BOTM 2/11: Old Rip Van Winkle 10 yr 107 proof

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been working on another bottle of this over the last couple of months. This whiskey is, as the saying goes, "a conundrum wrapped in an enigma", to me. It bounces around on me every time I pour it. It goes from knee buckling delicious on Tuesday, to astringent and sink fodder on Wednesday. Now, I know the variances are my own whacked palate, but for some reason this bourbon takes full advantage of my palate schizophrenia, like no other brand.

At the end of the day, there's enough confusion in my world, as it is. Don't need a whiskey to further complicate things! :) And, at $44 a bottle, I'd just assume leave them for those who appreciate it's greatness on a more regular basis.

And, at $44 a bottle, I'd just assume leave them for those who appreciate it's greatness on a more regular basis.

• 2 weeks later...
The proofs on 10/107 and Pappy 15 are the same.

May have misinterpreted what I was refering to; Pappy 15 & ORVW 10-107 are higher proof than Pappy 20 & 23 and tend to have more "rich carmel flavor", due to the higher proof than either the 20 or 23, IMO. I know they're the same proof, given I have multiple bottles of each.

• 1 month later...
I got 11 Old Rip 10/107's bunkered so yes you can say I like it.

It's like carmelized toffee. I prefer it over the Pappy 15, 20 & 23.

I like the Old Rip 10/107 just as much as the 15. The 20 and 23 are just so different that they aren't comparable IMO. All are great, and for some reason I don't have a 10/107 open right now. I'm going to change that this afternoon. I think I have a dozen or so of them. ...

You know I'm starting to feel the same way and I'm talking about current bottles too.

A little late to this party as well, but I wanted to say that I LOVE ORVW 10/107! While it may not be the cheapest or easiest-to-find pour out there, it is a bargain any way you look at it. It is one of the bottlings I would point out as a standard to which other bourbons should aspire. OWA is a close second. While OWA is a favorite, I think ORVW is a little more rounded in character.

Opened a 10/107 2007... excellent pour with a huge vanilla extract palate. This expression really seems to change year to year... possibly batch to batch...

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was an amazing bourbon for the price - at Lee's here in Vegas it was only $34. I enjoyed it so much I bought several bottles to serve at my wedding reception. My wife wondered why I'd bought so many when we ended up with six bottles after it was all over. Why indeed . . .

Wow, what a lesson in how higher proof can really knock a weaker expression out of the park (i.e. ORVW 10/107 v ORVW 10/90).

It still pisses me off, a bit, to find this on the bottom shelf at Binny's, but at the same point, I'm sure it means I'm more likely to get some.

• 4 weeks later...

While searching for a special occasion bottle in the northern KY/Cincy area, I found some of the norhtern Ky kroger locations carry ORVW 10/107. $25.99!!!

• 10 months later...

I recently introduced ORVW10/107 to a friend who is beginning to get into Bourbon/whisk(e)y. He didn't know much about the Van Winkle family of expressions and I felt this was a good starting point. He will now join the countless others who try to procure a bottle of VW each year.

Blame me for adding more competition to the field of VW hunters but, it sure is fun to introduce someone to various good whiskey's. This is especially satisfying when all they've been exposed to is the lower shelf, mediocre products.

Seeing that "ah-ha" moment on my friends face after his first taste of ORVW10/107 was very rewarding for me and educational for him.

I bought a bottle a few weeks ago and I guess I'm still waiting for it to settle down. It's really forward in a slightly hot, almost medicinal way. The usual profile is under there, but it's struggling to break through.

I bought some Weller 12 last night and first pour out of the bottle was better than the pours I've had of this bottle of ORVW 10/107 I have. The W12 has maybe not quite as much going on, but it's thick and soft and really easy to drink.

I am wondering if I should top of the three or four pours of the ORVW with the W12. I know I should just be patient.

But I am just reminded again of how amazing W12 is. Under $22 out the door!

Parker,I just posted in another thread about the medicinal taste of this bourbon..To me it was not always this way..It was one of my favorites but now I struggle with the taste..I too will let it sit for a while the next time I have it,but my taste buds are struggling to find the taste I used to get with this particular bourbon..

I have found this bourbon to improve significantly after the bottle level getting near half and open for months. I have a 40% full bottle opened last fall that is now fantastic.

I have found this bourbon to improve significantly after the bottle level getting near half and open for months. I have a 40% full bottle opened last fall that is now fantastic.

I think I'm going to decant it.

That's strange, I tried to post this under a new thread and it didn't go through. Anyway, in case you didn't know, TPS released their spring allotment of the van Winkles online (the ones they didn't already sell a few weeks ago in-store). The Pappies are gone but a lot of the ORVWs and a few Lot Bs remain.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to post so late to this thread, but I have a question to ask. My dad was recently cleaning out some piece of furniture and found in the back a bottle of ORVW 10/107 in a paper/cardboard box and the label on the bottle says it was bottled in Lawrenceburg, Ky. Does anyone know the age of this bottle? How does this compare to the bourbon now bottled in Frankfort? Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

The Lawrenceburg bottle is from before 2002, which is when the Van Winkles entered into their current arrangement with Sazerac and moved to Frankfort. That bottle likely contains S-W juice.

• 3 months later...

Not so easy to get, but definitely my favorite pour. Always try to keep a few bunkered.

When I make posts about VW 10yr, 107 this is the bottle I'm talking about. Hope you and your Dad enjoy it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.