Containers for samples

cgbakerjr
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was curious where people buy containers to trade samples. Do you reuse the airplane size bottles, or can you buy 50 ml bottles at the liquor store? I have not actually looked at the Liquor Barn, so apologize for asking this if it's as simple as going there and buying some sample size glasses. I see that there are some online options but was wondering what the group does.

I usually keep any hip-flask sized bottles I purchase or receive as gifts to put samples in for people. Once I've consumed the contents, I give them a rinse and store them in a cupboard somewhere. They're usually about 200ml each, so they provide a fairly good sized sample.

I was curious where people buy containers to trade samples. Do you reuse the airplane size bottles, or can you buy 50 ml bottles at the liquor store? I have not actually looked at the Liquor Barn, so apologize for asking this if it's as simple as going there and buying some sample size glasses. I see that there are some online options but was wondering what the group does.

Good question. I just placed an order from Speciality Bottle here in Seattle and they were great. Here's what I bought:

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=48

I use those little plastic bottles they sell for taking liquids onto airplanes. Those bottles from Specialty Bottle look a lot nicer, and cost less.

Typically I have always used empty WT American Honey minis. I can often get them for $0.50 apiece, I throw them in the freezer when I want a bit of a change of pace, and then use the empties to send samples.

For a more formal sample, we have always used these:

http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin145.html

Although, CaptainQ's option looks a bit cheaper.

I have some of the same ones like CaptainQ listed. They work great. Joe

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Great thread, I ordered some bottles from speciality bottle and have been bottling away to get rid of a bunch of larger bottles.

Thanks again for the great info!

Joe

I'm glad I found this thread. I used some Nalgene bottles once and felt like they had some impact on the flavor. I know they are supposed to be neutral but I was not happy with them.

These are going to be the ones from now on.

I have always used the small bottles from a local pharmacy (my brother's).

He keeps glass and plastic. Anywhere from 30ml up. I mostly use the 60ml plastic brown ones.

Try your local pharmacist.

Monopalawa Vodka has some nice glass bottles for their minis with good caps. I use that and McCormick's Vodka minis has a nice sturdy plastic bottle with good caps. The vodka keeps the bottle sanitized and it does a nice job on the toilet when it's time to use the bottle for bourbon. Seriously though at $1.50 a 2 pack you get alcohol for the wife's coke and a sample bottle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.