Bulleit...Rye?

libertybar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I wouldn't even consider Bulleit super premium, good stuff yes, super premium no.

Read the Bourbon Review article about it.

I'll have some of whatever they're smoking.

If I ever make a product of any kind I'll get them to write a review. That way I can just tell them what to write and not worry about any fact checking.

So, I'm coming late to the party here, but I just started seeing this on my local shelves, replacing ®i 1 . . .

I've perused this thread and not found a lot about the taste, but it seems like the Bulleit Rye is basically the same juice as the Willett Family Estate Rye except diluted to 45%?

I love the Willett -- minty as someone mentioned -- so presumably I would like the Bulleit as well. Even though I can't get the Willett locally, I'm thinking I'd rather just stick with that for only a few dollars more. (Unless, of course, I find myself hankering for rye and insufficiently stocked, which seems highly unlikely.) Does that logic jive?

It IS great to see something this exotic in the Whiskey Wasteland that is the great state of Maine, though. We got Buffalo Trace last month, too!

I cannot believe they published this.

Based on their usual high editorial standards? (It's pretty typical, actually.)

For those who have tried this new rye, how does it compare to Ritt BiB? I was looking for Ritt but a local store has the new Bulleit. I'm assuming they are comparable in price? I can get Ritt BiB for $21.

Eric

For those who have tried this new rye, how does it compare to Ritt BiB? I was looking for Ritt but a local store has the new Bulleit. I'm assuming they are comparable in price? I can get Ritt BiB for $21.

Eric

Having finally tasted the Rittenhouse... it tastes more like a high rye bourbon (to me) . The Bulleit is a very good pour, IMO. It definitely does not taste like a high rye bourbon. It is very minty, as some have noted, but it's a very good pour for the price. I'll buy it again, for sure.

Thanks fellas, I think I'm leaning more toward the Bulleit now as long as it's not more than $30 -ish.

Eric

Well I bit the bullet, and bought the Bulleit today (har, har!):lol:

It came to $38 after tax, and if it wasn't special ordered for me I would have never paid that much but you only live once, so what the heck?

It's definitely not as sweet as bourbon, and you can pick up the spice in the nose as well as the palate. I was expecting it to be a bit spicier for a 95% rye, but it was good nonetheless. Bulleit rye beats the pants off Old Overholt and JB Rye, although it's very similar to WT Rye.

I'm sure it would make a darn good rye and ginger beer, but $38 is a lot to pay for a mixer!

Eric

It came to $38 after tax, and if it wasn't special ordered for me I would have never paid that much but you only live once, so what the heck?

Bulleit is an easy pick at $25, but I'd lose interest beyond that...

It's good enough, but for a "wintergreen liquor" - I'd opt for RR Rye over this (the only rye remotely close to Bulleit for mint flavor), esp. since RR Rye can be found for mid-$20's in a lot of places.

Bulleit is an easy pick at $25, but I'd lose interest beyond that...

It's good enough, but for a "wintergreen liquor" - I'd opt for RR Rye over this (the only rye remotely close to Bulleit for mint flavor), esp. since RR Rye can be found for mid-$20's in a lot of places.

Whats the rye content in RR Rye? The 95% rye in Bulleit is what got my attention.

Eric

Whats the rye content in RR Rye? The 95% rye in Bulleit is what got my attention.

Eric

I think it's around 51% (the minimum), but I can't find confirmation.

Eric

Yet another reason to sticky the "Whiskey Tree" thread. Anyone???:skep:

Scratch another of of the gotta buy list. Local store finally got it back in stock after a bit of short term out of stock. Pass on it the first time it came in, spring BTAC was out along with the experimental's, so my focus was elsewhere.

First impressions, not what I was expecting for being such a high rye mash. It actually took me for being a bit on the tame side. If didn't get the mint that many others tasted either, if it was there, it was pretty faint.

I'd call it having a slim body, not too surprising for being such a relatively young one. But this doesn't distract from it's beguiling overall taste. With the low proof, very mellow-again, with being almost all rye, not the spice, bite, and boldness from lesser percentage mash bills.

