Jacquin's Rock and Rye

ethangsmith
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not a straight rye, but Jacquin's Rock and Rye is a pretty interesting product. I kept seeing it lurking on the shelf of my local state store and decided to buy a bottle. It's actually really good stuff. I've done some reading online and it seems it historically was rye whiskey that rock candy (and occasionally fruit) was added to to take away some of the bitter/sourness. I had some straight to get the flavor of it by itself and it seems like it would mix perfectly into 7up or would be great to drink straight when you have a cold or flu. Are there any other Rock and Rye fans or am I going to be a loner on this one?

As a side note, any idea who's rye is going into this stuff???

I have some, Jacquin's and Hiram Walker's brand. It is so sweet I find it blends well with any bourbon or of course rye, 50/50 is about right for me.

Gary

I remember seeing Jacquin's Rock and Rye on my father's bar when I was a small child back in the early sixties. What always caught my eye was the fruit in the bottom of the bottle. Fast forward forty years later: last summer I spied a bottle in my local liquor store, a small family-run business that's been in the community for decades. I asked the owner if he had ever tasted the JRR and he told me that it was too sweet for his liking but that it makes a good mixer. I ended up buying the bottle (which was probably a true "dusty," as it looked as if it had been on the shelf for an eternity). I actually enjoyed the flavor straight up, though it is quite sweet and some folks may find it hard to take for that reason. But, as you said, it is a wonderful winter drink when you are not feeling well--just mix with some boiling hot water and you're good to go! I plan on researching the brand, now that you've brought it up. I believe it originated in Philadelphia in the late 1800's but don't quote me on that.

I tried to do some on-line research about them the other day. I didn't find much, although they are a very old company. They seem to be associated with Chatham Imports, which is the outfit selling the new Michters's.

I seem to recall that they are or were New Orleans-based, is it possible Chatham bought the company or brands in recent years?

Gary

Interesting association of companies there if that is true. Any idea of the source of the rye in the Rock and Rye? I would assume it's probably HH or Beam or something since Jacquin's doesn't distill whiskey.

I seem to recall that they are or were New Orleans-based, is it possible Chatham bought the company or brands in recent years?

Gary

I did all sorts of Google searches and was surprised at how little information can be found regarding Jacquin's Rock & Rye. I did come across one guy's recent auction of an older bottle that reportedly said on the label: "Made and bottled by Charles Jacquin et Cie, Inc. Philadelphia, PA, EST 1884" and the seller indicated the bottle was from the 1950s. So now I'd like to get to the bottom of this mystery. The name sounds French and the very nature of the drink smacks of New Orleans but what little info I can find keeps pointing back to Philadelphia. Strange!

ALL Jacquin's products I have or have seen in the PA "state stores" are all from "Phila, PA." A few months ago in one of the "Wine And Spirits Quarterly" magazines published by the PLCB there was an ad where Jacquin's was advertising their flavored vodkas as only available in their home state of Pennsylvania. They list an address online on a business directory as 2633 Trenton Ave. Philadelphia, PA. Seems to be a bit of a mysterious company as of late.

A google street view of that address shows several buildings with the name Jacquin's on them. I also found a handful of other photos from the last 50 years showing Jacquin's at the same location and with the same lettering on the buildings.

Well, it appears I didn't recollect correctly regarding New Orleans or changing hands. Following the leads provided by Ethan it appears to be a family based enterprise in Philadelphia, operating since the 1880's, and has some international holdings including a distillery in Poland which makes Pravda - a favourite of this household as it happens!

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm battling influenza right now so I was able to do my first test of JRR on a sore throat and congested chest. It worked miracles! It soothed my sore throat and seemed to break up a little of my head and chest congestion! I would HIGHLY recommend this product if you have a cold or flu!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.