lots , K12xxx and L20xxx. ,,, more slight of hand at the distributors ?

Please forgive me if this sounds a bit petty , deep down we , my friend and I are just d*m greatful to get some of this fine drink here ...And continue to build steady supply line to that end ...

Bill G.

I would bet that the repackaging and Lot# mix up happens at the distributor. I wouldn't know for sure though, since the great state of Kentucky protects us from the evil distributors shipping liquor directly to us frown.gif

Was the producer that had a sticker over it's name Buffalo Trace? Mr VanWinkle has started an association with that distillery so that would explain that.If someone elses box , (?) Some of his bottles carry a number, and since it seems that the ones you got are not in sequence , I would think they may have taken a few bottles back from different stores to come up with the case you have, Nothing to worry about. If the box wasn't a BT box ( Or Ancient Age , something from their line) I would think the wholesaler put that case together to fill that order. You have more to be happy about rather than less. I don't think it will come to us looking for particular batch numbers or serial numbers.Talk about pulling your hair out.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

since the great state of Kentucky protects us from the evil distributors shipping liquor directly to us

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

since the great state of Kentucky protects us from the evil distributors shipping liquor directly to us

The great state of WV and its restrictions are a boon to GTS hunters. The state buys and warehouses the spirits. Retailers buy it from the state, apparently. So, if you call a retailer, you just tell them to order you some GTS from the state warehouse. And the prices are as low as $37/bottle retail.

If there had been a normal distributor network, I wonder if WV would have even had that much GTS. So, for once, restrictions turned out to be good.

In my case, I called from my house in NC to a retailer in WV. I ordered GTS and paid for it over the phone. When it came in, I had my brother pick it up.

Tom, are you close enough to Wheeling to give this a shot?

It's funny how the politicians say they want to raise taxes to "prevent" smoking (or enter your sin of choice here). If that were to truely work, then shortly you would have another budget deficit due to the lack of tax revenue from cigarettes brought on by fewer people smoking. What they really want is to play both sides of the issue and make you think that they care about the welfare of your children, which BTW you surely couldn't raise on your own without their help. confused.giffrown.gifmad.gif

You got that right, Jeff. When their tax increases actually do start to result in decreased sales, hence decreased tax revenue, you never have heard so much bitching and moaning. Their usual knee jerk reaction is to try to increase the taxes, further. smirk.gif

Tim

Actually its not as far as I thought. (174 miles, most of it on Rte. 70 Eastbound).

Hmmmmmm I might have to think about that.

Tom (knows how to use MapQuest) C

Its bad enough that the state is getting all the liquor profits as it is. Taft (Guvnuh here), if pushing for a similar "sin tax" here and in his speech he said it was to help alleviate the states college students (being 23 and halfway through college, that might actually balance off for me). Problem is, within the same month he favors a bill that passes in the state legislature that takes the cap off of tuition hikes in state educational institutions (used to only be able to raise 6% a year, now they can do whatever the feel). So basically I'm screwed. mad.gifmad.gif .

Top that all off witht the #'s that say liquor and tobacco sales in Ohio hit all time highs in Ohio last year, so it surely isnt working as a deterrent. Sheesh.

LOL just a little editorial.

Tom (on his soapbox) C

post-89-1448981113718_thumb.jpg

>When their tax increases actually do start to result in decreased sales, hence

>decreased tax revenue, you never have heard so much bitching and moaning.

There is no way that would even happen here in Illinois. If you look at the state

legislators' campaign funds, the biggest donors are the alcohol wholesalers.

Decreased sales would not only piss off the biggest donors, but probably

decrease their campaign contributions as well.

I consider wholesalers fees to be another form of alcohol taxation, but the money

goes to campaign funds, not the general budget.

In America, all votes are counted equally. The counting is done by

accountants. One dollar = one vote. Hence the three tier alcohol

distribution scheme.

Tim

Bill G:

Glad you finally found our whiskey. Our distributor in Mass. is Atlantic Distributing, and they do not always do a great job of keeping Old Rip in stock.

Our shipping boxes should always be the same. We do cover up a DSP # on the shipper with a lable since we use another company's stock bottle. When we started with Buffalo Trace last July, they put their own sticker on the case. So that may look different from a case we bottled in Larenceburg months ago.

The #'s on the bottles will vary of course. We switched to an "L" after we used up the "K" #'s. There is no real rhyme or reason to these numbers.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for you business. Let me know if you run into any more supply problems.

Julian Van Winkle,III

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.