Whiskey Tree

SMOWK
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Did your hands turn into lobster claws again?

More or less. Saw the rheumatologist today and it looks like some form of inflammatory arthritis. Good thing I don't use my hands for blogging or being a stay-at-home dad. :skep:

Bummer. Probably can't treat it with bourbon either.

Have you tried speech recognition software?

Bummer. Probably can't treat it with bourbon either.

Have you tried speech recognition software?

I'll definately look into it. Thanks for the tip!

More or less. Saw the rheumatologist today and it looks like some form of inflammatory arthritis. Good thing I don't use my hands for blogging or being a stay-at-home dad. :skep:

Your way to young to be having these problems.

Aren't we all?

Seriously, get well soon!

• 3 months later...

Hope I didn't forget any of the suggestions made over that last few months.

Mashbill Source: Regan & Regan, The Book of Bourbon and Other Fine American Whiskeys (London: Mixellany) 2009. Barton, WT, and Dickel are noted as approximate.

Brand Name (%corn/%rye or wheat/%malted barley)

Whiskey Tree, 4

Now with cooperage information!

Note: These tree is only a breakdown of "macro" distillers

Beam, #4 char, Indepnedent Stave

Beam Mashbill- all JB bourbons, Old Crow, Old Taylor*, Knob Creek, Baker's, Booker's

Old Grandad Mashbill- OGD, Basil Hayden

Rye- JB Rye, Old Overholt, Ri¹

Brown-Forman, #3 char, Brown-Forman Cooperage

Old Forester (72/18/10)- Old Forester, Woodford Reserve

Early Times (79/11/10)

Jack Daniels (80/8/12)

Rye (see Heaven Hill below)- Current source of Heaven Hill's Pikeville and Rittenhouse ryes.

Also sells to many NDPs.

Buffalo Trace, #4 char, Independent Stave

#1, higher corn BT White Dog, Benchmark, Buffalo Trace, Old Charter, Eagle Rare, Geo. T. Stagg

#2, lower corn- Ancient Age*, Elmer T. Lee, Hancock, Blanton's*, Rock Hill Farms, Virginia Gentleman (no longer produced), Bowman Single Barrel

Wheat bourbon: Everything Weller, Van Winkle Special Reserve "Lot B"*, Old Rip Van Winkle*

Rye: Sazerac, Bowman Rye (?)

Diageo, char #3, Indpendent Stave

Dickel (80/12/8) George Dickel, Cascade Hollow

Four Roses, #3.5 char

Has 2 mashbills and 5 yeasts.

All Ten Combinations- Four Roses (yellow label)

OBSK, OBSO, OESK, OESO- Four Roses Small Batch

OBSV- Four Roses Single Barrel

All the combinations are also available as Single Barrel, Barrel Strength retailer bottlings.

Also sells whiskey to Diageo that goes into Bulleit (from the high rye OBS recipes) and I.W. Harper (not available in the U.S.). Also produces the overseas version of McKenna. For more information, including mashbills, see Oscar's chart here.

Heaven Hill, #3 char, Indpendent Stave

Rye Bourbon (75/13/12)- Heaven Hill, J.T.S. Brown, T.W. Samuels, Evan Williams, Elijah Craig, Henry McKenna (U.S.), Parker's Heritage (except for 2010), et al. Also probably the source of Luxco's Ezra Brooks line and the current Yellowstone.

Wheat Bourbon- Old Fitzgerald, Parker's Heritage 2010. Also probably the source of Luxco's Rebel Yell and Rebel Reserve.

Wheat Whiskey- Bernheim Original

Rye Whiskey (37/51/12, aprox.)**- Future source of Pikesville and Rittenhouse 80 & BiB, current source of Rittenhouse 21 & 23 (?)

Corn Whiskey: Mellow Corn, JW Corn, Georgia Moon, Platte Valley*

Also sells to many NDPs.

LDI, ??? char, Independent Stave?

Sells bourbon and rye for many brands including Templeton, High West, W.H. Harrison, Cougar (Australia), Bulleit Rye and KBD. For a breakdown of the of corn, rye and bourbon whiskey mashbills used, see the LDI website: http://www.lawrenceburgdistillersind...om/Custom.aspx

Maker's Mark, #3 char, Independent Stave

Maker's Mark (70/16/14)

Tom Moore, #3 char, Independent Stave

Barton (75/15/10)- Very Old Barton all proofs +???

1792 (high barley?)- 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, +???

Other Bourbons: Tom Moore BiB, Kentucky Gentleman, Kentucky Tavern, Ten High, Walker's Delluxe, other "cats & dogs".The rest, unknown

Rye- Fleischman's Rye

Before it was purchased by Sazerac, sold to a lot of NDPs.

Wild Turkey, #4 "the heavy char", Independent Stave

Bourbon (75/13/12)- Wild Turkey, Russell's Reserve Bourbon

Rye (37/51/12, aprox.)**- Wild Turkey Rye, Russell's Reserve Rye

Brands on the market with whiskey from closed distilleries:

Medley Rye- Older bottlings of Hirsch, post-PA Michter's, Black Maple Hill rye, others?

