SW All Gone

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I get inquiries all the time about bottles people have found and want me to appraise for them.

I got this one today:

"It's a bottle of Very Very Old Fitzgerald. Unopened with tax seal on and a red corduroy gift bag. Barreled 1951, bottled 1966 by Stitzel-Weller/ Pappy himself and noted on the bottle as 'Mr. Van's Very Own.' The bourbon is clear/ uncloudy and liquid falls about 2 inches below the foil at the bottle's bend."

She seems legit. If you email me at cowdery@ix.netcom.com I will forward your email to her. Hands off beyond that. Not vouching for anything.

I don't mind that we fetishize SW. It's what we do. At the same time, the current release of VWFR12 Lot B is not SW and it is both fabulous and has the qualities I love about the best SW. Yes SW whiskey is wonderful but there are whiskeys being produced today that are just as wonderful.

Will I be burned for heresy?

Burnin is too good.....let's hang him first then burn him.

I agree about the current Lot B.....good stuff.

Randy

...Will I be burned for heresy?

Well, with great reluctance:grin:, I'll vouch for Chuck, even though I'm altogether certain he shouldn't, and wouldn't, vouch for me -- he has confirmed, authoritatively, my impression of many a drink that I both liked immensely, or disliked immensely.

Which is, of course, not to say he isn't a heretic:skep:. But, he knows his bourbon!:toast: I'm otherwise unqualified to arbitrate...:pope:

Better change your avatar, then, or you'll be next. Guilt by association, you know.

Your right, I did not think my cunning plan all the way through.

"Will I be burned for heresy?"

Burn Him!

My heretic comment toward Rob was tongue in cheek as he and I have had numerous conversations about the S-W frenzy that often takes over SB.

I have my share of S-W put away for future consumption, but I'm not going to overpay or allow someone to overcharge me for what is out there now.

There are too many other incredible options out there.

I was going to buy a bunch of IPO's of GM, but I think I'll buy all the S-W and sell on eBay in a few years.

Wait, wait, wait before you cast that stone, I came out and said it, unlike, um, unlike,...um I'll stop.

Once Julian runs out of SW juice for his annual distributions, I suspect prices will really take off... ala AHH 16.
Why would that be John? Hirsch had nothing to put back into the bottle but Julian has BT and Bernheim. Also, why would one pay more for inferior whiskey.

Joe :usflag:

What I was trying to say was that as the supply of SW dwindles down, "collectors", "E-Bayers", and opportunistic retailers will drive up the price exponentially.

I agree that the stuff Julian bottles will continue to be excellent... like Chuck I love the BT Lot B.

What I was trying to say was that as the supply of SW dwindles down, "collectors", "E-Bayers", and opportunistic retailers will drive up the price exponentially.

will?! You must mean, "will continue to"

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but what led to the shut down of S-W? What brands were made there, where did those brands end up, who owned the distillery, who owns the site now? Is the site still active and is there any chance of a reactivation? The reason I'm so curious is because my beloved Michter's seems to have died a similar death.

Stitzel Weller is owned by diageo I think. Future production is not likely due to environmental issues. So enjoy it while you can.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm old enough to remember when SW whiskys were available on the shelf then they were gone. Would I have bought a few cases had I known? Sure but they would've been long ago consumed by now. There are plenty of good choices on the shelves today to keep me occupied.

I just bought 2 Pappy Van Winkle 20yo bottles from a local PA "State Store" for $90 each. Doing the math, I'm assuming this is all S-W bourbon. I keep going back and forth about drinking them.

I just bought 2 Pappy Van Winkle 20yo bottles from a local PA "State Store" for $90 each. Doing the math, I'm assuming this is all S-W bourbon. I keep going back and forth about drinking them.

Most sources feel the 20 and 23 are S-W, while the 15yr has BT juice. Either way, drink up!

I think I may drink 1 and save the other for later. I looked around on EBay and people are trying to sell the PVW20's for over a hundred bucks. I couldn't believe it. My concern is that with this probably being the end of the S-W bourbon, these bottles could be a good investment if I keep them for a few years.

Presuming the whisky is genuine. Anybody with a syringe can drain a bottle, replace the contents, and sell it as is with no guarantees.

Anyone? I think not. I will still take calculated risks and purchase from regular sellers of probate whiskey and others who give me no reason to believe would stoop to the legerdemain you find so concerning.

Presuming the whisky is genuine. Anybody with a syringe can drain a bottle, replace the contents, and sell it as is with no guarantees.

Cliff, you are fortunate to have established contacts that you find reliable but that is not who I was talking about. Perhaps you could share that information to Ethan by pm as he has posted he wants a bottle of the 16yr old for his collection.

For decades my professional duties have included counseling clients about avoiding a variety of pitfalls and my protective instincts have become second nature.

I don't suggest this is a wide spread problem, only a few of our Forum members have posted about being victims of such legerdemain, but since it has happened means it can and I'm not inclined to repose trust in strangers whose sole motivation is to make a buck.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.