C.A.O. L'Anniversaire Extreme

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone tried one of these? I won 2 lots of 5 on Cigarbid.com . Churchill sized and dark maduro wrapper make for a full-bodied smoke. Not really happy with this one though. VERY tight draw and is burning pretty uneven with a slight bitter taste. I really enjoyed a regular C.A.O L'Anniversaire that I had a couple of months ago, too bad about these. If anyone wants one I'll send it to you, as I have 9 more that I won't smoke frown.gif . At least I have my WT12yo to make it all better smirk.gif

Dang these ceegar names are complicated. confused.gif Don't any of them start with "Old"? smirk.gif Old Cohiba? Old Montecristo?

P.S. My wife makes cigar box purses. She recently bought a bunch of boxes off Ebay. One of them is a Montecristo Serie V (yes, that is the way it is spelled), 25 Mini Churchhill 48 x 5, Vintage 97. It doesn't have a "Made in" label on it. A superb box - very nicely done - much more than any other box I have seen. Any chance this box came from Cuba? If so, I'll tell her to charge more for the purse she makes of it. grin.gif

Sounds like it needs some rest time in a humidor at about 65% RH. I have smoked several of these and have never had a tight draw nor a bitter taste. I usually put anything I buy to sleep for a few months to a year before I smoke em though. The Coolidor comes in handy for this.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Jeff,

I agree with Steve that your CAO's need to be aged in a humidor for a year. As I understand it most cigars go through a 'sick period' and aging is the only solution.

Linn

Maybe you all are right, but I have had them at 72% humidity for about 3 months now. They didn't feel stiff or dry to the touch. Maybe I have just been corrupted by the memory of the Opus X crazy.gif

Most cigar companies age their cigars at least 21 days, but most leave them in their aging room 90-180 days to allow the tobacco blend to "marry". That being said the "Period of Sickness" is defined as...A time when cigars should not be smoked...Fresh cigars are fine, as well as aged ones, but cigars between 3 months old and a year old should be avoided. tongue.gif However, no reputable cigar company would distribute a cigar that wasn't already fit to smoke when you purchased it. I like to age mine a little longer myself, and unfortunately have smoked some that were "not right" mad.gif See ya, H'wood cool.gif

I used to keep my smokes at 70 to 73 % RH until by accident I discovered a different world of taste if they are conditioned at around 65%. Sometimes it is wise to dry box what you are planing on smoking a day or two in advance to ease that humidity on down. I dry box in the winter but cant do it in the summer months.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Jeff,Send me some (or all) of them and I'll see if I can nurse them back to health. I smoked a CAO Brazilia that I thought was pretty good. I've got an Anniversery that looks like a big fat carpenter's pencil. Instead of smoking it I reach for the Skill saw and a suqare. Maybe what we need is a few 'Rusty Nails'. - Linn blush.gifshocked.gifooo.gifgrin.gif

• 8 months later...

I have found the entire CAO line to have some of the easiest draws of any brand. I second the motion for aging your cigars in the humi at least a couple weeks before trying to light them up.

The CAO Extreme sure is a powerful stick! Definitely a full-bodied smoke, guaranteed to give your mouth a kick of pepper. I sure enjoyed the Extremes I've smoked, but it's probably a little stronger than what I prefer most of the time. However, every once in a while I go looking for that "Kick yo ass" cigar.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.