Wistlepig rye!

ThomasH
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

- The 9.09% is a measure to give Canada an even footing with American blended whisky in the U.S. market. We get a great U.S. tax break by including some American spirits or other spirits that get a tax break in the U.S. On $500 million in sales to the U.S. this makes a huge difference.

- Although the labels may look the same sometimes the 9.09% blenders are left out of the Canadian version of the same whisky. Most exports to the U.S. rarely include the full 9.09% either, by the way.

Great info Davin.

Do you know if the regs describing the cans/can'ts for exported whiskey are available anywhere online?

Refresh me on bush pilot. Was it an unblended whiskey such as lot 40 or whistlepig?

I checked the label on one of mine and the label describes it as "unblended single cask Canadian Whisky" 13 yrs old - this particular one was bottled in '93. The color is very light so I'm guessing the barrel was either previously used, uncharred or toased.

If memory serves there isn't much similarity between it and Whistle Pig as far as taste.

I picked up a pair of Bush Pilot along with a couple of Lot 40s and was impressed by both. By the time I got around to replacing them they were no longer available.

Great info Davin.

Do you know if the regs describing the cans/can'ts for exported whiskey are available anywhere online?

You would have to check the regs in each importing country and various trade agreements as well.

Essentially, and as I recall from memory, it has to meet the definitions in the country of origin and the country it is exported to.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just never impressed with Canadian whiskey like the way I am with straight bourbon or rye. First off what does "blended" mean anyway? I always thought it ment taking "straight" whiskey and "blending" it with GNS. Anyways I dont really care if I offend anyone infatuated with Canadian juice cuz this is a bourbon n' rye forum anyway! Ok I admit I haven't really tasted much of the finer canadiens, but I'm often bored with low proof, light colored, or high priced gimmick packaging with no good reason behind the price tag. I'll try the whistlepig however, because it's essentially an American. Straight rye with an age statement and NOT 80 proof. This is what WE like about OUR whiskey!

God bless America

I'm just never impressed with Canadian whiskey like the way I am with straight bourbon or rye. First off what does "blended" mean anyway? I always thought it ment taking "straight" whiskey and "blending" it with GNS. Anyways I dont really care if I offend anyone infatuated with Canadian juice cuz this is a bourbon n' rye forum anyway! Ok I admit I haven't really tasted much of the finer canadiens, but I'm often bored with low proof, light colored, or high priced gimmick packaging with no good reason behind the price tag. I'll try the whistlepig however, because it's essentially an American. Straight rye with an age statement and NOT 80 proof. This is what WE like about OUR whiskey!

God bless America

Interesting post, SWR. Short, and....pointless. :rolleyes:

God bless America

As Davin pointed out in this very thread, "blended" Canadian whisky does not contain GNS—Canadians don't even use the label "blended" for their whisky in domestic markets. Moreover, as he pointed out elsewhere to me (see the comments section), Canadians historically made bourbon, and still make use of many of the same methods, including "bourbon" mashes and new charred oak, to this day. And as for the argument that "This what WE like about OUR whiskey," the recent DISCUS figures would argue otherwise: Americans seem more than happy to drink the Canadian whisky you deride alongside American whiskey.

In any case, if you enjoy sucking back that WhistlePig—and it is indeed very good stuff—know that this is just the Canadian version of a Trojan horse. You will soon be voting for universal Medicare, higher taxes, and stricter gun laws. That's how we get you.

Oh, and God save the Queen.

God bless America

You have to know some history that is now more than a century old to understand the importance of words like "blended" and "straight" in the whiskey lexicon, as well as what those words actually mean. This knowledge is not obscure but you do have to make the effort to learn it. You also have to care if you come across on line as a moron or not. This just reflects the diversity of humanity, as it "it takes all kinds."

Chuck,

As you know, someone has to come across as an idiot on-line and I resent this neophyte Johnny Come Lately trouncing around in my domain.

It's gonna take a lot more than simple derision of our Northern Neighbors and insulting their products to take that away from me.

Consider this the throwing down of the cutlet!!

Thanks Chuck,

I appreciate your support.

Like the memorable words of my hero, Lloyd Christmas.

Unfortunately, I forget them.

Don't forget that run down no good Crown Royal line of Canadian Whiskey that has some of the best bourbon going into it. Diageo has a way with these things.

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

WhistlePig (the original 10 yo bottling) seems to be getting a broader release. It was recently made available in Georgia and so I picked up a bottle based on the seemingly near universal aclaim for this rye (OK, that statement might be a little broad but it does seem to get good reviews!). I presume this is the same stuff that came out in 2010? The bottle appears to be the same. Perhaps they are sending out what is left in anticipation of the upcoming 11 and 12 yo ryes that are supposed to be coming (at higher prices naturally).

In any case I look forward to giving it a try myself.

Excellent product, very much a straight but in a lighter style than most U.S. rye I've had. The older whiskey, when released, should be even better.

Gary

Excellent product, very much a straight but in a lighter style than most U.S. rye I've had. The older whiskey, when released, should be even better.

Gary

Thanks. I look forward to trying it and comparing it to the Jefferson 10yo rye and perhaps even the Pendleton 1910 rye which I definitely find to be a bit lighter than others like the Saz and Willet ryes.

The Jefferson you mentioned is from the same source I understand, so it should be similar to Whistlepig. Not sure I recall the Pendleton, is that supposed to be from the same source too, i.e., a rye mash aged 10 years in new charred wood, or is it a more conventional Canadian whisky?

Gary

The Jefferson you mentioned is from the same source I understand, so it should be similar to Whistlepig. Not sure I recall the Pendleton, is that supposed to be from the same source too, i.e., a rye mash aged 10 years in new charred wood, or is it a more conventional Canadian whisky?

Gary

The Pendleton 1910 is a 12yo 100% Canadian rye bottled in Oregon by Hood River "Distillers" (I don't think they actually distill anything although as best as I can tell they don't claim to either other than the name) that is a bit handicapped by being bottled at 80 proof. But it is a nice clean light sipping rye to my palate. The source is not revealed but speculation I have seen from other sources is that it too comes from Alberta.

Decently priced in the mid $30's and a somewhat swanky looking bottle to boot.

Really like the WhistlePig, but the price tag keeps it from becoming a regular sipper. Recently tried WP, Jefferson's 10 and Mastertson's at one sitting. Undeniably similar, with the biggest difference (for me, anyway) being the proofs. I really like the Jefferson's 10...especially because you can buy two bottle of it for the price of one bottle of WP.

Really like the WhistlePig, but the price tag keeps it from becoming a regular sipper. Recently tried WP, Jefferson's 10 and Mastertson's at one sitting. Undeniably similar, with the biggest difference (for me, anyway) being the proofs. I really like the Jefferson's 10...especially because you can buy two bottle of it for the price of one bottle of WP.

I agree... the WhistlePig is better whiskey (better barrel selection from the same source?). But Jeff rye wins based on QPR.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.