Wild Turkey Shot Glass

bluesbassdad
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Early in my SB.com days, and before the financial storm clouds loomed so ominously over the B'B'D household, I splurged on a purchase of mainly frivolous Wild Turkey goods from the Wild Turkey Store .

Besides the steak sauce, the hat, the tee-shirts, and the ballpoint pen, I also bought something that I have found to be of lasting value, a pair of Wild Turkey shot glasses .

Now I'm not a connoisseur of glassware, but I have developed a fondness for these glasses, even though one of them has a noticeable flaw -- a speck of some dark material embedded deep within the glass. I like their look, and I like their hefty feel in my hand. However, I would choose a different glass if I were trying to concentrate the aroma of bourbon for serious nosing.

This glass features the familiar turkey profile and the brand name, both etched into the side of the glass. I presume that the markings would hold up to repeated trips through the dishwasher.

The interior bottom tapers to a truncated cone, as does the exterior bottom. When the glass is full, viewed from the side it appears as though both the interior space and the exterior space are filled with bourbon. The glass is fluted around the bottom, 14 flutes, about 3/4 of an inch high.

Today I finally got around to measuring the capacity of this glass, which I had always suspected is well in excess of of the one and a half ounces claimed in the description on the website. I carefully measured two ounces of WT101 in a measuring cup and then poured it into the glass. The bourbon came to within 1/4 inch of the rim, exactly even with the top of the turkey's head. A little precarious, perhaps, but I carried it to the computer room with no spillage -- I make the capacity to be a full two ounces.

Perhaps someday I will calibrate the glass for a quantity that approximates a bar shot.

Call me juvenile if you wish, but there's something very appealing to me about drinking my favorite everyday bourbon from an appropriately labeled glass.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

> Call me juvenile if you wish, but there's something very appealing

> to me about drinking my favorite everyday bourbon from an appropriately

> labeled glass.

I can tell you right now that Guiness DEFINITELY tastes better out

of a Guiness glass.

Tim

Well, I have a Jim Beam snifter. Does that mean JBW will taste better? shocked.gif

Actually, it was my first snifter. I bought it this past summer after going to the Jim Beam Distillery. I had a sample of Bakers. It was the first time I had tried a snifter. I liked the snifter so much, I bought one in the gift store.

The next day, I decided that one snifter wasn't enough, so I bought 8 brandy snifters at a dept store. I then gave the JB snifter to my father-in-law. smile.gif

I think some of these items are great values and are neat to collect. I have various tumblers and a few shot glasses. 4 Roses , Ky Gentleman , Wild Turkey , EWSB , a few HH shot glasses( Thanks, you know who you are) Taken as a whole I guess it represents a little of an outlay , but each piece by itself wasn't too costly. grin.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

I bought it this past summer after going to the Jim Beam Distillery.

My parents have a bunch of stuff at home, some of them wedding gifts back from 1960. They still have the unadorned Old Hickory glasses, though I haven't seen the gold-rimmed Old Fitzgerald glasses lately. Guess I'll have to go hunting for them next time I visit.

Back then, these glasses may have seemed normal, even run of the mill. Who knows? The things you collect today may seem cool and unusual to your kids down the road.

• 4 weeks later...

Those Four Roses Old Fashioned Glasses with the roses in the base were VERY stylish. One of my few regrets from last years fesival was not getting one myself. I will have to rectify that this time around.

TomC

Tom,

Funny you should mention the Four Roses glasses. There is a division of property in my house. My stuff usually gets relegated to a closet or cabinet, usually the most inconvenient spot. Somehow the Four Roses glasses from the festival ended up prominently displayed on a table in the Foyer. I commented about my glasses being there and Patty said, "Your Glasses?" Hmmmm? Suddenly the glasses are hers. Linn, any advice??? confused.gifconfused.gif

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Suddenly the glasses are hers. Linn, any advice?

• 2 weeks later...

I know this thread is a month old, but I finally felt the need to add my 2 cents.

I have a nice set of modern, heavy bottom on-the-rocks glasses that I never use. Instead, I prefer my freebie OTR glasses from Knob Creek, Evan Williams Single Barrel and the Oscar Getz Museum. I prefer them because they are smaller and lighter. I also occassionally use the nosing glasses from Whiskeyfest or a snifter, when I want that experience, but most of the time it's the KC/EWSB/OG OTRs.

Chuck,

I think I'm with you on this one. I have the freebie EWSB glasses that you mentioned. I find them easier to handle than the heavy-bottomed Rare Breed OTR glasses that I just recently took out of the box.

The RB glass requires a conscious effort to hold securely, especially when there's condensation on the outside and I'm on my second or third drink. I always slide my little finger under the glass for added security.

With the EWSB glass I just pick it up and drink.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I enjoy the EWSB glasses a lot, but something about the RB glass just draws me to it. I guess I prefer a heftier glass. You know you have a drink in your hand when you have one of these! Although I have been fooled into thinking that I have some remaining in my glass because of the weight frown.gif

I like those heavy RB glasses. Something about that weight makes you feel like SOMEBODY! However, as far as being a bit more of a challange to hold, this is very true. Don't know how long they'll last. Then it'll be on the the EWSB back ups, I suppose (which certainly do the job well).

Mark

http://jazztrpt.freeservers.com

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.