LDI Rye Running Out.

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'll note one thing, with the first run of Sazerac having been released in 2005, at 7yo (originally intended to be released at 6yo, but put off due to a little bit of wind and water in NOLA) the remaining, aging barrels from that batch have already passed the 12yo mark.

The 06 release of Handy @ 8yo5mo would suggest that any of those remaining barrels would pass 13yo sometime this spring. Their continued current trend of releasing Handy at nearly the same age as current Sazerac, says they aren't willing to pull any aging stocks until VWFRR and Saz 18 get replaced.

Good points all, my regret is that Julian pulled the 10 yr Old Time after posting the whisky was already 13 or more years old and then bottled what remained as 13 yr old or older expressions. Certainly justifiable on his part and I appreciate his openness about making the change. My first move was to call the larger retailers in New Orleans and reserve what they had left of the 10 yr old, all of two bottles, and then that was that. Oh, well, just have to be contented with what is available now.

Wow. Since we are just making shiat up here, do you still stand behind your statement that you believe it is natural to beat your spouse and children as long as they are are asking for it? :bigeyes:

Take a moment and re-read the thread. If you really don't understand the concept that I was trying to relay from memory here, I will gladly break it down for you.

I misquoted and misrepresented you. My apologies.

Good points all, my regret is that Julian pulled the 10 yr Old Time after posting the whisky was already 13 or more years old and then bottled what remained as 13 yr old or older expressions. ...

I think I missed something. Is this a story from a decade ago, or was there a short-lived recent release? I'd be stoked if VW released a distinct profile of BT juice that nestled in between BT's Saz Jr/Handy and the yearly bottling of Ye Olde Stainless Tank.

I think I missed something. Is this a story from a decade ago, or was there a short-lived recent release? I'd be stoked if VW released a distinct profile of BT juice that nestled in between BT's Saz Jr/Handy and the yearly bottling of Ye Olde Stainless Tank.

I'm pretty sure he means the 12yo Old Time Rye 90 proof that predated the 13yo VWFRR.

I'm pretty sure he means the 12yo Old Time Rye 90 proof that predated the 13yo VWFRR.

Yes, I am pretty sure he is speaking of something a while back. come on Roger, try to keep up here. :lol:

I think I've seen a reference to a 10yo at about the same time as the 12yo (was it Christian?), but never seen one.

And it's Highe Thyme we have another young'un!

Not me, never heard of a 10 yo Rye. Heard of, and have 2, of the NAS ORVW bourbon, alleged to be either 7 or 4, but this is first I'd ever heard of a 10 year old Rye. I'd like to think you and Squire are just misremembering it as I don't need another thing to lust after.

Not me, never heard of a 10 yo Rye. Heard of, and have 2, of the NAS ORVW bourbon, alleged to be either 7 or 4, but this is first I'd ever heard of a 10 year old Rye. I'd like to think you and Squire are just misremembering it as I don't need another thing to lust after.

I'm ready to let the 10 Yeare Olde Thyme Riye goe. But I am totally ready for BT/VW to release a middleweight expression. There's been 10yo Saz juice for a few years now, c'mon you Frankforters!

I am probably confusing the 10 yr Old Rip with the 12 yr Old Time Rye that was phased out about five years ago. The full discussion is in our archives, I just lack the ability to link the posts here.

Not so much now but in the early days, Julian would create a product specifically for a customer, so it's possible there was a 10-year-old rye in Old Rip clothing that was made for a single wholesale customer and maybe amounted to 20 or 30 cases. I remember back before the Buffalo Trace hook-up Julian telling me that his biggest customer then was the Berhoff in Chicago, which bought 1,000 cases a year. That's not a lot. Julian's business was based on selling small quantities of a premium and heavily customized product to a lot of different customers.

Don't know where I got the idea of an Old Rip 10 yr rye, after reflection I put it down to faulty memory. If I ever had some it came from New Orleans during one of my Christmas shopping trips.

I'm not sure what Paul Pacult was thinking when he mentioned a 10-year rye.

Other than the 13-year rye out now, we only had a ORVW-Old Time rye that was in the squat bottle and 12-year, 90 Proof.

Julian

There we go, from the source.

When he says, "we only had a ORVW-Old Time rye" does he mean it was an NAS? Because of the 10-year-old Old Rip bourbon in the barrel bottle, one could be excused for assuming, albiet incorrectly, that a rye in the same bottle was also 10 even though it was NAS.

When he says, "we only had a ORVW-Old Time rye" does he mean it was an NAS? Because of the 10-year-old Old Rip bourbon in the barrel bottle, one could be excused for assuming, albiet incorrectly, that a rye in the same bottle was also 10 even though it was NAS.

I'm gonna say it's just poor writing:

We only had ORVW Old Time Rye that was:

-in the squat bottle

-and 12yo, 90 proof.

No, not really because he continues the statement using the word "that" meaning his descriptor of said items continues. Sorry, but it's really not that confusing a statement.

• 3 weeks later...

BUMP BUMP..... This just in BULLEIT is releasing a RYE scheduled release around March 14. Do not know the age yet. Still working on the facts but I heard that it is coming out of Illinois my question was is it being distilled there? No answer .... now they mentioned that FR may be distilling it. If thats the case then they are shipping it to Illinois for bottling at Diageo's bottling line there.

Line priced with Bulleit's Bourbon (it has a grenn label same design and placement on the bottle).

Bulleit 95 Rye is it's name.

INFO:

Bulleit 95 Straight Rye Whiskey, a small batch Straight Rye Whiskey made with a 95% Rye Mash (one of the highest Rye‟s available) from a small reserve of the Bulleit Co‟s finest Rye stock producing a whiskey with an unparalleled character of spice and complexity.

Anyone have any other info

post-4163-1448981711045_thumb.jpg

post-4163-1448981711045_thumb.jpg

BUMP BUMP..... This just in BULLEIT is releasing a RYE scheduled release around March 14. Do not know the age yet. Still working on the facts but I heard that it is coming out of Illinois my question was is it being distilled there? No answer .... now they mentioned that FR may be distilling it. If thats the case then they are shipping it to Illinois for bottling at Diageo's bottling line there.

Line priced with Bulleit's Bourbon (it has a grenn label same design and placement on the bottle).

Bulleit 95 Rye is it's name.

INFO:

Bulleit 95 Straight Rye Whiskey, a small batch Straight Rye Whiskey made with a 95% Rye Mash (one of the highest Rye‟s available) from a small reserve of the Bulleit Co‟s finest Rye stock producing a whiskey with an unparalleled character of spice and complexity.

Anyone have any other info

Great info! Thanks. Given the 95% rye mash, I'd say that this is very likely an LDI distillate.

I don't have any other info on it, but I'm intrigued. I assume since it's 95% rye it's LDI, although I'm secretly hoping Four Roses has been distilling rye. I hope there is some age on this though...

I don't have any other info on it, but I'm intrigued. I assume since it's 95% rye it's LDI, although I'm secretly hoping Four Roses has been distilling rye. I hope there is some age on this though...

I too share that hope, but the last few ppl who asked Rutledge about a rye have been told that 4R is focusing on rebuilding the bourbon and a rye would be a ways down the road. At the Cox's Creek tour I was on in the spring there was no mention of a rye.

I've been told in the past that 4R has stockpiles of LDI rye back from the days when they were both part of Seagram's.

I've been told in the past that 4R has stockpiles of LDI rye back from the days when they were both part of Seagram's.

Interesting. I would assume that rye is actually owned by Diageo?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.