whisky glass with "hat"

crs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The 'hat' isn't a separate item. It's part of a whiskey tasting glass whose design is credited to Michael Jackson. I forget who makes it.

It's not unusual at tastings for the whiskey to be tasted to be poured in advance, maybe as much as several hours in advance. To limit oxidation and evaporation, the classes are covered. Sometimes the cover is a glass disk, other times the disk is cardboard. The glass disks are obviously the fancy way to do it and inspired this design, although it seems a bit superfluous for home use. What are you going to do? Pour it at the bar then cover it as you carry it to your chair, preventing its exposure to the air for all of two minutes?

They come standard with Ardbeg glasses. However the Ardbeg glass is a stemmed glass, not a Glen Cairn. At the distillery they throw them away. I know because I got a good box full. No, I wont sell any, the box isn't that big and they break easy (I break several per year - sometimes weekly). In fact the box is half empty already, and with the advent of the American Gestapo, er...I mean TSA, I won't be going back to Scotland any time soon. Chuck, I use them to protect my whisky at times like right now. The glass I'm drinking may last me until bedtime. However, as Chuck said, any piece of glass will do, as will good poker chips, old motel keys (which is what I use at the gazebo), etc. And they don't break as easy.

I just remembered that they call it a "lid," not a "hat." You probably need it when you're drinking Ardbeg, otherwise the aroma will frighten the neighbors.

Both the Glencairn, and also the Ardbeg/Glenmonragie glasses are inspired by the nosing copita glasses used in the industry for...nosing

Blenders use their nose almost exclusively to judge whiskies and select cask to blend together. If you come to any of this blending labs, you'll se this lid as standard equipment. As mentioned here allready I belive there is a multipurpose. To protect the noser and to protect the whisky.

You don't really wan't the aromas from the others samples to disturb you, and you don't really want the whisky to change too much from oxidation

It's more or less just Glenmorangie/Ardbeg glasses that comes with this lid iirc. If you purchase a "professional" nosing copita, they sometimes come with watch glass lid thou

Steffen

Whem we picked a barrel at Four Roses they used Glencairn glasses with lids for the same reason as macdeffe stated.

Never seen one with the lid but now I'm after one. Could make a cool Christmas present too for some whiskey drinking friends.

• 3 months later...
I just remembered that they call it a "lid," not a "hat." You probably need it when you're drinking Ardbeg, otherwise the aroma will frighten the neighbors.

:slappin: that's pretty funny

I have a pair of Glencairn Copita glasses that came with watch glasses. They work very well. There are times when I pour a glass of whisk(e)y and find that I can't finish it for a few hours. The watch glass is exellent for keeping the whisk(e)y untill I get back to it.

• 2 months later...
The watchglass lids are actually more authentic than the ones with the little handles. This thread from 2005 may be instructive.

Also this more recent one.

I've done some tastings at Four Roses where they've used the watch glass things.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.