Mix of Medley Rye and Cream of Kentucky rye (Bernheim distillery)- Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye

Stitzel-Weller bourbon- Pappy Van Winkle, Jefferson's Reserve 17, 18 et al

*Brand not owned by the distiller.

**Based on more current information. Regan & Regan list both ryes at 23/65/12.

PROBLEMS/QUESTIONS: Regan & Regan list an approximate mashbill for all the bourbons made at "Ancient Age Distillery" as 80/10/10. That can't be right, but which mashbill does that represent, #1 or #2?

Also, a mashbill of 75/20/5 is listed for Old Fitz, Weller and Rebel Yell while at Bernheim. What is the current mashbill?

#2, lower corn- Ancient Age*, Elmer T. Lee, Hancock, Blanton's*, Rock Hill Farms, Virginia Gentleman (no longer produced), Bowman Single Barrel

[

I have it on pretty good authority that Virginia Gentleman IS still being produced and sold, never went out of production. "the Fox" 90 proof is no longer bottled but there are several fine bourbons under theASB label, Bowman brothers small batch (90 proof), John Bowman single barrel (100 proof) and Abraham Bowman (limited/special releases)

Etohchem

I have it on pretty good authority that Virginia Gentleman IS still being produced and sold, never went out of production. "the Fox" 90 proof is no longer bottled but there are several fine bourbons under theASB label, Bowman brothers small batch (90 proof), John Bowman single barrel (100 proof) and Abraham Bowman (limited/special releases)

Etohchem

Seeing how your the new Master Distiller at ASB maybe you could do something about bringing the Fox back.

I'll second that request. I am enjoying the Bowman Rye and looking forward to trying the others that TPS has brought in.

Just awesome, Josh.

This tree is beyond essential.

Moderators, may we please sticky??:cool: :cool:

Etohchem

I knew I forgot something! Thanks for the correction. I loved the bottle of the Single Barrel I got a year or so ago. Great stuff. But I do miss the Fox!

I found my notes from a 2007 interview with Eddie Russell in which he told me the mash bill for Wild Turkey Rye is 51% rye.

He also told me they make rye three to four days a year. That was almost four years ago, so they may be up to five by now. They age it on the middle floors of the warehouses.

I have it on pretty good authority

This made me smile. Congratulations Truman!

• 2 months later...

Is the Russell's Reserve Rye a blend of three different ages of WT Rye in the same respect that the bourbon is? That is, a blend of specifically selected barrels of the same mashbill, same char, only different lengths of time in the warehouse(s).

Is the Russell's Reserve Rye a blend of three different ages of WT Rye in the same respect that the bourbon is? That is, a blend of specifically selected barrels of the same mashbill, same char, only different lengths of time in the warehouse(s).

The RR rye is 6 years old all of it. Your confusing the RR Bourbon which is all 10 yrs old with Rare Breed.

This is an invaluable resource. Now if only someone would format it to make for easier absorption!

I'm working on a graphical approach... but not moving super fast.

The RR rye is 6 years old all of it. Your confusing the RR Bourbon which is all 10 yrs old with Rare Breed.

Thanks for the clarification.

Mashbill Source: Regan & Regan, The Book of Bourbon and Other Fine American Whiskeys (London: Mixellany) 2009, unless otherwise noted. Barton, WT, and Dickel are noted as approximate.

Whiskey Tree, 4.1

Barton-1792, #3 char, Independent Stave

Other Bourbons: Tom Moore BiB, Kentucky Gentleman, Kentucky Tavern, Ten High, Walker's Delluxe, other "cats & dogs".The rest, unknown

Rye- Fleischman's Rye

Beam Mashbill- all JB bourbons, Old Crow, Old Taylor*, Knob Creek, Baker's, Booker's

Early Times (79/11/10)

Jack Daniels (80/8/12)

Rye (see Heaven Hill below)- Current source of Heaven Hill's Pikeville and Rittenhouse ryes.

Also sells to many NDPs.

#1, higher corn BT White Dog, Benchmark, Buffalo Trace, Old Charter, Eagle Rare, Geo. T. Stagg

#2, lower corn- Ancient Age*, Elmer T. Lee*, Hancock*, Blanton's*, Rock Hill Farms*, Virginia Gentleman, Bowman Bourbons

Wheat bourbon: Everything Weller, Van Winkle Special Reserve "Lot B"*, Old Rip Van Winkle*

Rye: Sazerac, Bowman Rye

Dickel (80/12/8)George Dickel, Cascade Hollow

Four Roses, #3.5 char

All the combinations are also available as Single Barrel, Barrel Strength retailer bottlings.

Also sells whiskey to Diageo that goes into Bulleit (from the high rye OBS recipes) and I.W. Harper (not available in the U.S.) and produces the overseas version of McKenna. For more information, including mashbills, see Oscar's chart here.

