Ice Ball Maker from Maker's Mark

TomFischer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Something tells me there are a few Maker's Mark Ambassadors here on StraighBourbon. Maker's sends their Ambassadors holiday gifts each year and for 2010, Maker's Mark has delivered a nice plastic ice ball maker for a spherical shape which will ensure less surface area in your near "perfect" ice cube, it won't melt as slowly giving you optimum Bourbon drinking moments..and not the water.

Anyone used theirs? Here is a picture of it and more info on this link - ice ball maker

Or you could use these in place of snowballs for snowball fights...jk!

I think Tom meant it won't melted as quickly.

In Japan, apprentice bartenders carve spheres and other ice shapes from square blocks. There is a machine for bars that will do the same thing. That is perceived as better than the molded type, although the molded ones are all I've had, here in Chicago at bars such as The Violet Hour and The Whistler.

There was a big stink a few years ago when one of the single malts started to promote ice balls and give the carving machines to bars because, you know, single malt drinkers thought their sacrament was being defiled.

Just got mine last week and will test it out tonight. Seems a bit gimmicky to me, but what do I know? I'm not much for ice in my whiskey anyway (especially in winter) but what the heck, it looks interesting.

I got mine, made some last night my MIL's boyfriend is coming over for Christmas and it was discussed that he wanted to try Templeton rye over ice.

The trays are a little hard to fill and empty.

The MoMA "two ball" ones are tricky to fill as well. You fill

up the lower half and then set the upper half into the lower

part. Any little "jiggle" and you hear a "whistle" sound when

the upper half raises which can result in not fully formed

spheres if you put it into the freezer this way. It takes a

bit of trial & error but after doing it a few times, you can

get it to work.

As far as removing the ice, I've had no problem with the 2

piece set - using a butter knife to chip away excess and pry

out the spheres - and figure this would work on the MM set

as well. Not as easy as the old "twist & dump" ice trays but

not terribly bothersome.

Certainly a conversation starter. Believe I'll stick with my cracked ice though as the Bourbon doesn't last long enough to become diluted.

I also bought a set when i was in NY from MoMA, probably prefer the red MM version as the guys do give me a bit of sh*t for having a pink set. I am a big advocate of them though as they do last for two drinks worth here in the Sunshine State. :grin:

Just a disclaimer to anyone who might be looking at ice trays made of silicone. I had a nice set a couple years back, they were perfect 1.5" cubes. After a few uses, I noticed my drinks started tasting a little off. Sure enough, it was the ice. I tried everything to wash the trays, vinegar, baking soda, regular soap and water, but nothing worked. YMMV, but that is why I like the non-silicone MM ice ball trays.

Yes, filling is a bit annoying so I'm going to drill out a wider hole for ease of filling. I've made a dozen 1/2 balls which seemed cool.

Yes, filling is a bit annoying so I'm going to drill out a wider hole for ease of filling. I've made a dozen 1/2 balls which seemed cool.

You don't fill them thru those little holes.

You fill the bottom tray (the one without holes) with water and then put the other tray on top it and the excess water comes thru those little holes.

BTW, I see a couple of entrepreneurs have some up for sale on eBay.

So... I am finally getting around to trying them tonight. First with some OGD BIB. It is a bit watered down, and deteriorated the finish that I love from OGD. However, afterwards I poured some current GTS over an ice ball, and voila! Me likey.

While the balls are great, an easier way to make a single, big ice cube is cut off the bottom of a plastic water bottle and use that as a mold. Pick a bottle that's just a little smaller than the glass you want to use. Similar effect, but a lot easier to make.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.