2 different Rock Hill Farms?

Paradox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about there being 2 different proofs of Rock Hill Farms. I recently purchased a bottle, among too many others wink.gif , of Rock Hill Farms from the Sam's warehouse sale and was shocked when it arrived. Well shocked for one that they sent me a bottle missing the whole plastic golden plaque from the front but mainly because up until know the bottles I have had all said bottled in bond around the neck and were 100 proof. The bottle I got from Sams is only 80 proof and it doesn't have the bottled in bond written on the tag. Now I know that to be Bottled in Bond it must be 100 proof but I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there were/are still these 2 versions made or did they just send me a really old bottle since it was from the 'sale'. I've included pics of the back labels from both a 100 and an 80 proof bottle. I guess I got what I paid for this time. laugh.gif NOTE: Neither of these are the new style bottle that Rock Hill uses w/o the gold plaque. There has to be some people in the know on this who are out there...

--> Mark R.

post-87-1448981113812_thumb.jpg

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Yes Mark there are, or have been two different expressions of Rock Hill Farms. My first bottle was the 80 proofer with the cheap plastic plaque. The newer bottles don't have that, as you can see. I do wonder whether or not the 80 proof version is still being bottled and if it is an export only item. We'll have to ask Ken Weber about it. My latest bottle of the 100 proof Bottled in Bond expression of Rock Hill Farms is supurb in every way, and is one of my favorite bourbons. I only wish that I could afford to drink it more often.

Linn

Thanks for replying Linn. Actually I know they have newer looking bottles out without the plaque but both of these bottles are of the old type that had the plaque. Only thing was that on the 80 proof they shipped it with it broken off. All that was left on the front was the sticky square where the plaque should have been. I would have rathered gotten the 100 proof and not paid the sale price but maybe it will be something different to try since I have had the 100 already... (but still, 80 proof mad.gif It may be like having to force down another bottle of Basil Haydens)

--> Mark R.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Relax Markus my friend! No way Rock Hill Farms will ever taste as bland as Basil Hayden's (even at 80 proof). To quote Mike Veach on Basil Hayden's "It's brown vodka man!". I agree. Why pay $35 for "brown vodka' when you can get clear 80 proof Bowman's vodka for $6.95? This is a good reason not to drink vodka of any kind - no matter what the price. It's important to drink pure all American whiskey. Be it straight bourbon whiskey; or straight rye whiskey of even straight Tennessee whiskey. It's all straight (that means no blends to you Canadians & Scots) and all American (that means it contains corn!) 100 % barley whiskey = 100% CRAP! Now take that to the bank and cash it! tongue.gifgrin.gif

Hmm... i have a high proof version with the necktag... i wonder if the tag around the neck of the bottle is independent of the proof?

Linn, i agree with what you are saying there... Part of the lure of Bourbon for me is that it is an american spirit, even if some distilleries are owned by large multinational corporations, the labor and ingredients are all american... It is nice to have something that is less expensive when it is made in the USA (ever price single malt scotch?) and not have to sacrifice any quality quality to get the US made veraion (in fact, in my opinion-and probably most everyone else here- there is no comparison between bourbon and other spirits)...

-Chris

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Well you know me Chris! It seems all you have to do these days to be labeled a 'right wing extremist' is to be a patriotic American and qoute a few founding fathers. (Not that Mike Veach is a Founding Father. As far as I know he's not a father at all.) I like traditional All American things: Baseball, Football, Bourbon, Tobacco, Jeeps, & Harley-Davidsons. Smith & Wesson revolvers, Colt's Automatic Pistols, Remington and Winchester Rifles and Shotguns, Corvettes and Thunderbirds, and the freedom to enjoy all these things. Hell I even love John Deere tractors! I love having 40,000 acres of the George Washinton National Forest just seven miles away where I can hunt, fish, hike and camp in a pristine and primative wilderness. There is no better nation than the United States of America and there is no better whiskey than Bourbon. "No brag. Just fact." - John Wayne

If you read Linn's post again and listen very carefully, you will hear America the Beautiful softly in the background grin.gif I'm with you brother and I think most people are. You just don't see it in most of the popular media today. frown.gif

In a very old thread, I believe Jim Butler said he'd found the 80 pr version in California. I believe what you got isn't widely distributed (perhaps it's intended mostly for the Canadian market -- like Blanton's 80 pr).

I like RHF 100 quite a bit. Comparing it with the equally priced Hancock's Single Barrel, the Rock rocks!

Omar

Ahh, Thanks Omar! That thread was formed quite some time ago, I didn't even consider searching. I should be thanking those contributors for alerting me of that thread when they saw my question... wink.gif

I did indeed Omar, though the bottles were old ... that is, I believe they'd been sitting on the store shelf for years. The last bottle I found was several years ago, and I havent seen it since. A bit on the weak side, but quite tasty.

The cheesy chain and medallion on the old bottle detailing have nothing to do with the proof of RHF. On Friday, at Sam's in Chicago, I picked up a new bottle of 100 that has the new bottle detailing without the chain and medallion. In addition, the new neck band is white with a RHF logo instead of the brown Bottled in Bond band as before.

I have an intact RHF with the Cheesy Chain affair, and the happy occasion, to me anyway when Paradox and Kgiammarco presented me with a bottle of the new version at last years cookout. grin.gifcool.gif Damn , I'm getting that warm and fuzzy feeling again!

It's a happy day indeed that one has another RHF on hand (cheesy chain or not). It's truly one of the finest of the distillers' art!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.