Rye Bourbon (75/13/12)- Heaven Hill, J.T.S. Brown, T.W. Samuels, Evan Williams, Elijah Craig, Henry McKenna (U.S.), Parker's Heritage (except for 2010), et al. Also probably the source of Luxco's Ezra Brooks line and the current Yellowstone.

Wheat Bourbon- Old Fitzgerald, Parker's Heritage 2010. Also probably the source of Luxco's Rebel Yell and Rebel Reserve.

Rye Whiskey (37/51/12, aprox.)**- Future source of Pikesville and Rittenhouse 80 & BiB, current source of Rittenhouse 21 & 23 (?)

Also sells to many NDPs.

Sells bourbon and rye for many brands including Templeton, Redemption et al, High West, W.H. Harrison, Cougar (Australia), Bulleit Rye and KBD. For a breakdown of the of corn, rye and bourbon whiskey mashbills used, see the LDI website: http://www.lawrenceburgdistillersind...om/Custom.aspx

Maker's Mark (70/16/14)

Medley Rye- Older bottlings of Hirsch, post-PA Michter's, Black Maple Hill rye, others?

Mix of Medley Rye and Cream of Kentucky rye (Bernheim distillery)- Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye

Stitzel-Weller bourbon- Pappy Van Winkle (?), Jefferson's Reserve 17, 18 et al

A few American bottlers and/or marketers have been purchasing 100% rye rye from a Canadian distillery or distilleries. It is often presumed these are from Alberta distillers in Calgary, but as of yet there is no firm evidence. So far, these are Whistle Pig and Jefferson's Rye.

*Brand(s) not owned by the distiller.

**Based on more current information.

PROBLEMS/QUESTIONS: Regan & Regan list an approximate mashbill for all the bourbons made at "Ancient Age Distillery" as 80/10/10. That can't be right, but which mashbill does that represent, #1 or #2?

Also, a mashbill of 75/20/5 is listed for Old Fitz, Weller and Rebel Yell while at Bernheim. What is the current mashbill?

OK, been away from this for a while, so I assume a forgot a bunch of stuff discussed since then. Let me know!

As always, Josh, outstanding!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

How about EH Taylor being listed under BT High Corn, and Stephen Foster under HH's Rye group?

As always, Josh, outstanding!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

How about EH Taylor being listed under BT High Corn, and Stephen Foster under HH's Rye group?

Mashbill Source: Regan & Regan, The Book of Bourbon and Other Fine American Whiskeys (London: Mixellany) 2009, unless otherwise noted. Barton, WT, and Dickel are noted as approximate.

Whiskey Tree, 4.2

Barton-1792, #3 char, Independent Stave

Rye- Fleischman's Rye

Early Times (79/11/10)

Jack Daniels (80/8/12)

Also sells to many NDPs.

#1, higher corn BT White Dog, Benchmark, Buffalo Trace, Old Charter, Eagle Rare, Col. E.H. Taylor, Geo. T. Stagg

#2, lower corn- Ancient Age*, Elmer T. Lee*, Hancock*, Blanton's*, Rock Hill Farms*, Virginia Gentleman, Bowman Bourbons

Rye: Sazerac, Bowman Rye

Dickel (80/12/8)George Dickel, Cascade Hollow

Four Roses, #3.5 char

Also sells whiskey to Diageo that goes into Bulleit (from the high rye OBS recipes) and I.W. Harper (not available in the U.S.) and produces the overseas version of McKenna. For more information, including mashbills, see Oscar's chart here.

Rye Whiskey (37/51/12, aprox.)**- Future source of Pikesville and Rittenhouse 80 & BiB, Stephen Foster, current source of Rittenhouse 21 & 23 (?)

Also sells to many NDPs.

Sells bourbon and rye for many brands including Templeton, Redemption et al, High West, W.H. Harrison, Cougar (Australia), Bulleit Rye and KBD. For a breakdown of the of corn, rye and bourbon whiskey mashbills used, see the LDI website: http://www.lawrenceburgdistillersind...om/Custom.aspx

Maker's Mark (70/16/14)

Medley Rye- Older bottlings of Hirsch, post-PA Michter's(?), Black Maple Hill rye, others?

Stitzel-Weller bourbon- Pappy Van Winkle (?), Jefferson's Reserve 17, 18 et al

A few American bottlers and/or marketers have been purchasing 100% rye rye from a Canadian distillery or distilleries. It is often presumed these are from Alberta distillers in Calgary, but as of yet there is no firm evidence. So far, these are Whistle Pig and Jefferson's Rye.

*Brand(s) not owned by the distiller.

**Based on more current information.

Again, if anybody sees anything screwy, don't be shy! post it here so it can be corrected.

How do we know that the E H Taylor is the high corn / low rye mash bill? This is a different bourbon every year. One year it's going to made with white corn. Not trying to ruffle any feathers just asking.

How do we know that the E H Taylor is the high corn / low rye mash bill? This is a different bourbon every year. One year it's going to made with white corn. Not trying to ruffle any feathers just asking.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.