BOTM 1/11: J.T.S. Brown BIB

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I can't believe I have the BOTM posted on time two months in a row. Probably the last time that will happen. :skep:

The bourbon from the movie The Hustler. Here is the exchange between Fast Eddie Felsen (Paul Newman) and Minnesota Fats (Jackie Gleason) from what I could find. Fats says, "Preach! Go down and get me some White Tavern whiskey, a glass and some ice." Then Eddie says, "Preacher! Go on down and get me some bourbon. J. T. S. Brown. No ice, no glass." Gotta love it. :cool:

I know J.T.S. Brown BIB isn't distributed to very many parts of the country, (Texas, Ohio, Kentucky, and ???? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.:rolleyes: ) but I have seen the 80 proof version here in Illinois and Wisconsin. This bourbon seems to pop up from time to time here in posts, and conversations in the chat room. I believe that a lot of us are familiar with it, so I thought why not use it as the BOTM.

So let 'er rip. What say yee about J.T.S. Brown BIB? If you have any comments on the 80 proof version, go ahead and post those too. What the heck? As far as my two cents, well......... I don't have one in the cabinet at the moment. Alas, I forgot to get a couple of bottles the last time I was down in Bardstown. :frown: To me J.T.S. Brown BIB is very similar to many other BIB's. Some that I've had that come to mind are, Ancient Age BIB, Evan Williams BIB and Heaven Hill 6 year Old BIB, which I just happen to be enjoying as I write this. :grin: From what I can remember, the nose is a bit nutty with an earthy quality to it. The taste is about the same, but with that added touch of alcohol/citrus that HH is known for. Not drab and not overpowering. Easy going from start to finish. Just plain good. J.T.S. Brown is nothing fancy, but it delivers more than what you pay for it. It's a bourbon that has a good flavor, and can be purchased at a great price. What more can you say? A truly great value pour. I sure hope it stays around a while.

Cheers and Happy New Year! :woohoo: Joe

I had a bottle last summer. It's an excellent mixer (I used it to make some milk punch) and decent on the rocks with a shot or two of bitters. It also did well in a Bourbon & Benedictine (at 3:1).

I still think I prefer the 6 y/o HH BiB, but JTS Brown is a good affordable choice for a well bourbon.

The brand has a pretty interesting history iirc. It was made at what is now Wild Turkey before Austin-Nichols bought the facility. Lots of good pictures from the JTS Brown era in Images of America: Kentucky Bourbon Trail.

A full week into the month, and a mere three comments on J. T. S. Brown BIB, behind comments on 11 other bourbons. I'm not surprised. Brown in pretty nasty stuff that I've tried out of curiosity, but would never purchase again. If I want GOOD budget bourbon, I'll buy VOB BIB.

I picked up several bottles of JTS BRown BiB last trip to KY because I had never seen the label before and thought it would be a cheap fun novelty pour when friends came over. Turns out I really liked it and so does nearly everyone who tries it. Not complex or challenging it isn't a go to sipper but it's sweet and tasty without any of the flavors (mint, eucaliptus, anise) that so often detract from bottom shelf juice.

I have only tasted from that original stash of bottles so I don't know if it is consistent from batch to batch.

It's as Rare as lips on a chicken here in Florida and something I have never seen anywhere except in Bardstown and Louisville it is playing to a very small audience - and I expect that explains the lack of response.

I'll be picking up a few more my next trip to Ky.

I picked up a bottle in Ky last week. Good honest bourbon. Full of that hh flavor I call grassy. Not a bad buy either. 10 bucks for a liter.

Pardon a noob question here, but is there a significant difference, production-wise, in the various smaller HH brands? For instance, between JTS Brown, Old Heaven Hill, and Cabin Still, etc.?

Most of the stores around me have gallons upon gallons of Cabin Still on the bottom shelves... haven't bought any, though.

Pardon a noob question here, but is there a significant difference, production-wise, in the various smaller HH brands? For instance, between JTS Brown, Old Heaven Hill, and Cabin Still, etc.?

Most of the stores around me have gallons upon gallons of Cabin Still on the bottom shelves... haven't bought any, though.

Good question that I hope someone here can answer. And welcome to SB!

This bourbon has some very weird and different flavors going on, but like all HH young bonds, I really like it.

The last time I was in KY I searched heavily for this bottom shelf gem and only found one bottle.

Picked up a bottle at Liquor Barn last night. I found it surprisingly good. Nutty, minty, great mouthfeel, I put it on the same pedestal as VOB BIB as far as value goes. Had it on the rocks while at the neighbor's and neat at home today. I would choose this over Evan Williams Black Label any day of the week (although maybe the Evan Williams BIB is similar, but I've never had it.)

I like this as a value pour. Nobody is going to mistake it for EWSB, but I find it to be very drinkable straight or on the rocks.

I like this as a value pour. Nobody is going to mistake it for EWSB, but I find it to be very drinkable straight or on the rocks.

Never tried it.Maybe someday

If you had to pick one- between VOB BIB and JTS brown BIB- what would be your value/bulk buy?

I've been looking for JTS Brown BIB for several years, mostly due to the fact that a friend of mine thinks it's a "fictional" bourbon that doesn't really exist, other than in the movie "The Hustler." I finally came across a dozen bottles at the South Loop Binny's only to discover that they were all the 80 proof expression, so I passed on them. Someday I'll get the BIB in hand and drop one off on my buddy's doorstep--he'll certainly be surprised. (And I'll stick one on the bar for myself, of course.)

I'm happy to say JTS Brown is available in Indiana. It seems like it's one of those brands like OWA 107 as far as availability goes. The stores that stock it go through spans of time without any on the shelves. The best way I could describe JTS Brown BIB is at 100 proof, it tastes like a very mild 80 proof bourbon. It has a nice mouth feel, tastes mostly like corn, not much rye, or oak.

It's a very good budget pour. Very nice flavor, and very much like the Evan Williams BIB's, if you've ever tried them. It/they have a very nice unsweetended dark chocolatey/cocoa thing going on, that I find very drinkable. These expressions of HH's BIB's have won a special place in my heart over the last couple of years, as I find all of them to be extremely nice whiskies, at a very reasonable price.

If you had to pick one- between VOB BIB and JTS brown BIB- what would be your value/bulk buy?

I don't have a bottle of VOB BIB at home right now to compare, but I'd split it 50/50 if I was stocking up. IMO they are both better than some bourbons that sell for twice the price.

I don't have a bottle of VOB BIB at home right now to compare, but I'd split it 50/50 if I was stocking up. IMO they are both better than some bourbons that sell for twice the price.

Thanks- exactly what I was wondering!

I also would rate VOB and JTS Brown BIBs similarly. I'd say sample both. The VOB is 6 years old and made by Barton. I believe the JTS Brown is 4 years old and made by HH.

I will courteously disagree with my esteemed colleagues. I think VOB is vastly superior to JTS Brown.

I need to go pick up some more VOB. I haven't had it in awhile. I always enjoyed it, especially for $12, but remember a lot of banana (I think it was banana) which I don't find in JTS Brown BIB.

I also would rate VOB and JTS Brown BIBs similarly. I'd say sample both. The VOB is 6 years old and made by Barton. I believe the JTS Brown is 4 years old and made by HH.

Interestingly enough, Ohio lists the 80 proof JTS Brown at 4 years old and the BiB at 5. Fact or fiction?

I don't remember seeing an age statement on the JTS Brown label. I will have to look into it. I like VOB, but have never found the bonded version in Indiana, only the 86. I usually have to get VOB BIB in KY or IL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.