New favorite cocktail

bonneamie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My new favorite cocktail is very simple: pour some bourbon in a rocks glass (like the stuff my husband buys for me that I don't really like), add ice and a few drops of bitters. Stir and drink. It's quite tasty!

That is like a Pink Lady made with bourbon instead of gin.

Tim

I think a Pink Lady is grenadine and gin (egg white etc.., lemon variations, fizzes etc...). Angosutra bitters and gin is a "Pink Gin" cocktail, a crazy concoction done originally with Plymouth and bitters.

Pink gin is..... one of those real out there drinks I must say... :D

I think a Pink Lady is grenadine and gin (egg white etc.., lemon variations, fizzes etc...). Angosutra bitters and gin is a "Pink Gin" cocktail, a crazy concoction done originally with Plymouth and bitters.

I am sorry, you are correct. Pink Gin is what I meant, but I definitely said the wrong thing. At my age...

Tim

Good to hear the re-discovery of the oldest form of whiskey cocktail probably: whiskey-and-bitters. Sometimes sugar is added, but that's always optional. It is indeed a classic, I made one tonight inspired by this thread.

Gary

I remember the first time I had pink gin...

ok I take that back I really don't it was kind of a blur. :)

there is nothing that makes a good drink better sometimes than a dash of bitters. Bitters... the spice of cocktail seasoning!

I love orange bitters in my bourbon too!

Cheers!

Just a few dashes of bitters. I've been using Peychauds. And I wouldn't necessarily say it works best with a lighter bourbon, rather, with one that needs a flavor enhancer. There are many that don't!

To explain, my husband bought me a bourbon (mentioned in this thread) that I didn't really care for but also didn't want to hurt his feelings by ignoring. Perfect solution :grin:

I also wanted to bump the "nasty old fashioned" thread off the index. No offense, but I was tired of seeing that title.

I also wanted to bump the "nasty old fashioned" thread off the index. No offense, but I was tired of seeing that title.

Soooo tempting....:70358-devil:

Not half as tired as I am of seeing New Guy Doing a Nutty Taste Test.

Not half as tired as I am of seeing New Guy Doing a Nutty Taste Test.

Of course, you realize what I have to do now, don't you?

Of course, you realize what I have to do now, don't you?

Why bother? It gets bumped at least once a day anyway.

Don't you have anything better to do?

(yes, that was a rhetorical question :lol: )

Why bother? It gets bumped at least once a day anyway.

Don't you have anything better to do?

(yes, that was a rhetorical question :lol: )

While the baby is sleeping, not really. That floor will eventually sweep itself, I'm sure.

On a related note I just spent way too much time researching the Scheurbe grape today for a two paragraph blog entry.

On a related note I just spent way too much time researching the Scheurbe grape today for a two paragraph blog entry.

One local winery, High Pass, makes a fabulous dessert wine from that.

that sounds pretty delicious. friend gave me a bottle of plymouth recently... i may have to try this out!

now is it better with angostura, peychaud's or regan's orange? :D

that sounds pretty delicious. friend gave me a bottle of plymouth recently... i may have to try this out!

now is it better with angostura, peychaud's or regan's orange? :D

ha ha! my good man.

Plymouth is probably my go to gin, much from reading up on others but also in comparison with other London Drys. Simple, not too high in proof, stoney... soft... mineraly... I dig it.

Bitters... All that you mention have very different character. Angosotura, the classic... Manhattans.. it is what it is .. Peychaund... for the Sazerac... nothing but.. ah yes...

Orange bitters.. this is where it gets tricky... there are many "orange" bitters out there... Regan's ... can't go wrong... Angostura makes an "orange" bitters also, Fee brothers... okay... Scrappy's orange.. "GREAT" pricey though... if you want orange... start with Regans...

from there... you decide!

For your Plymouth gin... if you dare a pink gin cocktail... Angostura.. there is no substitution...

If you live to see the next morning off the high seas... well that my friend is another question entirely...

Cheers!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.