But man, is it drinkable! :grin: I had low expectations going into it, but am surprised in the end. i certainly will buy this again, good price point, good flavor, and a unique niche product in using to compare to others. Probably like others, i would like to see this in a older version, but am not going to hold my breath on it.

Not that my opinion counts, but I'd give it a "go ahead and buy" if somebody asked me.

B

Yet another reason to sticky the "Whiskey Tree" thread. Anyone???:skep:

According to Regan & Regan, the WT Rye is 65% rye, but according to Chuck's recent postings based on more recent information, it's another one of the barely legal ryes.

I wish we had something more official than that but that's what we got for now. I'll email WT and ask them directly this week. If they don't respond, I will keep the 65% up as the mashbill, but with an asterisk to Chuck's information.

According to Regan & Regan, the WT Rye is 65% rye, but according to Chuck's recent postings based on more recent information, it's another one of the barely legal ryes.

I wish we had something more official than that but that's what we got for now. I'll email WT and ask them directly this week. If they don't respond, I will keep the 65% up as the mashbill, but with an asterisk to Chuck's information.

Don't hold your breath on a response, Josh. Every major Kentucky distiller would rather censor your tree, not provide clarity.:hot:

I wish we had something more official than that but that's what we got for now. ...

QUOTE=White Dog;251286]Don't hold your breath on a response, Josh. Every major Kentucky distiller would rather censor your tree, not provide clarity. ...

Don't hold your breath on a response, Josh. Every major Kentucky distiller would rather censor your tree, not provide clarity.:hot:

It would be great to get definitive insight to the mashbill rye % of most straight ryes. I had also heard that ~65% was common (other than the ryes with 95% & 100% statements) until Chuck's information. Unfortunately - as White Dog says - many distillers seem to feel this is 'proprietary' info....

Shell - a rye and single-mail scotch enthusiast from Michigan

I too wish there was more openess about this and many other things, but it's their right to keep it secret if they want to. I just wish they didn't want to. The only rye distillers who seem to be open about their mashbills are the ones who see a very high (95%+) rye content, presumably b/c they see it as a selling point.

I think I got it from Jimmy or Eddie directly, the 51%. If rye comes up I always ask and that's always the answer everywhere.

When you're talking to a distiller, they'll almost always answer any question you ask and answer it honestly, with the caveat that it has to be something in their purview, i.e., people will sometimes ask them marketing questions and they usually don't know those answers. A lot of times the people who won't answer because they claim the information is proprietary don't actually know the answer or even understand the question, so they claim confidentiality instead of admitting they're an idiot.

I think I got it from Jimmy or Eddie directly, the 51%. If rye comes up I always ask and that's always the answer everywhere.

When you're talking to a distiller, they'll almost always answer any question you ask and answer it honestly ... A lot of times the people who won't answer because they claim the information is proprietary don't actually know the answer or even understand the question, so they claim confidentiality instead of admitting they're an idiot.

A lot of times the people who won't answer because they claim the information is proprietary don't actually know the answer or even understand the question, so they claim confidentiality instead of admitting they're an idiot.

Well said.

I probably should have noted that such behavior is hardly limited to whiskey companies and their representatives.

• 1 month later...
If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Applies almost universally to any topic/area of discussion, doesn't it? :slappin:

FWIW: At a whiskyfest two years back, I asked lots of distillers about their mash bills, and most (but Jimmy Russel was a notable standout) were fully forthcoming - I was even typing what they were saying into my iPhone, and they didn't care - I was doing it for myself, I've never posted, shared, etc. - just stuff because I was curious about it (and Julian VW asked me to get the Old Fitz bill... but other than that...?:rolleyes: it was totally innocent).

I'd guess 9 out of 10 were thrilled to be asked the question. I may be naive, but at this particular event, it seemed that the distillers and top-dogs were as juiced to talk about their products as we fan boys were/are... Out of maybe 30-40 makers I talked to, only one was "aloof and distant," and most gave me more info than I was prepared to absorb (especially by the end of the evening!).

As long as it's for us fans, I really don't think the vast majority are that secretive...

The handful of micro-distillers I have asked either in person or via email have been very forthcoming as well on ryes and bourbons. I'm guessing they see it as a selling point.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.