Bulleit...Rye?

libertybar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I keep coming back to this, and other LDI whiskey. All I get is mint mint mint, and then rye. Interesting, but they are starting to become monotonous.

I agree with Tom's remarks.

By the way a Rittenhouse BIB (current issue) tasted last night at Sampler Gazebo was superb. I added a touch of water, which brought it to perfection.

Gary

I keep coming back to this, and other LDI whiskey. All I get is mint mint mint, and then rye. Interesting, but they are starting to become monotonous.

I love the mint (especially found in RR Rye) - and the pine cleaner. But the LDI offerings are fairly one dimensional, and comparatively over priced for most folks (although I can find Bulleit for about $23).

With WT101 Rye, Ritt BIB and with some searching even RR Rye & Baby Sazfor $25 and under, and Redemption & Bulleit appearing to be slightly higher than that, it makes it hard to consider them for regular pours.

Even R(1) has dropped in most places to below $25 - so what niche is a $28-$32 bottle of Bulleit & Redemption trying to fill? I like them for experimental purposes - and have enjoyed them, but neither is close to replacing the Ritt, WT or Russels, IMHO - even at the same price point.

Some people think the more rye the better, but I believe a straight rye needs that corn backbone. I'd like someone to do a 65/25/10 rye. I think that may be all the rye you want. 95 to 100 percent is too much.

I just bought a bottle last weekend. I like it, and certainly welcome another readily available rye on the local grocery store shelves. I would buy Sazerac over Bulleit though. The mintyness on the nose and when it first hit your mouth is a little much for me. I don't drink many cocktails, but I could see Bulleit being a go to rye for cocktail drinkers and bartenders.

I picked some up in KY. I like it but the lack of age is very apparent. It needs a little more body to it and some barrel character to mellow out the sharp rye attributes.

I'm glad I have only bought a LDI in the form of Bulleit since it seems to be the cheapest. It's an easy buy at $22 but if it was any more it would probably push my perception of the JUICE* more towards the negative.

* brought to you by the campaign to "Use the Word Juice More". We are bringing it back!

Some people think the more rye the better, but I believe a straight rye needs that corn backbone. I'd like someone to do a 65/25/10 rye. I think that may be all the rye you want. 95 to 100 percent is too much.

Grand Traverse Distillery up in Michigan makes a series of liqours:

100% Corn

100% Barley/Single Malt

100% Wheat

100% Rye

100% Single Malt (with 15% of the barley being peated).

You can then ask them to mix them in any proportion you like, buy a charred barrel (from 1 to 10 liters in size with their logo stamped on it - or buy elsewhere!) and then age your own vatted whiskey for 5-7 months, or however long you like!

I did 2 liters of 75% Rye/25% corn for 6 months, and am now aging the peated malt in that same cask for a "rye finished peated scotch"!

The High-rye vatting is really good, very farmy/grainey and young tasting, but super dark. We cheated a tad and topped off the angel's share with Rittenhouse BIB to help "round it" a bit... but at 120+ proof, it's quite hot and fire filled, but a fun drink. Sadly, it doesn't hold up to watering down very well... below 110 proof it starts to get weak and loses some flair.

I certainly don't see me selling it or having people beat down my door for this stuff (we did two liters of each total among a group of three of us), but it was a fun experiment and has inspired me to try more.

I've since bought a few more barrels to try some additional experiments - found a place here in TX with heavily charred barrels (not just toasted) that I may try aging some Redemption mixed with Rittenhouse in, and then finishing a couple of low-end peated Scotches with.

The peated-Scotch on Rye thing is a real neat concept, and nothing short of amazing when it comes out right!.

Over in the Whiskey Tree thread Josh has both Heaven Hill and Wild Turkey's ryes listed at 65/23/12. Is that not accurate?

No, it's not. Both are 51% rye, 39% corn, 10% malt. It might be a little more corn and a little less malt but every straight rye made as a straight rye, as distinguished from 'ingredient ryes' like Bulleit or WhistlePig, is 51% rye.

Grand Traverse Distillery up in Michigan makes a series of liqours...

I certainly don't see me selling it or having people beat down my door for this stuff (we did two liters of each total among a group of three of us), but it was a fun experiment and has inspired me to try more...

... I like it, and certainly welcome another readily available rye on the local grocery store shelves. I would buy Sazerac over Bulleit though. ...

I am very glad to see new ryes in the market. I find Bulleit Rye to be very, very good (9 on a scale of 10). The nose is wonderful, but not overpowering. The mouth feel is well-balanced, very smooth, and a very nice rye finish. It reminds me of a softer version of the High West Rendezvous Rye (I have Batch No. 5b and I find the High West Rendezvous to be excellent - 9.5 on a scale of 10). (At $24.95/bottle here in MI, I find Bulleit Rye to be a nice value.)

I find the 95% rye/5% barley ryes, if expertly blended and aged, to be inspired.

