Wistlepig rye!

ThomasH
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I would suspect that most non-Canadians have had few encounters with good quality Canadian whisky so they don't have a basis to define what a better quality CW is or could be. My take for years was they were all like the base offerings by Seagram's or CC which you typically ran into at buiness events, weddings, etc. When I was introduced to the CR Cask 16 I walked away with a much better appreciation of what Canadian whiskey could be....

CR Special Reserve too is in a superior class IMO. One of the best recently is the pot still-heavy Wiser's Legacy which has a rich peppermint-like flavor. Still Canadian in style (I don't think new charred barrels are used) but quite different than any Wiser's product from before.

Gary

I still like George Dickel, even though it comes from Tennessee.

You bet! George Dickel 12 is one of my favorites. I always have it on hand.

Ok... I'm not a fan of Canadian whiskey. I find nothing special about the vaunted Crown Royal. What should I try that might sway my opinion of Canadian whiskey... that I can buy in Ohio?

Forty Creek is now on the regular state list.

What's the story about Pendleton?

Crown Royal Cask 16?

Wiser's 18 is on the special order list.

If I'm intrigued by the flavor, as I am with WhistlePig, then I'll have to be in the camp of 'not caring where it was distilled, bottled, labeled, etc.'

This is a fascinating spirit, and will only have NEAT.

wpigrye.jpg

Here are the relevant numbers for 2010, from today's DISCUS report:

American Blended Whiskey -- 5.398 million cases

Bourbon & Tennessee Whiskey -- 15.443 million cases

(20.841 million cases)

Canadian Whisky -- 15.809 million cases

This is U.S. sales only.

So if you just compare Canadian to Bourbon/Tennessee, Canadian wins narrowly, but if you include American blended whiskey, so it's all American-made whiskey versus all Canadian-made whiskey, then American wins by a mile.

USA! USA! USA!

I can't help but join in an old fashioned USA chant...

USA! USA! USA! :usflag:

However, it is still kind of disappointing/embarrassing that the "official" spirit of the United States is outsold by Candian Whiskey here in the USA. I don't even want to see the Scotch numbers...

Ebo, try some Canadian Club 10yr. It is my favorite hands down. They have it in every liquor store in Stark county. It runs about 15.95 a 750!

Thomas

You might be pleasantly surprised by the scotch numbers. Here's the whole whiskey table.

Bourbon & Tennessee --15.443 million cases

(All American -- 20.841 million cases)

Canadian -- 15.809 million cases

Blended Scotch -- 7,774 million cases

Single Malt Scotch -- 1,281 million cases

(All Scotch -- 9.055 million cases)

Irish -- 1,387 million cases

The DISCUS report also confirms what many have subjectively noticed this past year with the super premium segment in Bourbon and Tennessee whiskey revenues increasing by 17% to 161 million. Most notably evident in this area I'd say by PVW 15, BTAC and MM 46 making for empty shelf space within days.

Most notably evident in this area I'd say by PVW 15, BTAC and MM 46 making for empty shelf space within days.

Are you hoarding again, T?:lol:

You might be pleasantly surprised by the scotch numbers. Here's the whole whiskey table.

I'll be damned :grin:

You might be pleasantly surprised by the scotch numbers. Here's the whole whiskey table....

Total whiskey: 47.093 million cases

Vodka: 59.391 million cases

No surprise there, pleasant or otherwise.

I'll be damned. Pleasantly surprised indeed, Chuck. Thanks for posting those.

Just a few comments:

- Shelter Point distillery will soon release a 5 or 6 year old rye in the image of WhistlePig.

- Seagram's 7 is NOT Canadian whisky it is American whisky made in the USA.

- There is no GNS in Canadian whisky. Ever. American blended whisky may be up to 80% GNS. That's where the confusion comes from.

In Canada we don't call our whisky blended. By a 200 year old tradition we call it rye or Canadian whisky. I have an explanation of this up on my site right now.

I have tasted the raw base whisky from every distillery in Canada and NONE of them are neutral, despite the distillers calling them that. Some are very flavourful even as new make.

- The 9.09% is a measure to give Canada an even footing with American blended whisky in the U.S. market. We get a great U.S. tax break by including some American spirits or other spirits that get a tax break in the U.S. On $500 million in sales to the U.S. this makes a huge difference.

- Although the labels may look the same sometimes the 9.09% blenders are left out of the Canadian version of the same whisky. Most exports to the U.S. rarely include the full 9.09% either, by the way.

Just a few comments:

- Shelter Point distillery will soon release a 5 or 6 year old rye in the image of WhistlePig.

- Seagram's 7 is NOT Canadian whisky it is American whisky made in the USA.

- There is no GNS in Canadian whisky. Ever. American blended whisky may be up to 80% GNS. That's where the confusion comes from.

In Canada we don't call our whisky blended. By a 200 year old tradition we call it rye or Canadian whisky. I have an explanation of this up on my site right now.

I have tasted the raw base whisky from every distillery in Canada and NONE of them are neutral, despite the distillers calling them that. Some are very flavourful even as new make.

- The 9.09% is a measure to give Canada an even footing with American blended whisky in the U.S. market. We get a great U.S. tax break by including some American spirits or other spirits that get a tax break in the U.S. On $500 million in sales to the U.S. this makes a huge difference.

- Although the labels may look the same sometimes the 9.09% blenders are left out of the Canadian version of the same whisky. Most exports to the U.S. rarely include the full 9.09% either, by the way.

Anybody gotta problem widdat?..................Huh?.......Anybody?................Well, I'll toast our Northern Neighbor's fine whiskey with a small pour of Bush Pilot's. Welcome, D.

:toast:

"There is no GNS in Canadian whisky. Ever." Good to know, thanks.

Welcome to the site and great post. You neglected to list your site on your profile so where is it?

Well, I'll toast our Northern Neighbor's fine whiskey with a small pour of Bush Pilot's.

Ahh, a taste of the good old days ehh Joe?

Now that's what I call a first post!

You the man, D.

Gee Chuck, I'm blushing. Thanks.

I have followed this board for several years and finally figured out how to join last year some time. There is a lot of good information here about Canadian whisky along with a little bit of understandable misinformation. Among many others, I particularly enjoy Gillman's CW posts.

I didn't leave a link to my site as I get bored reading posts and comments (elsewhere) that seem intended only to troll for hits. Thanks DBK for pointing people to it.

I have had a review of Bush Pilot's in the queue for some time now but it keeps getting bumped. Currently it is scheduled for Feb 14. Bushido turned me onto this some years ago. I was a big fan of his Canadian whisky site, "Beauty Eh?", and a bit sad that being ahead of his time it didn't catch on.

Thanks guys for the warm welcome.

Now back to lurking.

Davin

I didn't leave a link to my site as I get bored reading posts and comments (elsewhere) that seem intended only to troll for hits. Thanks DBK for pointing people to it.

I have had a review of Bush Pilot's in the queue for some time now but it keeps getting bumped. Currently it is scheduled for Feb 14. Bushido turned me onto this some years ago. I was a big fan of his Canadian whisky site, "Beauty Eh?", and a bit sad that being ahead of his time it didn't catch on.

Davin

I've got my one and only Bush Pilot's unopened in the bunker so I look forward to your review. I've enjoyed your site. Welcome aboard.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.