Bulleit...Rye?

libertybar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If there's any chance some barrels of aged rye might have been mislaid I'll volunteer to help come look for them.

I reached out to my usually-responsive senior brand PR contact at Diageo ("The Big Galoot") a week ago and have heard nothing back. Am I now persona non? It wouldn't be the first time. I was banned at Beam for about ten years. A lot of people seem to be keeping their distance from me recently. Perhaps I need to bathe more.

Until Rittenhouse finds its way back to Dixie, I'll be drinking my Overholt and saving the rest of my money for more important things, like Cynar.

Holiday Package Store up on Buford Highway has the Rittenhouse BIB for $15, several bottles left. I just grabbed one a couple days ago (they also have a few six packs of Bell's Hopslam if you dig beer, it's great and VERY hard to find as most places sell out within an hour of arrival).

Quite a few retailers in the Milwaukee area are selling the just-released batch of RittBIB at $16.99. However, some have run out and are already back-ordering.:hot: :hot:

HH just can't keep up supply on this one.

Diageo has finally checked in and promised me a sample.

They'll probably delay as long as they can, since they know you'll write an honest opinion of the whiskey. It's not in their best interest for you to try it.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I picked up a bottle of Bulleit 95 because Atlanta has had a serious lack of rye options. I can consistantly get Old Overholt for <$10 or High west for >$50. Wild Turkey and Beam are also around on occasion but for me they don't make a great value proposition compared to Overholt which is always on the shelf. Well, the Bulleit also is no great value. This is certainly not knocking my socks off. Until Rittenhouse finds its way back to Dixie, I'll be drinking my Overholt and saving the rest of my money for more important things, like Cynar.

While the Rittenhouse BIB is hit or miss in Atlanta, I've had no problem finding the 80 proof when I've been there. Have you tried the Green's on Buford Highway, or the Tower on Cheshire Bridge?

Diageo has finally checked in and promised me a sample.

Is there any word on proposed distribution Chuck? Australia (as I understand it) is a strong market for Bulleit, and we are sorely lacking in Rye options.... At the moment Beam Rye has most of the market and Wild Turkey Rye has only just started making the shelves at a national level... I can imagine a third player would make good ground here if they were keen to enter the market.

Bulleit Rye will be on the April price list in Ohio, so we have not been left out of the LDI Ryeathon.

Bulleit Rye will be on the April price list in Ohio, so we have not been left out of the LDI Ryeathon.
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Did they say what the price is going to be?

I asked, but it is not settled until it hits the price list.

It's yet to appear on the OLCC list. I just checked new items for March, and it's not there, although I do find

JACK DANIEL'S TENNESSEE HO

:bigeyes:

I'm sure it's a truncation of honey, but it's fun to pretend it's not.

Just had a taste today. Based on the comments here I was expecting to hate it, but it is actually a pretty decent pour. Not my favorite Rye, but still better than Beam, Overholt and probably Ri1. I like Ritt better than Bulleit, but still a solid whiskey.

I get the LDI grassiness that I have picked up in other products from there, and while it is a bit young, that aspect doesn't throw off the balance.

I still don't have anything from Bulleit but I do have the Redemption and am looking forward to comparing them.

Holiday Package Store up on Buford Highway has the Rittenhouse BIB for $15, several bottles left. I just grabbed one a couple days ago (they also have a few six packs of Bell's Hopslam if you dig beer, it's great and VERY hard to find as most places sell out within an hour of arrival).

Thank you Biskuit. They indeed had inventory!

I'm a fan of the Bell's beer, so I may have to make a trip to Buford Highway tomorrow evening - I hope they haven't sold out!

Pricing on the April list is in the 22.00-23.00 range, tax included.

Price is around $21 locally. I've been busying enjoying the Abraham Bowman barrel-strength rye, so I haven't picked up any yet. I'm also waiting for reviews here cuz I can get Ritt BiB for the same price.

On an impulse I picked up a bottle a week or so ago. It was about $23, a little more than WT Rye. I'm not a big fan of the Bulleit bourbon so I had buyer's remorse on the way home but I've ended up liking the rye. I'm not as good as picking out and describing scents, flavors, etc. as lots of people here, but it was light and sweet. I kept thinking I was drinking WT Rye with a little more water than I'd normally add. When others describe a "grassy" flavor that hits me as sounding right.

I haven't seen much low- to mid-priced rye around - I'm lucky to find WT (always a couple in the bunker, though) and haven't seen Ritt BIB anywhere. JB and Overholt are everywhere but I don't like them. So if Bulleit gets a little distribution and the price stays where it is I'd have no problem keeping some around. Handles would be even better.

But I agree, $35/fifth is too much.

Mike

P.S. I don't usually care about the looks of bottles, labels, etc, but I think Bulleit bottles look cool.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.