What is your favorite year for Evan Williams Single barrel?

trumpstylz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What Paddy said.  Also, what has been said about the HMcK 10 yr BIB.  I used to buy one bottle of each vintage of EWSB when it came out; if I liked it, I'd go back and pick up a duplicate or two of the same barrel.  Over time, I gravitated to Bonded and even higher proofs as I got better at adding my own water to find the sweet spot for me and stopped buying the EWSBs regularly.  I am pleased that the EWSBs are still being offered as they are what I recommend to bourbon geeks who are "ready" to move on from Blanton's/WR/Maker's/pick something and to learn about the differences between bourbons even within a brand.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

The oldest vintages I've opened are 2002 and they've all been excellent, as have all the 2003 equally.  I've had some excellent 2006 and 2004, but the worst one I've opened was a 2004 (different barrel of course).  Barrel variation is real with this sku, so beware of the odd funky barrel (same goes for HMcK10). I have several 2005 I've never gotten around to cracking yet. The oldest vintage I own is a 1999 dusty I picked up some time ago, but I haven't opened it yet since I only have one.

I've tried some 2007 or 2008 at bars a few times and was disappointed each time.  So I don't buy this one anymore.  I guess I may regret breaking the string some day since they look pretty cool lined up on the shelf, but I have so much great bourbon to consume, I don't see much value in buying something just to look at anymore.

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

The oldest vintages I've opened are 2002 and they've all been excellent, as have all the 2003 equally.  I've had some excellent 2006 and 2004, but the worst one I've opened was a 2004 (different barrel of course).  Barrel variation is real with this sku, so beware of the odd funky barrel (same goes for HMcK10). I have several 2005 I've never gotten around to cracking yet. The oldest vintage I own is a 1999 dusty I picked up some time ago, but I haven't opened it yet since I only have one.

I've tried some 2007 or 2008 at bars a few times and was disappointed each time.  So I don't buy this one anymore.  I guess I may regret breaking the string some day since they look pretty cool lined up on the shelf, but I have so much great bourbon to consume, I don't see much value in buying something just to look at anymore.

There comes a day when a guy realizes there are far less days ahead of him than there are behind.  That effectively turns one from "Collector" to "Consumer" ;)

• I like it 6

On 4/18/2018 at 5:13 AM, Cranecreek said:

There comes a day when a guy realizes there are far less days ahead of him than there are behind.  That effectively turns one from "Collector" to "Consumer" ;)

Lots of truth to this. I would be hunter for food the way I buy to drink. There's no good sport in trapping a bourbon if not for drinking.

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, Dannabis said:

There's no good sport in trapping a bourbon if not for drinking.

I like that sentiment!

• I like it 1

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:13 AM, Cranecreek said:

What are you insinuating about my age?  Haha JK, I resemble that remark! :P

• I like it 1

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:37 PM, Kepler said:

All this talk about EWSB made me want to crack this.  Good choice!

WIN_20180422_011442.JPG

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, Kepler said:

All this talk about EWSB made me want to crack this.  Good choice!

WIN_20180422_011442.JPG

You know what Kepler, I think thats a great idea. So I think I will join you.

EWSB.thumb.jpg.990b3f90cd60a85ab76e9342795eee50.jpg

Here's to the EWSB 's !

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.