Camacho Impressions and Opinions?

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was just talking with Troyce on the phone, and he was telling me that he smoked one of the Camacho's yesterday, and he wasn't too impressed. This launched me into my stories on the dozen or so different Camacho's that I have samples over the last couple of years...None of which I would give 2 cents for. This is just a family of cigars that I flat out do not care for. All seem to have some combination of harshness (my primary problem with them), poor draw, and irregular burning. Am I missing something? Any of you fellow cigar somokers out there have an opinion on this brand? If you are a fan, can you recommend one that I might try,that might give me a better opinion of the brand?

• 4 months later...

I smoke a lot of the Camacho Corojo Limited in either the Robusto/diploma size or the 11/18 size. I also like the Camacho Triple Maduro in all sizes except the Torpedo (this one size always has a nasty section near the final third). And finally I love the Camacho Connecticut especially in the Figurado size.

If you are finding Camacho cigars too harsh try the Connecticut as I find it to be smooth and tasty. Be careful thou they do pack a nicotine punch that can knock you down when you smoke too many in a row.

Looking back on my log of cigars, looks like I have only had one Camacho, and that was their Triple Maduro (Torpedo). From the looks of things I liked it, it was pretty toothy and rich, definitely a full bodied, dark beauty. I wrote down "notes of coffee, chocolate, and some cedar." My personal rating of it was a 8.5/10. From the sounds of it, I'd be willing to try it again. Other than that I haven't had any from them.

The Camacho Corojo Limited are the jewels in my opnion as well. I have several of the scorpions (same as the 11/18 size I believe) that were factory aged 5 years prior to release, they have burn problems on occassion but are a smoke with little bite. However the power will sneak up on you.

I believe the scorpions are a different size then the 11/18. I find both to be excellent but the scorpions are more tapered old school perfecto shaped where the 11/18 are more like a hybrid that you would get if a churchill and a perfecto had a child.

If I had to rate my favorite Camacho's it would be:

1. Camacho Liberty (overpriced/bad value but a good smoke)

2. Camacho Corojo Limited/Diploma

3. Camacho Connecticut

4. Camacho Triple Maduro

5. Camacho SLR Maduro

The Camacho Pre-embargo is not a bad cigar just a terrible value, for the price I would rather smoke a Cohiba.

• 9 months later...

Camacho is one of my favorite cigar makers. Love the corojo, the triple maduro, and just about most everything they make. In fact, our cigar shop is sponsoring a tour to their camp in Honduras in March.

I was just talking with Troyce on the phone, and he was telling me that he smoked one of the Camacho's yesterday, and he wasn't too impressed. This launched me into my stories on the dozen or so different Camacho's that I have samples over the last couple of years...None of which I would give 2 cents for.

Good. Now I know what to leave on the Gazebo railings in April.:lol:

Joe :usflag:

Good. Now I know what to leave on the Gazebo railings in April.:lol:

:lol: Good one! :lol: You're still pretty quick at your age, Joe. :lol: Will I ever live that one down??....Probably, not....:D

:toast:

• 2 months later...

Have an opportunity to pick up a box of the triple maduro at a really discount price. Anybody else have an opinion on this cigar. Will likely buy a single stick to try. Do enjoy maduros.

Have an opportunity to pick up a box of the triple maduro at a really discount price. Anybody else have an opinion on this cigar. Will likely buy a single stick to try. Do enjoy maduros.

I was given a 5 pack of the maduros a long time ago. Smoked the first one and it reminders me of the junk they tried to pass off as cigars during the cigar boom. Let them air in my humidor for a year hoping some additional time in cedar would help. Smoked the second one and... well... my roses really enjoyed the ground up remains of the other 3.

Now, in all fairness it has been about 10 years since I have touched one, but the Cotonou was the only one I found smokable, and even then hardly worth their price.

These used to be very good cigars back in the day when Chistian ran the small business. The original SLR was a great stick.... going back 12-15 years. Big, rich, powerful and cheap. Since the 2008 acquisition they have IMO lost their touch to make a decent cigar...

I smoked a Camacho Torpedo today that was pretty damn good.

• 8 months later...

tried a namakubi and a triple maduro last week; both were well done but the namakubi was something very interesting; will have to try a box of those.

• 6 months later...

Success!! A couple fellow SB'ers and I attended a Bourbon & Cigar Dinner at a steak joint in Buckhead, where I had a Camacho Corojo Toro Natural. All of the negative things I had experienced and reported up thread with this brand in the past, were absent. Mild, nutty, full flavor. Nothing harsh about it. Drew perfectly, and beautiful even burn. Top notch. I'll be picking some of these up for the coolidor. Actually, looking forward to trying this one again as soon as possible.

• 3 years later...

I have very limited experience, but I have enjoyed the Camacho Connecticut (Robusto). I have 2 Camacho American Barrel Aged in the tuppidor waiting for a special occasion. I also enjoy the Camacho BG Meyers Slackers for a quick mild smoke. 

• 5 months later...

I used to occasionally enjoy the Liberty Series. Pricey but really good. Never really got into any of the other lines.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.