The Sazerac Rye 6 yr. is excellent - I wonder what its mashbill proportion is?

• 2 weeks later...

I find Bulleit Rye to be quite a delightful pour. I've never been a big rye fan simply because the ryes lying in the 20-30 dollar range have always seemed lacking in some aspect. With the Bulleit, I think that part of it may be the youth of the whiskey and another is the high rye content. Without the prominent wood you really get to savor the high rye flavor and quality of the distillate. Funny, seeing that I've never liked Bulleit Bourbon because of it's short aging.

I am very glad to see new ryes in the market. I find Bulleit Rye to be very, very good (9 on a scale of 10). The nose is wonderful, but not overpowering. The mouth feel is well-balanced, very smooth, and a very nice rye finish. It reminds me of a softer version of the High West Rendezvous Rye (I have Batch No. 5b and I find the High West Rendezvous to be excellent - 9.5 on a scale of 10). (At $24.95/bottle here in MI, I find Bulleit Rye to be a nice value.)

I find the 95% rye/5% barley ryes, if expertly blended and aged, to be inspired.

The Sazerac Rye 6 yr. is excellent - I wonder what its mashbill proportion is?

If Bulleit is 9 out of 10, that doesn't leave much variance for VWFRR, Vintage 21, Hirsch 22 and 25, Saz 18, Handy, BMH 23, Ritt 21, RittBIB, WT101Rye and Michter's 10, as they would all have to be 10s.:lol:

It gives them plenty of variance. The Rye scale goes to 11. :grin:

Amen brother... amen.

I have found Bulleit to be pretty low on the totem pole. I think Pikesville is a better pour and you can get a 1.75 of it for less than a 750 of Bulleit.

Although, if you like minty spirits, I can see how it would be quite a delight.

I have found Bulleit to be pretty low on the totem pole. I think Pikesville is a better pour and you can get a 1.75 of it for less than a 750 of Bulleit.

I'm quite fond of Pikesville Straight Rye - a clean, crisp rye at a great value. The problem is that it's only available in 3 to 4 states. (I pick up some when I drive through Maryland 2 or 3 times yearly.)

But Pikesville Rye is distinctly different that Bulleit Rye. I find the rye to be more pronounced and spicier in the Bulleit Rye.

as for the Bulleit I have had less mint in a Mojito....

The LDI stuff sticks out like a sore thumb in blind tastings. At first I thought "unique", but now it is becoming boring and medicinal. Note: I like cinnamon mouthwash, not mint.

I bought a bottle of this today. I will crack it open later and see if I like it.

I tried this last night. I like the nose... sour and grassy. The taste is kind of the same way, but in a good way. I don't think it stands up to the Saz.Jr. or the WT Rye that I've tried, but I like it and will probably buy it again.

The Bulleit rye is very different and I like it. I'd pick baby Saz over it any day, but the Bulleit is it's own thing and worth regarding as such, if you get me.

WT rye; I bought a bottle of this a couple years ago and shared it with about a dozen friends one night. None had had a rye before. No lie, every single person said "Yuck!" when they tasted it. Me too. Absolutely horrible. I mean spit it out horrible. I'd been raving to them about rye and with one taste they were turned against it forever. WT rye: HATED!!

Cheers!

The Bulleit rye is very different and I like it. I'd pick baby Saz over it any day, but the Bulleit is it's own thing and worth regarding as such, if you get me.

WT rye; I bought a bottle of this a couple years ago and shared it with about a dozen friends one night. None had had a rye before. No lie, every single person said "Yuck!" when they tasted it. Me too. Absolutely horrible. I mean spit it out horrible. I'd been raving to them about rye and with one taste they were turned against it forever. WT rye: HATED!!

Cheers!

Rye is a complex and assertive whiskey and I suggest other brands when introducing friends to the world of Rye. Pikesville Straight Rye (if you can get it in your state) is a perfect introductory Rye. Sazerac Rye (commonly called "baby Saz") and Russell's Reserve 6 yr. Rye also have the smoothness for being introductory Ryes. The Wild Turkey Rye in a traditional Manhattan would likely have gotten a more enthusiastic response from your friends.

I am also an aficionado of Islay single malt scotch, but am similarly cautious when introducing new Scotch drinkers to the single malt scotch world. I would first have them try one of the Highland single malts, and then perhaps Bunnahabhain (one of the less peaty Islays).

Cheers!

This is basically my feeling on the Bulleit rye, as well. It's different. I like it's difference. It's not a complex whiskey, but I find it's youngish grassiness to be pleasing. That said, I'd take Baby Saz over it any day, too, as Baby Saz is my gold standard for affordable ryes. But, the Bulleit is a nice change-up. I would, however, take the Bulleit over Ritt BIB, any day. Heresy, I know. But, what I like about the Bulleit (different), is what I don't care for in the Ritt (Not different. I can barely distinguish it from regular bourbon)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.