Tom's Foolery tasting

imbibehour
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I finally got around to trying this out.

I did a tasting of Tom's Foolery applejack against Laird's. It was a lot of fun and this is quite an interesting product.

I will admit I am not the biggest fan of "apples" actually, but I do like Applejack and the few cocktails you can make with it.

So here is my recent tasting and video review of Tom's Foolery. Enjoy!

It should be noted that the Laird's used in the comparison is blended applejack. It contains GNS. The Tom's is 100% applejack. Laird's does make a 100% applejack product but it's not as widely distributed as the blend.

Not really apples to apples, then.

(groan)

padpadpadpadpad

This sounds like something I would like to sample. Is there an age statement? I ask because I'm thinking of Calvados.

This sounds like something I would like to sample. Is there an age statement? I ask because I'm thinking of Calvados.

No age statement, but this batch spent two years in wood. They want to get later batches up to 4+ years old for bottling. A variety of barrels are used, including former cognac and bourbon cooperage.

Had a bottle of Calvados once, don't recall the age but it was a fully mature, highly polished spirit. Would really like to see something like that made domestically.

It should be noted that the Laird's used in the comparison is blended applejack. It contains GNS. The Tom's is 100% applejack. Laird's does make a 100% applejack product but it's not as widely distributed as the blend.

Thanks Chuck I will note that in the description of the video.

Thanks Chuck I will note that in the description of the video.

So...you didn't realize that ahead of time?

So...you didn't realize that ahead of time?

Didn't read the entire bottle before hand ;)

Just saw it now... never realized that before... 65% GNS so it says...

Didn't read the entire bottle before hand ;)

Just saw it now... never realized that before... 65% GNS so it says...

Well, let's chalk that one up to experience.:lol:

Well, let's chalk that one up to experience.:lol:

I was doing a lot in this video, and it's aimed at the applejack is applejack mindset. The second thing is there is a lot information I have to do and pack into making these videos, sometimes things fall through the cracks.

Here's the thing.

I didn't bother getting on the video and reading EVERYTHING on the Laird's bottle because... I am on a time limit and there are 15 minutes where I have to condense information, and it's a bottle... been there, seen it, done that... reading everything online takes time and can make the vid a bore. I went .. hey this is Laird's ok... next.. Tom's blah blah blah blah, etc... make in cocktail... edit.. etc...

I did read the Tom's because it was not a product people have probably heard of so I thought I should read everything it said on the bottle.

A similar thing happened in another tasting I did where I "wrote" the wrong distiller for 1792... stuff happens yes chalk it up to experience (I was able to edit that information luckily, and the error occurred because I spent a LOT of time editing and putting this together and got my notes mixed up).

Here on SB, people really care and its important to get it right, will I note this sure absolutely, cause I care also. If I didn't I wouldn't even be on this forum with other whiskey and spirit fans.

I try to walk a line between being strongly accurate and promoting the importance of product and good drink, but also not getting to heady and nerdy as well. It's a fine line, sometimes hard to balance to keep myself well happy.

The reality is the small amount of people who would even look at this video would probably not even know what GNS is... but I agree that is a big difference between the two products mentioned, so it is noted.

So that's how I look at it.

Ironicaly after having done the tasting I want to actually compare it to a bottle of Christian Drouin Calvados I have, and then perhaps a true 100% Laird's product as Chuck has mentioned.

Dang you guys are making me busy with ideas I can't keep up :cool:

Sometimes sarcasm doesn't come across the Internet so I don't take this as a slight or personal.

Thanks to all and cheers.

The way I look at it is that as a writer, I am educating people. If I don't think my audience knows what GNS is, for instance, then it's my job to tell them what it is. They may not need a dissertation on the subject, but they should know. If I can't give them a succinct description, then I shouldn't be in the game. But that's just my philosophy. YMMV, as they say.

A bit more explanation is useful I think, for our non posting readers.

Yup and I added a note in the video there so people will see it when watching. It's at the 39 second mark.

I wonder if the fact that it is a blend allows them to add coloring?

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of years ago I tried Laird's Old Apple Brandy 7 1/2 yr old. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't too sweet. My assumption was incorrect. I liked it. I'll probably buy another bottle for a change.

Unfortunately, many people who want to try an American apple brandy go for the Laird's blended applejack, which contains neutral spirits and just isn't as good as a true apple brandy, but it's a lot cheaper. Because of the price point that's the product that is most readily available. True apple brandy tastes more like (grape) brandy than it does like apple juice or cider.

There are a few microdistillers besides Tom who are making applejack. It was, after all, America's first distilled spirit. I think it has a lot of potential. More people should try it.

Maybe it'll be the next big thing.

I gotta put in a plug for Oregon's own, Clear Creek.

Their apple brandy comes in two age choices. The two-year-old (OR price $25.45) is very fresh, with pronounced apple aromas and flavors. It's great on the rocks, or combined with Martinelli sparkling apple cider. My wife also cooks with it.

The eight-year-old ($40.45) is serious stuff, and worthy competition for Calvados.

I gotta put in a plug for Oregon's own, Clear Creek.

Their apple brandy comes in two age choices. The two-year-old (OR price $25.45) is very fresh, with pronounced apple aromas and flavors. It's great on the rocks, or combined with Martinelli sparkling apple cider. My wife also cooks with it.

The eight-year-old ($40.45) is serious stuff, and worthy competition for Calvados.

I love Clear Creeks products. Had a great time there when I visited.

the problem with Laird's true Apple product there is good looking finding it. I've never seen it ANYwhere.

• 1 month later...

I just tried Starlight's AppleJack, not too bad but nothing to rave over. Like Chuck said it did not have a very apple character but it was smooth, what really aggravated me mostly is they used a wine cork to seal the bottle and it is a pain to put back in and keep in my cabinet, I know whiner but hey it's a valid gripe.

• 3 months later...

I got myself a bottle of Tom's Foolery Applejack a little while ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. It didn't remind me much of calvados, which I have also had. I got a lot more apple in the nose of this spirit than in the actual taste, but maybe that was just me.

• 2 months later...

Apparently Tom's Foolery just released their second batch of AppleJack to the state warehouse. This time it looks to be sealed with gold wax instead of red, at least judging by the pictures. They are also going to start distilling bourbon soon, as they just upgraded or are in the process of upgrading their equipment.

Apparently Tom's Foolery just released their second batch of AppleJack to the state warehouse. This time it looks to be sealed with gold wax instead of red, at least judging by the pictures. They are also going to start distilling bourbon soon, as they just upgraded or are in the process of upgrading their equipment.

Are there blue wax and gold foil expressions in the works too?:lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.