mellow corn expanding is distribution area?

tmckenzie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As good as Mellow Corn is, it was interesting to compare it to Platte Valley, which is the only aged corn whiskey that I can get locally (3 years old, 80 proof). The younger product actually has more going on, flavor wise. Too bad it's only 80 proof. Also, at least in the Twin Cities, Platte Valley is priced almost double what Mellow Corn goes for at TPS. Of course you're paying for the ceramic jug....

And Platte Valley is HH/BF juice. HH never claimed it was the only company that made corn. The claim was that its corn, sold by it and others, was the only corn whiskey sold as corn whiskey until the micros came along. Other people made corn whiskey, but only for use in blends. HH made (or had BF make) corn, sold it under its own brands, and sold it to people like McCormick (Platte Valley) for their products.

After Glenmore acquired Medley, that became their only operating distillery, and they did make corn whiskey there. After UDV (now Diageo) bought Glenmore, they sold off a lot of brands including the corns, most of which went to Heaven Hill. That's when HH's reign as the only company making and selling corn whiskey began.

I stand corrected. The bottle I have is DSP-31 all the way.

So you've got a bottle of "Old Heaven Hill" Mellow Corn?? It would be fascinating to hear a tasting comparison with the B-F make version.

Should we assume that they have been sourcing this since the fire, or is it more recent? Not that I really care, I guess. It is good stuff either way.

If the pattern is the same as the rye, they've been sourcing it since the fire but probably brought it back in house, as they did the rye, about 2 1/2 years ago. I'm not sure if DSP-354 is making anything for them now, since they have sufficient capacity at Bernheim since the expansion.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.