Where to get a Glencairn?

Rotgut
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm interested in getting a cheap, basic Glencairn, maybe 2. What's generally recommended? Eventually I'll get a nice set (= sneak it past my wife) but right now I'm just looking for one - something as a starter that I don't have to worry too much about, can throw in the dishwasher, etc.

I searched around but didn't find much.

This thread (Bourbons that don't do well in Crystal) said:

If anyone looking for glass Glencairns, I know that http://www.scotchwhiskyglass.com/ still had some left that were etched with PORT ELLEN (call them to order, some Port Ellen may be crystal also), and http://www.cobhthaighceltique.com/ has 7 left that are painted with either a Harp or Scottish Thistle (scroll to the bottom of their Glencairn page, they are on clearance).

Any recommendations? Get the cheapest one on Amazon or E-bay? Get one from cobhthaighceltique.com? Buffalo Trace?

I don't know if there are different qualities or if a Glencairn is a Glencairn . I'd get a quality one to start if there is a difference.

Thanks,

Mike

They all seem to run a similar price no matter where you get it. $8-$10 a piece (both Glass and crystal)

The distillery I work at ordered about 1000 of them with our logo. I think we have them for $7.95. Call out there and see if they will ship some to you. I bought a 6 pack the day they came in, deffinitely worth it. Nice to have them around for when whisky friends come over.

Cedar Ridge

319-857-4300

I've got both Glencairn glasses and INAO glasses. It is amazing how the shape of the glass really does change the experience, at least for me. It may just be my imagination but I find that the Glencairn glasses make average whiskey "nose" better --taking the ethanol edge off of some--, while the INAO glasses give you a better idea of the spirit in its entirety, warts and all. Sometimes I use one over the other, but if I could only have one it would be the INAO glasses (and they were half the price of the Glencairn glasses too.)

Oh and first post here, how do you do.

Welcome to the forum, kbrighton & MaltNut.

The distillery I work at ordered about 1000 of them with our logo. I think we have them for $7.95. Call out there and see if they will ship some to you. I bought a 6 pack the day they came in, deffinitely worth it. Nice to have them around for when whisky friends come over.

Cedar Ridge

319-857-4300

Now I've got another product to look for next time I'm in Iowa.

I've got both Glencairn glasses and INAO glasses. It is amazing how the shape of the glass really does change the experience, at least for me. It may just be my imagination but I find that the Glencairn glasses make average whiskey "nose" better --taking the ethanol edge off of some--, while the INAO glasses give you a better idea of the spirit in its entirety, warts and all. Sometimes I use one over the other, but if I could only have one it would be the INAO glasses (and they were half the price of the Glencairn glasses too.)

Oh and first post here, how do you do.

And thanks to everyone for all the responses so far.

Mike

Some Scotches have seasonal promotions that have two free Glencairns in a box with the Whisky - sometimes the store has the glasses without the Whisky for a buck or two. In bigger stores always ask.

I know that I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the Riedel Ouverture Bourbon glass over the Glencairn.

They are usually more expensive and harder to find than the Glencairn nosing glass. I got a pair on sale for less than 20 bucks at Party Source so deals can be had on them.

I know that I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the Riedel Ouverture Bourbon glass over the Glencairn.

They are usually more expensive and harder to find than the Glencairn nosing glass. I got a pair on sale for less than 20 bucks at Party Source so deals can be had on them.

I'll join you in that minority, Scott. I occasionally drink from a Glencairn, but, I simply find it too....confining? Certainly, it concentrates nosing. Maybe, even too much for bourbon??? But, after that...not much for me. It doesn't help me corral all of the other sensory perceptions of the rest of the drink. I can't seem to...wallow (if that makes any sense) in the pour after that. :crazy: If I ever get to the point where I can't actually drink the whiskey in my glass, and must simply nose it, I may go to looking for more Glencairns.

Another thing about the Glencairns, is that when I hold them, I get this odd hankerin' to see how far I can throw it, and, how tight a spiral I can get! That weighted end, and the bulbous middle that gives a good grip..............Go Deep!!!! :)

Another thing about the Glencairns, is that when I hold them, I get this odd hankerin' to see how far I can throw it, and, how tight a spiral I can get! That weighted end, and the bulbous middle that gives a good grip..............Go Deep!!!! :)

When Glencairns go "missing" from the Gazebo, I think we will know where to look.

0003.gif

Just make sure it's empty when you throw it!

You might want to see if any of the stores near you have any of the Old Forester Repeal sets. The box has a 375 of the OF Repeal Bourbon, a commemorative scroll, and a glencairn glass. They can be found pretty cheap nowadays. I've seen them for as low as $10 or $12. Joe

You might want to see if any of the stores near you have any of the Old Forester Repeal sets. The box has a 375 of the OF Repeal Bourbon, a commemorative scroll, and a glencairn glass. They can be found pretty cheap nowadays. I've seen them for as low as $10 or $12. Joe

When we at the KBF Liquor World had them for $7.95 some guy bought all of them while we were there maybe 17 of them.

Keep an eye on Malt Advocate web site They sell their leftover Whiskyfest glencairns pretty cheap I got mine for $5 a piece a couple of years ago thanks John. I have picked up others else where like distilleries. I don't think Jim wants to mess with it but it would be cool if we had a SB.com one made up. But then no one would know who's glass is who's at the gazebo:slappin:

So I guess a Glencairn is a Glencairn, it's just a matter of finding one?

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Mike

So I guess a Glencairn is a Glencairn, it's just a matter of finding one?

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Mike

Check out a few liquor stores. My Binny's sells Glencairns at full retail, but Evanston First liquors (an independent) has a bunch etched "Lismore Single Malt" for $1.79 (and funny little Glencairn-shaped shot glasses etched "The GLenlivet" for 99¢) -c

Check out a few liquor stores. My Binny's sells Glencairns at full retail, but Evanston First liquors (an independent) has a bunch etched "Lismore Single Malt" for $1.79 (and funny little Glencairn-shaped shot glasses etched "The GLenlivet" for 99¢) -c

I've got a couple of those. The came with my Glenlivet 12 gift set that also included 50mL samples of the 15 and 18 year old.

I've been thinking of getting these as well for tastings and ditching my other glasses.

• 2 months later...

Be careful with those Glencairn-shaped shotglasses. The bases are rather narrow, making them kind of tippy.

Amazon.com has glass and crystal Glencairns at good prices.

My normal vessel is the round Four Roses glass from their tasting bar and the Samplers and my hi-falutin' glass is the Riedel Ouverture Bourbon Glass. I picked up a pair on sale at Liquor Barn and I prefer them over the Glencairn.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.