Bourbon and Pie

bonneamie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night I made a big pot of soup (carrots, sweet potato, and peanut butter soup. delicious) but even better was the pie Josh made for dessert. I think it was the "First-Saturday-in May" pie from the Evan Williams Cooking With Bourbon book. It was fabulous. I may have to make it for Thanksgiving.

Nope! That wasn't it, although not too far off. It was Chocolate Walnut Pie from The Bourbon Cookbook by Tom Hoge (Harrisburg: Stackpole, 1975). Got it on Ebay. :grin:

Reprinted w/o permission. If Mr. Hoge finds this and objects, I'll apologize and take it down. From page 181.

Chocolate Walnut Pie

1 9 in. unbaked pastry shell or pie crust

2 eggs

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup melted butter

3 tbs. bourbon (I used VOB)

1 teaspoon almond extract (I subbed black walnut flavoring)

1/4 cup cornstarch

1 cup chopped walnuts

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

In a small mixer bowl, beat eggs slightly and gradually add sugar. Add melted butter, bourbon, and extract and mix well. Blend in cornstarch. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips; pour into unbaked pastry shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 min. Cool one hour and serve with a dollop of whipped cream.

I'll bet that pie went good with a wheated bourbon.

Shockingly we did not have any bourbon that night with the pie (!), but I just cut myself a slice and poured a few oz. of ORVW 10/107. It is sublime. Right on as always Big Dog!

I have been thinking of this one a couple of days now. I am not at all sure about the masseurs, but it seems a bit on the sweet side and not that concentrated. I normally like wheat recipe bourbon with nut desserts/cakes, but rye based bourbons or ryes with plain dark chocolate. However if it tastes like I think it does I would think a dark strong porter/stout would be the best for my personal taste.

Leif

I have been thinking of this one a couple of days now. I am not at all sure about the masseurs...

Leif

What? A masseur is a man who gives a massage.

Measures....:grin:

gotcha. I googled masseurs and I shudder to think what kind of spam I would be getting if I had clicked on one of those links.

Sorry Leif!:lol:

I googled masseurs and I shudder to think what kind of spam I would be getting if I had clicked on one of those links.

English is an easy language to speak, but hard to spell.

Don't feel bad. Most of us can't even get it right. I attribute my good spelling to my mother, who is deaf. I grew up watching the closed caption on the TV my entire life. Everything that was spoken, I also read across the bottom. I think it's a great way to teach your kids how to spell.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.