Booker Noe-shows us what country is all about...

boone
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bobby mentions Booker and his country hams in another forum...Here is one (of many) articles written about his curing hams...

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

post-20-14489811142169_thumb.jpg

You do us proud, BettyeJo. The recipe for biscuits you posted is the one I use. Now the fun part, if you have Sally VanWinkle Campbells book " But Always Fine Bourbon" turn to page 111 and read the margin or flip over to 112 and read the text. It seems a certain lady by the name of Dirty Helen has an idea of how best to enjoy these beaten biscuits and some of Ol' Booker's Country Hams. I wouldn't suggest any particular Bourbon here , I don't think you can do it wrong! grin.gif

Wow...a MAN that cooks...a novelty around my home...Pat can do most anything but cook...It just ain't there wink.gif

Next time ya visit...I will supply the country ham....and...will ya make the biscuits? shocked.gif ...

When I was growing up we had a huge garden...We canned and canned and canned so there would be vegetables throughout the winter...We raised Hogs...We (the entire family) have cured many, many hams...(We used sugar and salt)...and when one of em was shocked.gif rotten. shocked.gif ..you knew exactly where it was......

Still, to this day my daddy (on holiday's) will stuff and cook a country ham...It's a family tradition...Stuffed with greens and onions...

I came from a large family...That's just what you did to feed the entire family...Hell, they don't call me Little Jo Oakley for nothin' laugh.gif...We always killed hogs on the first "cold" Saturday in November... Ya gotta aim straight between the eyes...don't breathe...No pain...instant drop...

Today, I could not do that...Hell, it bothers me to run over a oppossum accidentally...

Hey, when it comes to cooking I do 99% of the cooking. Stacy doesn't complain and oddly enough, neither do I. smile.gif I actually enjoy it. Thanks for posting those articles Bettye Jo, they were fun to read. I have to admit though I kinda shrugged at the part where it was mentioned 'scrubbing off the mold'. grin.gif

-->Mark R.

When you come to the bourbon festival (this year) make sure you stop by Keene's depot...They have some of the best country ham sandwich's around...

Yep I can cook fairly well too (its about 60-40% in Jessica's favor cooking around here, just cause she does it even better than I. . .) as longs as it doesnt get too complicated. . .

Tom ( grin.gif 1100!!! cool.gif ) C

Haha, I don't mind a complicated meal... I actually like them more complicated sometimes, a challenge. It's the cleanup after the complicated ones that I hate ! grin.gif

--> Mark R.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

It's the cleanup after the complicated ones that I hate !

Hey JoBettye!!

Sup? Haven't talked to ya lately, hope all is well.

I loved the recipes. What I really want to hear about is the 'stuffing':

Still, to this day my daddy (on holiday's) will stuff and cook a country ham...It's a family tradition...Stuffed with greens and onions...

Hi Brenda!

I will get the complete directions from my daddy when they get back...They (mom and daddy) are harder to keep up with than a teenager...Hell, they are all over this country grin.gif

I will tell you this...you need plenty of hands...strong one's at that...When ya cut the X's to insert the stuffing you drive it clear to the bone...Let me tell ya...it's very difficut!!!!

Later,

• 1 month later...

My daddy made his usual Stuffed Country Ham for Easter...

Brenda made a video of him Stuffing the country ham last Thursday... grin.gif We had a good time grin.gif ...When she finishes...she will let everyone know the entire process on how to do "OUR" family tradition...

In the meantime...here is a picture of it...that's my daddy's strong hand...many years as a carpenter has lead to the bumpyness of that hand grin.gif ...Strong in body and in mind...I am very fortunate...He was diagnosed with cancer 3 years ago tongue.gif ...but he beat it grin.gifgrin.gif He is now...CANCER FREE grin.gifgrin.gif

post-20-14489811175139_thumb.jpg

That looks good. I could have a batch of biscuits done in about 16 minutes! grin.gif

• 1 month later...

Bettye Jo,

Brenda made a video of him Stuffing the country ham last Thursday... We had a good time ...When she finishes...she will let everyone know the entire process on how to do "OUR" family tradition...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.