suggested reading list

flintlock
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What are the recommended books available on bourbon history? Any that are mediocre and best avoided? Any greats that are out of print? I plan on getting Chuck Cowdery's book and also "But Always Fine Bourbon".

Thanks very much.

It's not out yet --- but Mike Veach's upcoming book about the history of bourbon is sure to be a must-have.

I think Mike's book will be out in 2011.

Just released is "Four Roses:The Return Of A Whiskey Legend" by Al Young.

Older ones;

"Kentucky Bourbon, The Early Years of Whiskey Making" by Henry G. Crowgey

"Whiskey, An American Pictorial History" by Oscar Getz

"The Book Of Bourbon" by Gary Regan and Mardee Haidin Regan

"Bourbon At It's Best: The Lore And Allure Of America's Finest Spirits" by Ron Givens

Not to early to drop some hints and maybe Santa will get some books for you.

Chuck Cowdery's book is your first stop and an absolute "must have" for your (limited) bourbon library. There just aren't that many books out there on the subject and IMO his is easily the most informative and fun to read. I found Henry Crowgey's "Kentucky Bourbon: The Early Years Of Whiskeymaking" worthwhile as well and was gifted Ron Given's "Bourbon At Its Best" which is less informative and more of a "coffee table" book but fun to flip through just the same. I'm sure I'm missing a few but start with Chuck's book and have fun!

I have Chuck's book which is invaluable, although it needs an UPDATE!! so much has changed I think (sequel Chuck?)

I like the other suggestions people here have mentioned I hope to give them a whirl.

Don't forget Chuck's dvd: Made and Bottled in Kentucky. It makes a great companion to his book :cool:

Some other books I've enjoyed that are not listed are:

World Whiskey by Charles Maclean

Makers Mark My Autobiography by Bill Samuels

The Great Crossing - A Historic Journey to Buffalo Trace Distillery by Richard Taylor

American Still Life - The Jim Beam Story by F Paul Pacult

Then there's cocktail books & cooking books dedicated to bourbon that I also like reading (and mixing/cooking from):

That Special Touch Makers Mark Cookbook by Sandra Davis

The Kentucky Bourbon Cookbook by Albert Schmid

The Kentuky Bourbon Cocktail Book by Joy Perrine & Susan Reigler

Hope that gives you some more ideas....

• 1 month later...

Chuck Cowdery's book is the best written of the lot IMHO (and I'm not saying that because he is a member here :)). I've probably read some of the sections ten times or so and always seem to pick up some little tidbit I didn't remember. Mine is getting kind of dog eared, time for an update?

I would also recommend Chuck's dvd. The information is basic compared to his book (or most of the books mentioned here), but it's like a virtual distillery tour with accurate history! Although, the music is like "It's a small world", it sticks in your head for two or three days rattling around.

I'm still plowing through "Kentucky Bourbon, The Early Years of Whiskey Making" by Henry G. Crowgey. There is a lot of good infomation there, but it's written like a technical manual.

"The Art of Distilling Whiskey and other spirits" Edited by Bill Owens and Alan Dikty is well written and entertaining. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It also has a very extensive reference section in the back.

Eyewitness Companions "Whiskey" edited by Charles MacLean was a Christmas gift. It's more of a listing of various bottlings of whiskies of all varieties with some history and travel info included. I enjoyed the information even though I normally only drink bourbon.

I like to read, I like to learn how things are made (50+ winery tours and I still seem to see or learn something each time) your mileage may vary.

Joe

I would add a couple that haven't gotten a lot of mention around here. The Images of America series has a Kentucky Bourbonn Trail edition with loads of great pictures.

For Christmas I also got Whiskey and Philosophy edited by Fritz Allhoff & Marcus P. Adams. Like all collections of essays, not everything inside is gold, but there are some really great ones. I just finished a great one called "Women, Whiskey, and Libationary Liberation" by Ada Brunstein. Clever and enjoyable.

I would also recommend Chuck's dvd. The information is basic compared to his book (or most of the books mentioned here), but it's like a virtual distillery tour with accurate history! Although, the music is like "It's a small world", it sticks in your head for two or three days rattling around.

Joe

I'm very proud of that music, Joe. It was all original, no stock. It so happened that Roger Bondurant, a member of the production crew, is also a terrific musician. He got Tim Lake involved and some other Lexington-area musicians. Some of it was music Tim already had recorded, but some was done specifically for the video.

I'm very proud of that music, Joe. It was all original, no stock. It so happened that Roger Bondurant, a member of the production crew, is also a terrific musician. He got Tim Lake involved and some other Lexington-area musicians. Some of it was music Tim already had recorded, but some was done specifically for the video.

It's not that I don't like the music Chuck, I thought it went well with the historic tone of the dvd. But, every time I watch the movie, I have the song in my head for two days or so and randomly start humming it. I'm doing it now just writing this note! It is very persistant :)!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.