Bulleit...Rye?

libertybar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The Bulleit Rye and the Redemption Rye are both LDI, very similar, and close to the same price, though the Bulleit is a little older and a little better, at least for straight sipping (the Redemption may be better for cocktails), and therefore the better buy. Probably more available too.

Coming to NH, soon I hope. 93 bottles listed as "on order" but not in stock yet.

$24.99. Not a fan of the Bulleit bourbon, hoping the rye is better.

Cheers!

No sign of it in MI yet. It would be the first LDI-distilled whiskey sold in Michigan, assuming the Bulleit bourbon doesn't contain any.

It would be the first LDI-distilled whiskey sold in Michigan

that isn't hiding inside a bottle of Seagram's Seven Crown.

that isn't hiding inside a bottle of Seagram's Seven Crown.

Indeed!:grin:

:fish2: :fish2: :fish2:

They are carrying this in the Maryville MO Hy Vee already. I forgot to check the price.

Just got a hold of the Bulleit Rye. I won't get into thoughts on transparency and what level of it the folks at Bulleit are at with this product, but I can say without question that it's a fine fine rye. Very unique and has a similar entry to the Double Rye! from High West - lots of gin botanicals, pine, spearmint, and floral flavors backed up mightily with fruit and vanilla spiked honey. It's truly delicious and a great value in my opinion.

I'm impressed by it. LDI makes some damn good whiskey. Maybe Chuck will get a peak inside some time after his recent post, and we'll learn more about how they do what they do.

All of the rye I have tasted from ldi has been really good stuff. I get a distinct dill weed note. I get it some for a few minutes when I run our rye.

All of the rye I have tasted from ldi has been really good stuff. I get a distinct dill weed note. I get it some for a few minutes when I run our rye.

I can absolutely see that. There's a very very green, fresh, herbal, floral nose and flavor to LDI's 95% rye. Even some of the older stuff, which I believe the Bulleit Rye is, has retained that flavor. A few years extra aging hasn't yanked it all out. For me, it's super interesting and I've always enjoyed it. Folks that have steered clear of rye, equating it with heat and over the top spice should give this a try. Little burn to speak of, just full of high note flavor and subtly sweet.

While nosing my Templeton rye tonight, I was picking up a dill pickle note as well.

Too funny.

While nosing my Templeton rye tonight, I was picking up a dill pickle note as well.

Too funny.

Well there you go! Looking forward to sipping some this week and checking that out.

I have to say that I am one of those really big fans of the tase of rye whiskey. My favorite whiskey is Sazerac 18 and a close second is the Van Winkle Ramily Reserve Rye. These are both expensive and hard to find (I am fortunate to have a few bottles of each) so I have been looking for more available and affordable ryes. I have all of the ryes that are available here in Atlanta (Beam, WT, Old Overholt, High West, etc.) and also ordered some Templeton to check that out. I have now learned (from reading here) that the Templeton and High West ryes are from LDI.

All that said, here comes the Bulleit Rye to Atlanta and wow what great flavor at an affordable price! I am really pleased with this whiskey. I have found my daily rye. I tasted some of the Templeton batch 2 and thought the flavor was great so I ordered some but could only get batch 3 and didn't like it quite as much. Now that I have the Bulleit, I need to open another of the Templetons and compare it to the High West and the Bulleit. Which High West is the most comparable to the Templeton?

OLCC price list for April posted today. Still don't see it.

They are carrying this in the Maryville MO Hy Vee already. I forgot to check the price.

Hy-Vee's generally carry Bulleit bourbon around here, I'm hoping they get the rye. I bet they do, given Iowa's sudden insatiable thirst for rye whiskey.

The LDI 95 rye is such a different style from something like Rittenhouse because it's made to be an ingredient in a blend. I find it flavorful and interesting but not well balanced. It just wants a bit more corn. Though it's not LDI, I get the same thing from WhistlePig and for the same reason. It was made to be a flavoring whiskey, an ingredient, not a drink in its own right. Age seems to help, as the Templeton and High West versions of the LDI rye are much older than the Bulleit and the Bulleit is older than the Redemption.

The LDI 95 rye is such a different style from something like Rittenhouse because it's made to be an ingredient in a blend. I find it flavorful and interesting but not well balanced. It just wants a bit more corn. Though it's not LDI, I get the same thing from WhistlePig and for the same reason. It was made to be a flavoring whiskey, an ingredient, not a drink in its own right. Age seems to help, as the Templeton and High West versions of the LDI rye are much older than the Bulleit and the Bulleit is older than the Redemption.

Whistlepig to me is just a massive massive rye with a lot of richness to it. I"d consider it a bourbon drinkers Rye. But I do agree with what your saying about the LDI juice being a high note component for blending. It doesn't need the weight because it wasn't originally intended to "go it alone". I'm sure glad some folks have put it out though, because it's so interesting and tasty.

As for High West, to my knowledge, the LDI juice they used was the 2 year for Double Rye! (younger than Bulleit and in line with Redemption) and the 6 year old for Rendezvous. I am not aware of the other older rye's for their blends being LDI products. Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's only the young ryes that are from LDI.

Reports I've seen indicate this Bulleit Rye being between 4-7 years of age.

I'm pretty confident the Bulleit Rye is 4 years and a day. So at six years for what Templeton and High West are using, that's some of the oldest LDI whiskey that has shown up. In the DD interview, Perkins mentioned that he sourced everything through Pernod, which I found very interesting. Assuming it was whiskey Pernod owned, they may have been responsible for it gaining some extra age, since it belonged to Pernod and LDI couldn't sell it. Wonder if that explains Templeton too, both WRT the age and the supply problems, i.e., Pernod only had so much to sell and everything LDI had was really young. But now we're speculating again.

Whistlepig probably stands for the proposition that age fixes everything, as it's 10 years old. I wonder if that came from Pernod too? They, not Beam, own the Walkerville Distillery.

I just picked up a bottle that I plan to open on vacation over by the Mississippi. Looking forward to giving it a shot. My wife will try it with ginger ale and I'll be straight. It will be darn fine whiskey just because of that! I got to try a healthy poor at the store before I bought it. The company rep was in and was giving samples. I was presently surprised that it was pretty good as I find that the Bulleit Bourbon is merely OK.

I don't like to try the healthy poor because I feel they have enough trials what with being poor and all.

At least they have their health. :)

I picked up a bottle today and have just now gotten into it. I wasn't expecting too much, but I am really impressed. I think it is well balanced and rather full flavored with a long finish. There is more sweetness than I was expecting. I was thinking it would be full of rye and grassy, but did not find that.

At this price range (low 20's) I will definitely buy more.

It's too early to judge, but I may like this better than Baby Saz. It's quite different from Rittenhouse, so harder to judge against.

Great job Bulliet (or LDI) !

Guest wripvanwrinkle

I also like it. The finish has more vanilla and goes on longer than I think it ought too...

finally saw it for 32 this afternoon, and just had to get a bottle. I have only smelled it so far, smells a lot like our Mckenzie rye, without the sherry. I will post my thoughts as soon as I get into it.

Just had a good snort of it. A lot lighter than I expected. I got a like of what call honeysuckle on the nose, and honey, clover honey in the taste. I get a lot of spearmint in the taste of it. I am not keen on all of the fancy tasting notes. I guess I am like I have heard Parker Beam say. Tastes like rye to me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.