2010 Thomas Handy BTAC...reviews

autiger23
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What's the verdict so far this year?

Just got a call in from my liquor dealer, got some bottles in for $54, so told him to hold 2.

With the caveat that it was tasted during the 3rd hour of NY Whiskyfest, my initial impression was that it was very similar to the 2009 which I really liked. Based upon that tasting I went ahead and picked up 2 bottles.

I tried some of the 2010 this week.I thought it was a very good young rye.I loved the spicy and honey qualities on the mid-palate.Still learning about Rye whiskey.

Regards,Mike

I have not had any of the Handy line over the years so for that price I could not pass up. Almost $30 less than what is being sold just north in TN.

He did tell me he had some 2010 GTS but he warned it went up a lot in price since last year's. He had it as $73 which I paid $87 earlier for my first bottle in TN. I told him to hold one of those but his inventory lady had no notify him because they had marked it from last years prices initially from $54 to $73. Just shows you how much more expensive its getting but the rest except for the Weller had no change in prices for him.

Anyone else try it yet and willing to give feedback? Better than 09, rate it where in the 2010. I have the Stagg 10 and the WLW 10 and both are amazing, just worried about the 6yr level.

Going to pick up both reserved bottles next weekend so wanted to make sure so I will only pick up one and get another bottle of the 10 Stagg.

I am still learning about rye whiskey.I tried the 2010 Handy last week.I thought it was a very good young rye.It had a lot of honey,clove and spice on the mid-palate.But if it were me I would pick up a 2010 WLW.I just fell in love with the Weller.It seemed bigger rich and more complex.But it hard to compare a Bourbon vs a Rye.They are different animals.Good luck with your decision.You will be a winner either way.Its hard to go wrong with any of the Antique collection.

Regards,Mike

I am still learning about rye whiskey.I tried the 2010 Handy last week.I thought it was a very good young rye.It had a lot of honey,clove and spice on the mid-palate.But if it were me I would pick up a 2010 WLW.I just fell in love with the Weller.It seemed bigger rich and more complex.But it hard to compare a Bourbon vs a Rye.They are different animals.Good luck with your decision.You will be a winner either way.Its hard to go wrong with any of the Antique collection.

Regards,Mike

I pick up my '10's tomorrow, but I'm reading your post as I sip on an '09. I'm assuming they must be similar, as I'm totally getting the honey, clove and spice you're describing. Nice call, Mike.

I love all things Handy.

:toast:

I apologize but was that necessary? No one reads the other forums like this one and since its part of the BTAC i thought it would be fine. Now no one will see it.

Except the rye fans, of which I am one.

I like the 2010 Handy, but so far I've only had it at barrel proof. I guess I need to try it with water next. So far, the only barrel proof whisk[e]ys I've liked dead straight are the George T. Stagg and the Aberlour a'bunadh.

I loved the '09, but I've yet to open any of the '10. I think I only ended up with 2 bottles, so I'm going to hang onto them for a while.

I apologize but was that necessary? No one reads the other forums like this one and since its part of the BTAC i thought it would be fine. Now no one will see it.

For what it's worth, I always read the Rye forum, as I'm always hungry for Rye discourse. Also, I've not had the 2010, but I hope to soon. I had some 2008 last night: still love it.

So why is that Sazerac Rye thread still sitting in "Other American Whiskey?" That should be moved, as well, IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...

So most of you guys seem to think that Handy 2010 is similar to 2009? I still have not had 2010.

I'm doing a side by side of 2008 vs. 2009, and my impression is exactly what I've read on this board. 2009 is the most Bourbon-like of any Handy release. As I keep going back and forth, there's no question that 2008 handy is superior to 2009, IF YOU WANT A RYE. If I tasted 2009 blind, I would declare it a great Rye-heavy Bourbon. Based on nose and palate, I'd never guess that it's a st8 Rye.

If 2010 is like 2009, I'm gonna snap up that last bottle of 2008 Handy I've been eying on a shelf for $52.99, and skip the 2010.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Anyone have 2008/2009/2010 all open?

• 2 weeks later...
So most of you guys seem to think that Handy 2010 is similar to 2009? I still have not had 2010.

I'm doing a side by side of 2008 vs. 2009, and my impression is exactly what I've read on this board. 2009 is the most Bourbon-like of any Handy release. As I keep going back and forth, there's no question that 2008 handy is superior to 2009, IF YOU WANT A RYE. If I tasted 2009 blind, I would declare it a great Rye-heavy Bourbon. Based on nose and palate, I'd never guess that it's a st8 Rye.

If 2010 is like 2009, I'm gonna snap up that last bottle of 2008 Handy I've been eying on a shelf for $52.99, and skip the 2010.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Anyone have 2008/2009/2010 all open?

I'm kinda new to rye, but have had the '08, '09 and '10 Handys. The '09 and 10 are quite similar. The 10 seems maybe just a little more spirity than the '09 and the '08 is a somewhat different beast altogether, deeper spice. I love 'em all. But there's no way a Handy could be confused with a high rye bourbon. No way.

Cheers!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.